Bolts in tiller head

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
My wife broke my tiller last week (don't ask) and I ordered a new one from Ruddercraft for my Hunter 25.5. I have to have new holes drilled to mount the tiller head. The metal head that fastens the tiller to the rudder is fine, but looks different than almost every other one I've seen. The replacement heads and most I've seen on other boats have two bolts through the tiller, aligned horizontally and in the middle vertically. Mine has five bolts through the tiller...mostly spaced towards the top and bottom. I wonder if this didn't weaken the top layers of lamination that popped right above them (the tiller must have been several years old: I bought the boat two years ago).
Anyway, has anyone got a head with multiple bolts like this, or a 25.5 with a different configuration? Any thoughts on whether bolt position makes a difference?
tiller head.jpg

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
there are more bolts than is really necessary, (2 should be sufficient) but it didnt cause the weakness that allowed it to fail.... moisture in the bolt holes does that..... anything laminated does NOT like water.

when you get the proper sized holes drilled in the new one, remove it from the head and then drill them 1/16 oversized from what it takes to pass one of the mounting bolts thru it.... then mix some epoxy and use a swab to coat the inside of the holes with it..... let it cure and then give it another coat.
it should end up back to the proper size to accept the bolts without unnecessary looseness....

you could have removed the old tiller handle from the head, sawed it off and then reinstalled it, but it would have been a bit shorter...

make sure when you drill the new tiller handle that you get it pointing in the best direction for your preference.... a tiller that hangs too low is hard on the back....

May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
My wife broke my tiller last week (don't ask) and I ordered a new one from Ruddercraft for my Hunter 25.5. I have to have new holes drilled to mount the tiller head. The metal head that fastens the tiller to the rudder is fine, but looks different than almost every other one I've seen. The replacement heads and most I've seen on other boats have two bolts through the tiller, aligned horizontally and in the middle vertically. Mine has five bolts through the tiller...mostly spaced towards the top and bottom. I wonder if this didn't weaken the top layers of lamination that popped right above them (the tiller must have been several years old: I bought the boat two years ago).
Anyway, has anyone got a head with multiple bolts like this, or a 25.5 with a different configuration? Any thoughts on whether bolt position makes a difference?
View attachment 78645

My 25.5 also has 5 bolts, I have not had any problems with it so far.

Attachments

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Mine as well. No issues. I made a winter project out of mine and removed the old varnish, re coated it with 15 layers of marine varnish after staining it red mahogony. Came out really nice. I always put a tiller cover over it when not in use.