BoatUS weather site gone

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I just tried to open the usual link for "my boat us" and it defaulted to their main billing site (membership, insurance, towing...) .

I had a list of ports set up that displayed weather for 6 days out, in a very handy format.

Now all gone.
While I can get this info from lots of other sites, the BoatUS site was a very concise page.
Anyone know what is going with them?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Send them an email and ask. I think BoatUS has a contacts page for just such an occasion. I never go there except to renew my membership.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@FastOlson are you using the new app.
Maybe this will help.

UPDATE YOUR APP
NOTICE: The old BoatUS App will stop functioning by September 1, 2018.

*We suggest you do not delete your old BoatUS app until you get the new version successfully loaded onto your phone.
Visit the App Store or Google Play to download and set up your new BoatUS App, then you can delete the old version off of your phone.

How do the weather and marine forecast features work?

By default, the weather and marine conditions on the home tab will show your current location, provided you have enabled location services on your phone. You can populate your favorites when you are logged into your app.
Why are my Weather Locations from old versions of the App not carried over to the new version (4.3.0)?

Note to current users: The Better Weather update allows you to choose the tide station or weather buoy for your favorite locations. You’ll need to take a moment to add your locations again in order to take advantage of these new features.
How do I find the weather/marine forecast for a different location?

You can add additional locations as long as you've created a free app account and are logged in. To add a new location, tap the "Add Location" button at the bottom of your app homescreen. This opens a search bar, where you can enter the city and state for the location you want added. Simply select the location, and it will appear on your homescreen. Please note, a maximum of five locations can be displayed at one time.

Apr 8, 2010
John, I scrolled down thru their "new" app site. This is software that only runs on iOS devices. Looks like mariners using actual computers (to coin a phrase) are shut out. Arrogant of them, really. I have been a member for over a decade and insure out boat thru them.
I sent them a message, but doubt that they still support the rest of us.

Having an iPhone would be fun at times, but then there is the cost of the data plan.
As the nice lady on SNL used to say: It's always Something!
:)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ohhhhh. That is a truth. I did not see a PC based resource.
Then I choose to use other sources fro my weather.
Windy.com and WeatherUnderground.com are my easy to use PC based apps. They also have iPhone and Android based apps.
I just learned from @JamesG161 that Windy.com is repackaging their data from NOAA. That is ok with me. I can always look at the NOAA data on my PC, but Windy is convenient and it is graphical so that I have less chance of getting the wind direction backwards when looking at those little symbols. (Note I said less chance.... I have found that at times my on the water experience conflicted with my planned expectation. Looking again I found my expectation was backwards... Oh well.)
I also sent the BoatUS Public Affairs VP a message today. I'll let you know what I get back from him.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
All Apple products are going through a major file control system update. Hacker and virus barriers.
Jim...

Apr 8, 2010
Since I complained here, it's fair to also mention that I did get an email back from a (young?) lady today. Was told that they dropped their former web site because it was considered "antiquated".... !!
This has naught to do with my computer or OS. Sheesh.

I did politely reply that using a computer on board our boat does not seem antiquated to me and that I look forward to the free iPhone they are sending me so I can use their marvelous app. Perhaps not a good use of my time to stand outside by our mailbox...
I sense a potential problem on their end in being oblivious to their customer base.
Snark Alert:
** the young lady in this sketch might have a counterpart working there.........
**(search on 'millennial job interview' on youtube............)

Good thing that Sail Flow still works well on my computing device.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Well dang, I just went to my favorites and BoatUS brought up my towing policy and insurance policy. I used to like viewing Tom Casey repairs, weather, tides, buoy reports. and consumer activist articles. Maybe too many letters to my congress women.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Just had my iPad app for BoatUS turned on and all my info can be found plus some of the Buoy reports, tides, and hurricane info. The PC website had a lot of stuff so I wonder how much will come over. What I saw looks pretty good.