Bogs classic Ultra boots

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
I just got an invite to crew this weekend for a winter race and I need gloves and boots. I noticed WM is carrying bogs Classic Ultra boots. I am hoping someone else has some experience with these. Winter sailing in the Pacific Northwest and this weekend is supposed to be around freezing and wet. Also need gloves for same conditions.

Thanks,
JB

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I bought a pair about 10 years ago. nice boots... the neoprene is an insulating factor, they are very comfortable (may have to use an insole or arch support, depending on your foot), but they can be a bit hard to put on and take off, especially if you get sweaty feet or they otherwise get damp inside... i found its best to use heavy socks for more insulation and to take up a bit of space, because you will probably want to buy a half size bigger so they will slip on and off easier...

the soles are grippy on the deck which is a really good thing....
but who knows... they may have found cheaper rubber and ways of making them, since i bought the pair I had...
as for gloves, any dive store has good heavy neoprene gloves (too heavy and you lose dexterity), but they also carry neoprene wetsuit boots, (the good ones are called rock boots, decently heavy soles)....
west marine probably has all you need, but its good to have options:D

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
I bought a pair about 10 years ago. nice boots... the neoprene is an insulating factor, they are very comfortable (may have to use an insole or arch support, depending on your foot), but they can be a bit hard to put on and take off, especially if you get sweaty feet or they otherwise get damp inside... i found its best to use heavy socks for more insulation and to take up a bit of space, because you will probably want to buy a half size bigger so they will slip on and off easier... the soles are grippy on the deck which is a really good thing.... but who knows... they may have found cheaper rubber and ways of making them, since i bought the pair I had... as for gloves, any dive store has good heavy neoprene gloves (too heavy and you lose dexterity), but they also carry neoprene wetsuit boots, (the good ones are called rock boots, decently heavy soles).... west marine probably has all you need, but its good to have options:D
Thank you! Did the Bogs feel bulky climbing around the boat?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Those boots do not breathe. For short jaunts them might be OK but for a full day you might want proper breathable sea boots.

As for gloves, nothing will ruin your day winter sailing like cold hands. We use these gloves from Walmart; dry, toasty warm, and cheap enough to throw away if they get torn up.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Celsius-Neoprene-Gloves/16637127

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
Thanks for glove input. As far as boots go, it's just crazy that prices jump from 100-400. Not much in the middle.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thanks for glove input. As far as boots go, it's just crazy that prices jump from 100-400. Not much in the middle.
Scour around on-line for the Sperry Ventus boot. It's last years model and can sometime be found for over 50% off.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
ware Smart wool socks prolly the best sock you can find and they come in all sorts of thicknesses and last for ever......no i don't own stock...just think they are the best.....

oh and you can if you get tired of them use them to apply your teak oil then through them away lol...

regards

woody

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Thank you! Did the Bogs feel bulky climbing around the boat?
not bulky at all....very comfortable. the bog boots can be found about half price of WM, at a farm store.

but as they are neoprene, they will hold a bit of moisture on the outside of them and cause the "swamp cooler" cooling effect as the wind blows over the wet material. extra soxs are recommended...

the speery boots that Jackdaw recommended are excellent boots, but until you get used to them, almost any kind of boots are going to feel bulkier than street shoes...