Boatyard shut down due to COVID

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Both of the governors of Virginia and Maryland stated several types of outdoor recreational facilities may remain open, including marinas. If they -- with the advice they have available -- say this is OK I'm guessing that going to the marina is OK.
Regardless of whether the governors say it's OK, I would take into account the specific situation at your marina. If you can walk from the parking lot straight to your boat (and back) without encountering a soul or touching stuff, that is different from a facility laid out where encountering other people may be hard to avoid. Being out is not the issue as such. Encountering other people (or virus they may have left behind) as well as leaving behind virus (if you are unknowingly a carrier) is the issue.

At my marina it is easy to go from my boat to the parking lot and back without encounting anyone. Therefore, I have no problem going to my boat. It would also be easy to use the marina restroom, but that's something I think unwise. Who knows who may have been in there 5 minutes before I arrived? Furthermore, if despite being utterly asymptomatic I am actually infected (and none of us knows this for certain without a test), I don't want to leave any gifts behind in the restroom for anyone else. It's not just about protecting myself but about protecting others as well.

My boat has everything I need aboard anyway, so other than the trip to and from the parking lot (i.e., when the docks are empty, as they mostly are now), I see no reason for particular concern. I'll just stay aboard for as long as I'm down here.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
So went to the marina yesterday and check with the office about the “Indiana hunker down” order and what was happening at the marina...it is a city-owned municipal marina. All I saw was shrugged shoulders.

I said, well if you are shutting down, let me know and you can put my boat in. And I went out to the yard, removed the cover, wiped down the hull and got ready to apply a cost of VC17.

i chatted with a neighbor, who stored at my marina, but keeps his boat at another marina. He decided to splash right away so he didn’t get “trapped” by the potential shut down. I decided to put in after him.

So, I rushed through the bottom paint, put a new anode on the shaft, closed all the thru hulls, bumped the engine to make sure she would turn over, and put her in the water.

She REALLY needed to be washed and waxed, she is filthy....but when I asked if they could put me in on Wednesday (today), they said “Don’t know if we will be working”. So we splashed.

View attachment 176445

after I got her tied up in her slip, I walked back to the parking lot to get my shore power cable....and a marina worker met me and said, well, we are closing, so you can’t come back for 2 weeks :facepalm:

I asked if the marina is taking full responsibility for my boat if something happens to her, because they wouldn’t let me check on my personal property...of course , the poor kid doesn’t know how to answer.

I did not go out to the marina today, but will go out on Saturday to see if I can get past the guard and check on Tally Ho. If they block me from entering and looking after my boat, I may tell them to pull me back out...but of course, I think they furloughed the yard workers :banghead:

This world is going MAD !

Greg
So, I went out to the marina this morning to check on Tally Ho. Security guard would not let me in. Told me he would have to call the police if I tried to walk in.

left and called the marina office (left message) and when I got home, reached out via email to the town manager.

later in the afternoon, I got a call from the marina manager, and he said, “ if you want to check on your boat, go ahead. I cleared it with the security people....just show them your ID“

So I ran back out to the marina, added a few fenders, doubled the dock lines and added a spring Line. Pumped out the bilge and locked her up. Expecting some severe weather tonight, so thankful that I was able to check on the boat.

Monday, I will take up the battle with the bureaucracy to see why I cannot visit my own boat, as long as I am not using any marina services or congregating with others. I am 1 of 2 boats in the whole marina (in the water). I am thinking I won’t be running into to many people. My boat is self-contained, so I don’t the marina staff or services for anything.

Greg

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Monday, I will take up the battle with the bureaucracy to see why I cannot visit my own boat, as long as I am not using any marina services or congregating with others. I am 1 of 2 boats in the whole marina (in the water). I am thinking I won’t be running into to many people. My boat is self-contained, so I don’t the marina staff or services for anything.

Greg
Maybe you can't get to your boat because of the stay at home order in your state. What part of this do you not understand?

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Anybody watching the continued increase in the number of positive cases? Exceeding 112,000 nationwide and increasing rapidly. Doubled over 3 days last week. We are no where near the peak of this thing.
If everyone complied with the orders we might stand a chance of getting through this more quickly. As long as people continue to be cowboys and think they are invincible this is going to go on for a long time.

I love my boat as much or more then the next guy and I have a lot invested in it, but come on. People are dying and it is after all just boating.
Lets think about what is required to get through this and what it will take to get the world back up and running. If we all do our part we can hopefully get through it more quickly.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Anybody watching the continued increase in the number of positive cases? Exceeding 112,000 nationwide and increasing rapidly.
Not to turn this into a pathogen debate but its worth noting only 10% of those tested showed a positive result, 10% of those cases require hospitalization and the vast majority have or are reported recovered/recovering. According to my elementary school arithmetic, that 112k figure doesn't represent the actual severity.

More important, all of our local boat yards are open access for owners, people are taking common sense seriously and everyone is either staying at home or aboard except for essential excursions for necessities.

Everyone stay healthy

Jan 7, 2011
Maybe you can't get to your boat because of the stay at home order in your state. What part of this do you not understand?
Recreation is OK, as long as we are not congregating. I consider my boat recreation. I can go from my home to my boat without coming in contact with anyone. I have to get through the guard gate...

Consider this, the City also owns various parks and beaches. People are allowed to go to the parks and beaches, as long as they don’t congregate. I was out there this morning and saw people fishing and walking... BUT there is no gate to the park.

The marina is really no different, except they have a security gate...and they are using that to keep people (including slip holders and boat owners from being in the marina.

Greg

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
NH has shut everything down. The beach, state parks, boat ramps. All the ski areas voluntary shut down 2 weeks ago.

I really do understand being on the boat thing. I'm at least 2 months away from launching my sailboat so I dragged my 14' aluminum out a week ago thinking we'd do some fishing. I have 5 nice ponds/small lakes all within 3-10 miles of my house, Can't launch... What can you do?

Stay safe!

Correction to the above. The Governor of NH has decided not to shut the State Parks down so people can hike. Boat ramps are still closed thou. Figure that one out....

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
...If everyone complied with the orders we might stand a chance. As long as people continue to be cowboys and think they are invincible this is going to go on for a long time...
I don’t think it is at all practical that everyone stay locked inside their homes. People need to go out for food, medicine, etc. The PURPOSE of the stay at home orders isn’t to STOP the spread of the disease, it is to slow down the spread and flatten the curve of people getting it. This is important to keep from overwhelming the healthcare systems (Hospitals). So we are in for a long battle with this virus. And the more successful we are at “stay at home”, the longer the battle will be.

If I can enjoy my boat in relative safety, and not subject myself or others to potential exposure, why should I not be able to do that? I certainly do not think I am acting recklessly or endangering others.

And for the record, this cowboy went out today to give blood...risking exposure because people need blood.

Greg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
with the updated info being shared about the virus that i have seen, i think your spot on greg. now, double up all your lines to protect your boat from the gales of early spring here on the lakes.
giving blood is great greg, very important

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I don’t think it is at all practical that everyone stay locked inside their homes. People need to go out for food, medicine, etc. The PURPOSE of the stay at home orders isn’t to STOP the spread of the disease, it is to slow down the spread and flatten the curve of people getting it. This is important to keep from overwhelming the healthcare systems (Hospitals). So we are in for a long battle with this virus. And the more successful we are at “stay at home”, the longer the battle will be.

If I can enjoy my boat in relative safety, and not subject myself or others to potential exposure, why should I not be able to do that? I certainly do not think I am acting recklessly or endangering others.

And for the record, this cowboy went out today to give blood...risking exposure because people need blood.

Greg
well other than the yard workers who have to come to work to launch your boat and they too become at risk. But if your boat is already launched go for it. Just don’t go near anyone else anywhere. And for sure don’t call the coast guard for help, stop for fuel, get a pump out, or anything else that requires others to come out of isolation to help you.

yes grocery stores are allowed and unfortunately they are one of the most likely places to get exposed. But what choice do we have?

yup lets hope we can flatten the curve but reports today are that the positives went up again so we haven’t reached the peak by any means. And we are seeing it move from the major metropolitan areas to smaller cities and rural areas. Experts are estimating that we are a few weeks away from a leveling off If we are lucky.
As you point out, many of us are likely to get it and the hope is that it will be mild and that the hospitals will be able to take those who become seriously ill (but at least according to what I’m reading the New York, Boston, Chicago and Detroit are already beginning to buckle under the crush so it isn’t looking good) before they get too sick and die.

I not old enough to have experienced World War II or the depression but from what I’ve read, the stories of shared sacrifice and pulling together sure are inspirational.

hearing many of those stories surfacing today and hoping we can all come together and get through this together

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
...But if your boat is already launched go for it. Just don’t go near anyone else anywhere. And for sure don’t call the coast guard for help, stop for fuel, get a pump out, or anything else that requires others to come out of isolation to help you...
Most times i go to the boat, i do not meet anyone in normal conditions unless I go out of my way to do so. The gates are card-locked, the pump out is self-serve, the fuel dock has always had hand sanitizer, tanks is full and only filled at end of season typically. Sounds pretty isolated to me.

For some perspective, typically each day the US has 7,450 deaths per day from all causes.

Jan 7, 2011
well other than the yard workers who have to come to work to launch your boat and they too become at risk. But if your boat is already launched go for it. Just don’t go near anyone else anywhere. And for sure don’t call the coast guard for help, stop for fuel, get a pump out, or anything else that requires others to come out of isolation to help you.

yes grocery stores are allowed and unfortunately they are one of the most likely places to get exposed. But what choice do we have?

yup lets hope we can flatten the curve but reports today are that the positives went up again so we haven’t reached the peak by any means. And we are seeing it move from the major metropolitan areas to smaller cities and rural areas. Experts are estimating that we are a few weeks away from a leveling off If we are lucky.
As you point out, many of us are likely to get it and the hope is that it will be mild and that the hospitals will be able to take those who become seriously ill (but at least according to what I’m reading the New York, Boston, Chicago and Detroit are already beginning to buckle under the crush so it isn’t looking good) before they get too sick and die.

I not old enough to have experienced World War II or the depression but from what I’ve read, the stories of shared sacrifice and pulling together sure are inspirational.

hearing many of those stories surfacing today and hoping we can all come together and get through this together
Yes, my boat is in the water. I am one of 2 boats in the whole marina.

I really am not insensitive to the need to make social sacrifices.

I just want to use boat as my “home”...

Maybe I just have a bout of cabin fever ;)

Greg

Feb 1, 2013
Pearson Wanderer Chesapeake
I love in the mountains of southwest Virginia. This weekend offered beautiful weather. Let me tell you the motorcycle riders showed no guilt whatever about not staying home.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Yes, my boat is in the water. I am one of 2 boats in the whole marina.

I really am not insensitive to the need to make social sacrifices.

I just want to use boat as my “home”...

Maybe I just have a bout of cabin fever ;)

Greg
oh I hear you on that! Been locked down for 2 weeks now. Was so appreciative when the weather was nice and could at least walk the dog but it’s been raining since Friday so that’s out now too.

We try to keep in perspective though and I’m maybe just a little touchy. My daughter and son in law are in Japan (Air Force) and our grandson decided that he couldn’t wait and came 10 weeks early (3 pounds). Japanese hospital 40 minutes away because the base hospital couldn't handle that young a premie.
If that isn’t enough some guy in the city where the hospital is located decided that he wasn’t going to be told what to do and that social Distancing didn't apply to him, so he takes off for a tour of Spain. Contracts the virus, comes home to Japan and gives it to his wife. They in turn travel around town visiting clinics seeking treatment. Now over a dozen people infected. And they are all housed in the hospital where my grandson is. The base commander has declared the City off limits so my daughter and son in law are trying to figure out if/ how they can visit and to get food to the baby.

Stay safe all!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
oh I hear you on that! Been locked down for 2 weeks now. Was so appreciative when the weather was nice and could at least walk the dog but it’s been raining since Friday so that’s out now too.

We try to keep in perspective though and I’m maybe just a little touchy. My daughter and son in law are in Japan (Air Force) and our grandson decided that he couldn’t wait and came 10 weeks early (3 pounds). Japanese hospital 40 minutes away because the base hospital couldn't handle that young a premie.
If that isn’t enough some guy in the city where the hospital is located decided that he wasn’t going to be told what to do and that social Distancing didn't apply to him, so he takes off for a tour of Spain. Contracts the virus, comes home to Japan and gives it to his wife. They in turn travel around town visiting clinics seeking treatment. Now over a dozen people infected. And they are all housed in the hospital where my grandson is. The base commander has declared the City off limits so my daughter and son in law are trying to figure out if/ how they can visit and to get food to the baby.

Stay safe all!
I sure hope things work out for your family, and I understand why this is personal to you.

Greg