Boatyard shut down due to COVID

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
My boat yard is wide open.. One boat, MINE ! Actually in my lower driveway.. Allows for offseason work, whenever...

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Maryland ordered all non-essential businesses closed yesterday. Shortly after that we got a notice from our marina that they would be closing operations, but that people could still come to check on their boats as necessary.
Today we got an update that based on clarification of the state’s mandate they will be able to remain in operation. People still can’t go into their store or office, but it sounds like at least for now they’ll be able to keep launching boats and getting things ready for Spring.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Except for Miami where they are closed to avoid giant ad hoc sandbar parties violating the social distancing requirements for the pandemic.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Maryland ordered all non-essential businesses closed yesterday. Shortly after that we got a notice from our marina that they would be closing operations, but that people could still come to check on their boats as necessary. Today we got an update that based on clarification of the state’s mandate they will be able to remain in operation. People still can’t go into their store or office, but it sounds like at least for now they’ll be able to keep launching boats and getting things ready for Spring.
Hhmmm... Just saw a neighbor tonight who was told by Bert Jabinns Yard they could not launch his boat, even though it was sceduled. May need a closer look at that one?

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
in PA we can't drive unless it's for groceries, medic assistance, or a job in a 'life sustaining industry.' which boats aren't.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Our marina has lots of liveaboards. I assume they can't close access for that reason.

Ken

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
in PA we can't drive unless it's for groceries, medic assistance, or a job in a 'life sustaining industry.' which boats aren't.
"Travel Bans" in various states seems to be an internet meme that is not accurate. This just came up in NY and I could not find a current reliable source that cited a current travel ban. I also just checked for Pennsylvania and could not find a general travel ban, there is a ban on travel for PA government employees for out of state travel. The sites I checked were PA and NY government sites, no mention of a general travel ban.

EDIT: Right after posting this I saw this article from the local TV News.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Maine's largest city Portland will place in effect at 18:00hrs today an 5 day required self confinement.. Only emergency services will be allowed out. A $500. fine for violations.

Jan 11, 2014
Maine's largest city Portland will place in effect at 18:00hrs today an 5 day required self confinement.. Only emergency services will be allowed out. A $500. fine for violations.
The link below goes directly to the order. There are some exceptions. You can still walk your dog and walk for exercise. Brick and Mortar businesses must close, but some workers can go in to take care of necessary business, like pay roll, banking, etc.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
So went to the marina yesterday and check with the office about the “Indiana hunker down” order and what was happening at the marina...it is a city-owned municipal marina. All I saw was shrugged shoulders.

I said, well if you are shutting down, let me know and you can put my boat in. And I went out to the yard, removed the cover, wiped down the hull and got ready to apply a cost of VC17.

i chatted with a neighbor, who stored at my marina, but keeps his boat at another marina. He decided to splash right away so he didn’t get “trapped” by the potential shut down. I decided to put in after him.

So, I rushed through the bottom paint, put a new anode on the shaft, closed all the thru hulls, bumped the engine to make sure she would turn over, and put her in the water.

She REALLY needed to be washed and waxed, she is filthy....but when I asked if they could put me in on Wednesday (today), they said “Don’t know if we will be working”. So we splashed.

C1EB66ED-88BE-4C52-A335-1E729C3BCCF0.jpeg

after I got her tied up in her slip, I walked back to the parking lot to get my shore power cable....and a marina worker met me and said, well, we are closing, so you can’t come back for 2 weeks :facepalm:

I asked if the marina is taking full responsibility for my boat if something happens to her, because they wouldn’t let me check on my personal property...of course , the poor kid doesn’t know how to answer.

I did not go out to the marina today, but will go out on Saturday to see if I can get past the guard and check on Tally Ho. If they block me from entering and looking after my boat, I may tell them to pull me back out...but of course, I think they furloughed the yard workers :banghead:

This world is going MAD !

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
So went to the marina yesterday and check with the office about the “Indiana hunker down” order and what was happening at the marina...it is a city-owned municipal marina. All I saw was shrugged shoulders.

I said, well if you are shutting down, let me know and you can put my boat in. And I went out to the yard, removed the cover, wiped down the hull and got ready to apply a cost of VC17.

i chatted with a neighbor, who stored at my marina, but keeps his boat at another marina. He decided to splash right away so he didn’t get “trapped” by the potential shut down. I decided to put in after him.

So, I rushed through the bottom paint, put a new anode on the shaft, closed all the thru hulls, bumped the engine to make sure she would turn over, and put her in the water.

She REALLY needed to be washed and waxed, she is filthy....but when I asked if they could put me in on Wednesday (today), they said “Don’t know if we will be working”. So we splashed.

on edit...
oh yeah, forgot to say that as I was taking the cover off, I remembered I took the wheel and AP drive home over the winter...and they were still in my basement. Thankfully the Admiral was home and brought the wheel out to the marina...I wasn’t looking forward to using the emergency tiller as my first time on the boat this year.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Everett sent out a mess on Monday. Said they will have restrooms open, one each Central, North, and South. Limited or no fuel times. Access but admonish all marina users to keep their distance. Many of the yard or marina services will be restrict not available. But the Port is an essential business and will be serving the community, though in a limited capacity.

No chitchatting with the ladies in the marina office.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
The marina, seaview harbor, we stay in over the summer is open for boat access... the office and everything else is closed.. so if you were lucky enough to get there, you'd be in.. in NJ we are not allowed out except for the following..
  • obtaining essential goods or services
  • seeking medical attention
  • visiting family or close friends
  • reporting to work
  • engaging in outdoor activities.
I would consider sailing an outdoor activity.. so if you were lucky enough to get the boat in, you'd be able to use it..

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Hhmmm... Just saw a neighbor tonight who was told by Bert Jabinns Yard they could not launch his boat, even though it was sceduled. May need a closer look at that one?
Yesterday I received email from Herrington Harbour North (Deale, MD) that they were open and conducting business, though with some modifications. Mods are no customers in the office, social distancing, etc. The marinas in Virginia are also open.

Jan 11, 2014
Yesterday I received email from Herrington Harbour North (Deale, MD) that they were open and conducting business, though with some modifications. Mods are no customers in the office, social distancing, etc. The marinas in Virginia are also open.
Received a similar email from my marina. Office closed, use email or a phone. No parties or gatherings. Clubhouse and bathrooms are closed. Otherwise, they plan to start launching boats on April 15.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
if i can get from my house to my boat without being near or interacting with anyone, i dont see any harm in that. that is still honoring the overall mission to keep the spread at bay.
If you can do it ,of course, but how many can do it with stopping somewhere along the way for, say supplies, or someone stops for a chat. You want to take that chance?

Jan 7, 2011
If people don't start to take this more seriously ,nobody will be sailing .
I have been sequestered in my house for a week. But I don’t see any reason I cannot be at the marina, not in contact with others. My sanity may very well depend it.

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
If you can do it ,of course, but how many can do it with stopping somewhere along the way for, say supplies, or someone stops for a chat. You want to take that chance?
The guidelines we have here in NY are to limit contact, no large groups a large group being defined as 3 people, and keep 6 feet away. Once at the marina, I'm the only one on the boat. Along the way, I bought gas at a self-serve gas station and a sandwich at the grocery market. At the market, I and most if not all people entering used hand sanitizer. At the check out the belt was sanitized before I put the sandwich container on it and the CC reader was sanitized before I used it. The Cashier asked that I stay 6 feet away until I paid and picked up the sandwich and left. I was never less than 3 feet from anyone and then only for a few seconds.

The probability that I transmitted the virus was exposed to the virus is exceedingly low under those conditions. So, yes I was willing to take the chance. At 68 I am in one of the higher risk groups.