Bomar Nibo Front Trapezoidal Hatch - hatch dog needed

Aug 15, 2014
Catalina 36 Deale, MD
The replacement Bomar hatch dog (with the grey slider lock) for their 87' era hatch does not latch to the existing aluminum hatch frame. Does anyone have a source (new or used) for what appears to be a NLA hatch dog? The folks at C Direct are working on this as well, but no luck so far. Hoping somebody here has a used starboard side one for sale.
Please see the attachments for the issue I am trying to solve.
Thanks

Attachments

Aug 15, 2014
Catalina 36 Deale, MD
Thank you for the reference. I just sent Bomar an email. (bomar@pompanette.com)

Feb 4, 2012
catilina 22 Roanoke,VA
You need to pull out some or all of the sizing washers then cut down the screw. It will fit after that. Make sure you use silicone grease on the o rings.

Aug 15, 2014
Catalina 36 Deale, MD
You need to pull out some or all of the sizing washers then cut down the screw. It will fit after that. Make sure you use silicone grease on the o rings.
Thanks for the tip. Didn't know there were shim washers in there. Unfortunately, after removing them all, the latch is still a 5/16" or so away from the frame. Guess I will look for some aluminum bar stock and JB weld it to the frame. With a little bit of polishing, thinking it could make it look like it came from the factory that way. Again, thanks for pointing out the shims. This will provide flexibility on selecting the bar stock.

Aug 15, 2014
Catalina 36 Deale, MD
Try cutting down the tube the screw fits in. If you cut it too short bring back the shims.
I looked into this as well and this might be my only option. However, the issue here is the female part (the part bolted to the hatch) would also need to be shaved about 3/16". Then the mount for the rod that holds the latch up needs to be cut down, the holes for the rod pin need to be redrilled and the grey locking tab needs to be cut down about 5/16". With all of that cutting/machining on a $40 "direct replacement" part rubs me the wrong way. Weird that both C-D and Bomar have not run into this issue before. Am I the only one that has broken a hatch dog? I was hoping someone here replaced their hatch with the new design and had a pair of old style dog laying around.
Finding some 1/4" squire aluminum stock is easy. I can polish and BJ weld this shim strike plate to the aluminum frame to look factory. Thinking this would be the easier and cleaner approach.
Last call!! I'll PayPal someone $40 if you have a starboard side hatch dog laying around.

Feb 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII Pasadena, MD
I am having the same issue with my 87 hatch dog, can't find a proper replacement. Down_shift what did you end up doing? Thanks!

Aug 15, 2014
Catalina 36 Deale, MD
I am having the same issue with my 87 hatch dog, can't find a proper replacement. Down_shift what did you end up doing? Thanks!
It doesn't leak with the one dog working.... so it has moved down the list of priorities!
I'll probably remove the washers and cut everything down 3/8" (male & female parts, screw (well purchase a shorter one)), and drill relocated hole for the supporting arm.
Thanks for the reminder, I need to bring the new hatch dog back home from the boat for the mods.

Feb 2, 2014
Thanks for the reply. If you don't mine I have one more question. The frame of my hatch does not sit flush with the deck but sits about 1/8" above it (about 1/8" of a gap between the frame edge and the deck), is yours the same or is it flush with the deck? I can see the sealant between the frame and deck (slightly recessed, so it isn't sticking out) and it looks like its time to replace so I most likely will re-bed the hatch frame this summer. Thanks.

Feb 2, 2014
Thanks Dave but that is just like the ones that don't fit, apparently they are the next generation of the dog (sounds like a rock band).

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Try calling Pompanette 603-826-5791 in Charlestown NH. There should be a serial # on the window. They can tell the model # and maybe still have parts available.

sirk76

May 6, 2016
Beneteau 44CC Virginia Beach
Had this problem too. Port side V-berth dog broken. Couldn't find a replacement so I 3d printed one. Hopefully the attachment works. It doesn't look perfect but functionally it works.
port_bomar-dog.jpg