Bobstay on TR

Mar 10, 2014
Catalina 30 GYB, Sasafrass River, MD
Anyone have this issue before?
See picture.

Wondering what to do.
Thinking of just tightening the bolts.
Backing plate & bolt threads look good but unsure why this happened in the first place.

Thanks!

Attachments

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
I had a similar problem with the bow eye on a C22. There is a wooden backer between the hull and small backer plate that was rotted and collapsed. Catalina Direct has a delrin backer as a replacement. I also see on the CD website that there is a bobstay backer for C27. Maybe Catalina used the same design on the C30.

Oct 29, 2014
catalina 30 MKII DCYC
Yes, I have a Cat 30 and did the same procedure but used a block of hard oak cut into a "V" to fit in the bow.

The factory wood block was mush after 30 years.

However as Kingjim91 states if they have delrin replacement that would be good also.
You need a friend on the outside of the boat. You on the inside with a ratchet and simply pull the bolts, insert new block of delrin or oak, as in my case, re-insert and tighten up. Seal with appropriate sealant between inside and out side of bow.
Regards,
Nels

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I've owned two Catalina's and it still BLOWS MY MIND that they would use wood for structural parts of boats. I know they didn't plan on them still kicking after 40 years, but wow.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
Yes, I have a Cat 30 and did the same procedure but used a block of hard oak cut into a "V" to fit in the bow.

The factory wood block was mush after 30 years.

However as Kingjim91 states if they have delrin replacement that would be good also.
You need a friend on the outside of the boat. You on the inside with a ratchet and simply pull the bolts, insert new block of delrin or oak, as in my case, re-insert and tighten up. Seal with appropriate sealant between inside and out side of bow.
Regards,
Nels
Hogheaven - I agree the hardwood block would be a good alternative. It would at least get by for another 30 years!