Bomar hatch gasket Hunter 34

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Hi;
Just figured out all the Bomar hatch gaskets on my boat are crumbling away. Can anyone tell me where and how they replaced theirs? Have been to Bomar site and searched others to no avail - can't tell offhand what will fit and am afraid to peel mine out as they will disintigrate!

Thanks!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you need to know what type Bomar hatches you have and then do a search for the new gaskets...SBO can be a lot of help on these

Jul 4, 2015
Thats a part of the problem; i cant identify the hatch models other than the Bomar name.

Jul 4, 2015
Does someone have a list of the Bomar deck hatch models for the Hunter 34?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If they are like the attached picture of mine, I just Wednesday, installed this
http://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-X101...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
I figured it was pretty close..It is a "D" cross section, but I kinda pinched the gasket while installing and it glued in just fine. The hatch has a half round recess where the gasket goes. The old original stuff on mine was beginning to crumble but the glue was easy to peel off the hatch, taking the rubber mess with it. I really have no experience yet with it since I have only seen one rain on it and it didn't leak. I thought that the manufacturer wanted too much for the gasket .. IMG_0363.JPG

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Claude i have that same hatch on mine ...you can get the gasket i think from sbo it comes with the adhesive on it and peel off paper tape to expose the adhesive ....when you cut the material make it about 1/4 in longer than you need an use super glue to bond the ends together and you will have no cracks in the gasket

Nov 6, 2006
Here is a comparison of the cross sections. The piece on the right shows the half round bottom and the flattened top from lots of years of clamp force. The side of the piece shows the oxidation cracking of the old piece. As you can see, the new one on the left is a little narrower and taller. I figured when it got squashed, it would get a little wider and shorter and all would be good. P1040808.JPG You can magnify it quite a bit to look more closely..

Nov 6, 2006
Note that the small hatches over the head have their gaskets reversed from the two big hatches.. On the bigger ones, the rubber is in the lid.. on the little ones, the rubber is on the stationary frame mounted to the deck. I have not studied the gasket on the smaller ones yet..

Jul 4, 2015
Note that the small hatches over the head have their gaskets reversed from the two big hatches.. On the bigger ones, the rubber is in the lid.. on the little ones, the rubber is on the stationary frame mounted to the deck. I have not studied the gasket on the smaller ones yet..
Thanks for excellent pics; I will look into this. By chance do you recall which gasket the manufacturer called for if I want to go with original parts?

Thanks again for taking the time. Ilan

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If you call Pompanette (603-826-5791), they can figure out what hatch model you have by asking you a series of questions about specific dimensions, whether the frame is cast or extruded, etc. They really helped me on the phone, though I was standing on the boat with a tape measure when I made the call.

For the hatches on my J31, they wanted $5.50 a foot for the gasket seal material. For mine, that part number was P100-52, which was described as "Gasket 9/16 Closed Cell Neo". That should help Dave at the store here make a matchup.

Report back on your results, and your source. I need to do mine, and I would rather support the site and buy here if possible.

Jul 4, 2015
If you call Pompanette (603-826-5791), they can figure out what hatch model you have by asking you a series of questions about specific dimensions, whether the frame is cast or extruded, etc. They really helped me on the phone, though I was standing on the boat with a tape measure when I made the call.

For the hatches on my J31, they wanted $5.50 a foot for the gasket seal material. For mine, that part number was P100-52, which was described as "Gasket 9/16 Closed Cell Neo". That should help Dave at the store here make a matchup.

Report back on your results, and your source. I need to do mine, and I would rather support the site and buy here if possible.

Thanks; will check it out. Ilan