Bolt rope replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Patrick

I've been told that the bolt rope on my main has shrunk causing the sail to be baggy. Is replacement within the realm of the do it yourselfer? If so, what material is the bolt rope made of? The luff is 20', foot 7.5'. Thanks, Patrick

Attachments

B

Bob

Simple Fix

Hi Patrick, I cut the point where the bolt rope was sewn in at the luff then pulled the foot of the sail straight - and tacked the bolt rope. Think it had shrunk about 2" on a 10' foot. Used it for 5 years more before retirement. Bob

M

Mark Ploch

Simple Fix

Patrick, You could simply cut the stitching holding the rope in place at the tack of the sail. Then pull the luff straight and the bolt rope may slide up inside the luff Tape. Although the sails should also be seized at the reef, you are so close to the loft why not send it in? It is a quick nnd easy fix with the proper tools and know how.

T

Tim Stodola

Bob is correct

Hi Patrick, Welcome to the Doyle Sailmakers Forum. Bob has given you some good advice, but beware. This is a common problem and can usually be taken care of in the afore mentioned way. Sometimes however, Grommets for the luff slides impede the abilty to pull the bolt rope through, and in these instances, the grommets must be cut out before the bolt rope can be sucked up, and then the grommets replaced. You can try the easy fix, and if that does not work , consult your local sailmaker.

M

MArk

Baggy Holder

Patrick, Although I've heard it mentioned, I don't think I've ever seen a bolt rope that's shrunk. I have seen sailcloth stretched. What are the symptoms? Can't pull the head all the way up? Small creases running from the boltrope at an angle? Do you have the cabin model or the daysailor(DS)? Did you change the fractional rig with a bending mast? What other sail adjustment devices do you have? Cunningham? Outhaul? Vang? Traveler? Do you have the colorful Hobie sails or the tidy-whiteys? Could you provide some pictures showing the set problems? Any other information would be helpful. The Holder 17 reminds me of my first boat, a Venture 17, but it didn't have a backstay. (Brochure for the Holder 17 on link below) Happy Holder/Hobie/Coleman sails! _/), MArk

R

Robert Gentner

I believe that I have the same problem with my main. I am unable to trim the "baggies" out of my sail with the halyard, vang or main-sheet. I have heard from others that the bolt rope can be cut near the foot of the sail. Is that true? I have included a photo to illustrate the problem.

T

Tim Stodola

Baggies

Robert, welcome to the Doyle Sailmakers forum. It appears from your Photo that a tight bolt rope may be your problem. See the responses to the earlier question. Do not cut the Bolt rope.

M

MArk

Slack Leach

Robert, Your picture is an excellent example of a slack leach (symptom, not cause). First, be absolutely sure the sail is fully raised. Pull the mast down and check the pulleys and halyard to make sure they're not damaged or that the halyard is not off its pulley and everything slides freely. Re-roping a sail is very tricky because the sail cloth and rope stretch differently and you have to match them up properly while sewing to prevent the kind of problems you already have. Get a good book on sail repair and become very familiar with the procedure before you start ripping stiches. Better sails _/), MArk

P

Patrick

Baggy main

Thanks for all the replies! I'll try to attach the photo. I have the daysailer version, with the colored sails. The main, jib, and genoa all match, so I'd like to get more life out of the main if I can before I replce it. I'm wondering if its possible to have a new main made that matches the original?

R

Robert Gentner

Re: Slack Leach

Thanks to Tim and Mark for their replies. I have inspected the pulley, halyard and sail track and have seen no obvious damage. When I raise the main I allow the vang and main-sheet to become extremely slack and "hang" on the halyard to get the main hoisted as high as possible. I still end up with the "baggies." I am going to try to unstich the bolt rope at the tack of the sail as Mark suggested and see if that works. Thanks again for all of your help.

T

Tim Stodola

Deep Main

Hi again Patrick, Sometimes pictures say 1000 words. It would be easier to make a better judgment if we could see the sail in the loft. But, looking at the picture, I think your sail could probably use a luff curve reduction. This would help to remove some of the depth that is apparent in your sail. Your bolt rope may be tight as well, but the sail was probably very deep from the beginning. We can look at the sail and evaluate the options, at no charge. You can bring the sail to us or send it UPS. Please contact me at: timstodola@doyleplochsails.com

Status
Not open for further replies.