Boatyard shut down due to COVID

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
Anyone else's boatyard shutdown? went down this morning and found a note on a locked gate. "Closed until further notice due to Coronavirus, call the office with any questions"..

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It is still early in the season here so the impact on the marina has been limited and it is a small marina, 3 full time employees and an owner. Last week the owner closed the office to visitors and asked that we maintain distance from the other 2 employees. The common areas are not open yet because the water is still turned off, however, the owner said they may remain closed depending on the pandemic progresses. They still plan on launching boats starting April 15.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
My problem is i have a new fuel tank and lines to install and complete my PSS install prior to launch. so about 15 hours of work to do before i can get dipped.. Also a new Dodger should be getting installed next week also by a third party..

Jan 11, 2014
My problem is i have a new fuel tank and lines to install and complete my PSS install prior to launch. so about 15 hours of work to do before i can get dipped.. Also a new Dodger should be getting installed next week also by a third party..
Looks like you are going to have to wait a while.:(

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We had a club volunteer work party scheduled for tomorrow that we cancelled. I can still get to my boat in the yard.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Got an email from our yard this morning that they are still open and working to get ready for spring. Said they have some delays getting parts and would like customers to avoid in-person contact with the staff, but sounds ok otherwise.

I’m going to try to paint the bottom this afternoon, and try to get in the water sooner than later if possible.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Marina sent out a note that all "non-essential" businesses may be closed. We can still get in and sail, but their message was along the lines of: ...if this happens, we won't be able to check on your boats every day..

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
BillyK, I bet your at Thompson’s marina. I went there today and saw the notice on the closed gate. The owner said hes concerned for his workers. I understand that but I work on my own boat and rarely see anyone. When I do they are a distance away. All I need the marina to do is throw on some bottom paint and put her in the water. No human contact needed.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
BillyK, I bet your at Thompson’s marina. I went there today and saw the notice on the closed gate. The owner said hes concerned for his workers. I understand that but I work on my own boat and rarely see anyone. When I do they are a distance away. All I need the marina to do is throw on some bottom paint and put her in the water. No human contact needed.
If you're good with them doing that, it might be an option for you. i do know that they deliver boats to the slip as well.. i'm not so lucky with the lack of a fuel system on board at the moment..

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Anyone else's boatyard shutdown? went down this morning and found a note on a locked gate. "Closed until further notice due to Coronavirus, call the office with any questions"..
Crowleys Boat Yard in Chicago puts on a big party every spring, putting on seminars, boat auction, flea market and VC17 paint sale.

It was supposed to be tomorrow (March 21).

I called last week, and found out that they postponed “Yacht-palooza”. I asked about the paint sale...and was told to come in to the ship store any time during regular hours... so I planned to go tomorrow to get paint and other supplies.

Today at 3:00, Illinois was put a “Stay at home” order in place...so I ran out to the ship store and grabbed my 3 quarts of VC17 and magnesium shaft anode so I can get boat ready to splash.

Now, if my only marina doesn’t close down before April 1, when it is supposed to open.

Gotta get the boat wet before things shut down completely...I need my social distance on the lake!

Greg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My marina was still open as of Wed. It's small with only a couple of people in the office and 3 yard guys usually too busy to get close to chat. And they don't have gates so while they may close, I'll still have access to the boat.
Trying to get as much work done before any stay at home order. I could be ready to launch by end of next week. Then I'll be glad to stay at my "2nd" home.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
The benefits of a tiny marina. There is no gate. I plan to keep sailing, since I won't see anyone. I can understand reducing services and closing the clubhouse.

I'm not a denier. I am very concious of avoiding contact, not just be cause of me, but because of the impact on everyone. The spread is clearly exponential.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
If you're good with them doing that, it might be an option for you. i do know that they deliver boats to the slip as well.. i'm not so lucky with the lack of a fuel system on board at the moment..
Hang in there Bill! Hop the fence if you have to work on the boat! I hope to visit mine over the weekend, I believe I still have access...

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The contractor painting our bottom said that one (of around 15) marinas in Sandusky is closed. Ours is open. (Sandusky Harbor Marina)

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
My marina is still open with no changes in operation other than the social distancing rules. Water is scheduled to be on next week. Since I am not doing much else it will be Boat time!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Well, it sounds like NJ boatyards/marinas will be closed as of 9pm tonight. I don't see how they would be categorized as "essential businesses". As I said earlier ours isn't gated so if I can get there I can work on the boat.

No non essential travel but visiting family is allowed. Also, family and romantic partners are exceptions to the 6' social distancing requirements.
I've been told I'm married to my boat so I figure I can travel to visit it and get close to it.

Times are a changing. Hopefully this swings the tide on the virus and is short lived.

Dec 27, 2012
I watched the Governors speech and agree with what Ward says. So now I’m waiting to see if my marina is going to compensate for lost time. No notice yet but it is the weekend.

Jan 11, 2014
Do you have access to your boat during non-working hours? If the marina business office is open from 9 to 5, can you access your boat at 6 PM? If so, then I think it would reasonable to work on your boat even if the business is closed. No different from sitting in your car in the parking lot of a closed restaurant.

Dec 27, 2012
No, it’s gated. The owner lives on site. BillyK and I are boiling over this. Hopefully this situation doesn’t last long.

Jan 11, 2014
No, it’s gated. The owner lives on site. BillyK and I are boiling over this. Hopefully this situation doesn’t last long.
That sucks. Perhaps a polite conversation about allowing access, but not providing any marina services and keeping buildings closed might be productive, especially if you know of other marinas near by that are allowing access that have vacant slips.