BoatUS tips on rebedding hardware

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Just food for discussion. This just came out in the latest BoatUS eMagazine. Any new rebedding I've done is with butyl tape. There are ways to deal with the author's concerns about using it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
True. For those who don't click on links (why remains beyond my comprehension...), here's what it says:

Another product I favor is butyl tape. Popular many years ago, its use waned when polyurethanes arrived on the scene. Butyl tape never sets and remains flexible forever, cleanup is easy, and because it comes on a roll, you use only as much as you need. In many cases, it's more economical than the stuff in a tube.

But butyl isn't the right choice for every application. While it works well under cleats and stanchions held in place with bolts, it's less suitable under screws. Tightening the screw tends to drag at the butyl and makes it pill up, pulling it away from the fitting. Butyl works well with bolts in situations in which they can be prevented from turning and are secured from beneath with a nut. The one caveat is that not all butyl tape is created equal. Use tape that's recommended for marine use.

Justin's right about ways to deal with it with screws. Fender washers come to mind.

And the last sentence is just plain wrong. It should say: The ONLY butyl tape to use is Maine Sail's Bed-It-Tape because it is the only material that has been thoroughly researched to work. Do not buy hardware store butyl tape.

Jul 29, 2021
oday 25 Eagle Mountain Lake
And the last sentence is just plain wrong. It should say: The ONLY butyl tape to use is Maine Sail's Bed-It-Tape because it is the only material that has been thoroughly researched to work. Do not buy hardware store butyl tape.
Why? I read that article and it entirely sounded like a marketing ad for the bed-it-tape to me. Nothing about how it’s different etc. Plus I couldn’t find any other place saying the same thing except for where this author posted.

Just asking as a Newby.

Ray

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Just asking as a Newby.
Butyl tape is Butyl Rubber.
It is base chewing ingredient in Bubble Gum.

So add Bubble Gum, Duct Tape, hammer and screw driver to your boat's tool kit.;)

Jim...

PS: Also used in C4 explosives to mould and bind it to the right spot.:facepalm:

Jan 26, 2019
Catalina 30, mkI 2462 Waukegan, IL
Folks, I have both Bed-It and "hardware store" butyl on my boat. I agree the Bed-It seems the most pliable and soft, but the hardware store stuff works for me too. I've rebed stanchions, anchor rollers, stem fittings, windows, and winches. Has anyone out there tried hardware store stuff and had it fail??

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Has anyone out there tried hardware store stuff and had it fail??
Nope, because it said on mine, before I knew about MaineSail tape...

Marine, RV and Home use.

Been used for many years as sealant.

Must be from the same source as MaineSail...
Jim...

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The only uncertainty here is if 2021 will be the year of the Butyl Tape Wars.

The efficacy of any sealant is directly related to the ability and prowess of the guy using it.

Jul 29, 2021
I didn't mean to cause any issues, and if it seemed that way, I didn't mean to. Mainsail's contributions to the forum aside, what does it have that's different? what changed with the EPA? Based on answers maybe not much.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I have seen bubble gum used on keel boltd below the water line. Fellow called at midnight saying his boat was leaking with two feet of water. Pumped water out and saw the bubble gum. Put boat on trailer going home at 4 am. Told me a friend repair that boat earlier in the day. He was charged accordingly when I went back to repair that boat

Once a marina called after raining all night with a 22 foot sailboat about ready to sink. The idiot allowed ducks to roost over the cockpit drain which the water filled up the cockpit and into the cabin. Duck poop was floating in the cockpit. Put high water boots on before going on that boat. Had to break the lock to bail out the inside of cabin. Ok I had to endure the horrendous smell. Secretary came to see and help clean but the smell alone she said I know how to clean. Ugh. I smelled to high stink and everyone st the marina stayed away with that new duck poop aftershave smell. Learned the wife allowed the ducks to roost over the cockpit drain. Never again.

Burned the duck poop clothes I wore but the following weekend I had 10 cases of Coors light at my front door with a note saying duck poop boat now mine telling wife he was buying a new 30 foot sailboat from me for her stunt. It took a while to destunk that boat as employees said it was a good job for me to handle. We all laughed

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I didn't mean to cause any issues, and if it seemed that way, I didn't mean to. Mainsail's contributions to the forum aside, what does it have that's different? what changed with the EPA? Based on answers maybe not much.
I can’t say what’s in it, but I can confirm it seems way more pliable (and sticky) than hardware store butyl. I have both on my boat, and I use Maine Sails when it is cold out and I need something pliable. But both will seal under the right application.

Greg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Plus I couldn’t find any other place saying the same thing except for where this author posted.

Just asking as a Newby.
@ray dann.

The author is the person who "found" this particular material and his write up is what explains its benefits. It is an explanation of his diligent research. Many of us have purchased it. It is superior to other butyl tapes for the reasons he noted. Maine Sail FYI, is one of the most trusted names in the marine "business." His website has recorded an amazing amount of useful and practical marine information.

That's why.

Stu

Jul 29, 2021
okok I gotcha. just get it! That duck story though.......
Had a similiar one, not a boat though. I used to build stores for a big box company. They took over an old Kmart. After years of letting the ducks up on the roof, come spring, all the drains were plugged with about 2' of water on the roof. Needless to say, it collapsed, fortunatley at night when no one was there. A new work task was created...clean duck dung out of all roof top drains.

• Wow
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@ray dann There are many caulks in the market place. I have tried a few of them.

As long as I have a fixture that is mechanically attached to my boat above the water line, I will caulk it with Bed-it-Tape Butyl. I've tried other products. Most pleased with the Bed-it-Tape Butyl performance. After all is said and done performance is what counts.