BoatUS - "Port Risk Ashore"

Aug 15, 2014
Catalina 36 Deale, MD
I just completed an interesting exchange with BoatUS. I am posting here to see if it was an abnormality or standard practice. I hope not the later, but if so, I will be shopping for new insurance this afternoon. The phone representative was nice and cooperative which helped, but it did not solve the curx of the matter.

Yesterday I received an emailed letter that leads with the following sentence "We have received the survey of your boat with that the insurance company required as a condition of coverage, and we are pleased to advise you that the survey has been approved under the company's standards." Busy day at work, so I caulked it away as boilerplate good news and stopped reading. Shame on me.

Today I printed the letter to file w/ my boat documentation and the word "severity" jumped off the page. Reading further I learned that "your coverage is 'Port Risk Ashore', which provides no coverage for boat in the water." Yard bills or a follow-up survey is required to remove this restriction on the recommendations coded "PRA". Thinking this must of been some mistake, I reviewed my survey and could not locate any codes PDA or otherwise. So I make the call....

The representative confirmed that my boat, that is in currently in the water, is no longer insured by BoatUS. Perplexed by the process BoatUS used to cancel my insurance (not might or will at some future date, but canceled), the representative said their process is to contact the customer by phone then email a letter. The rep confirmed they have my cellphone and I confirmed that I have no records of a missed call from BoatUS. The rep checked into the lack of a phone call and confirmed that BoatUS did not call me yesterday or at anytime prior. That the prompt/action for BoatUS to contact me by phone was still open in their system. So I asked what if I didn't get to the email notification until today, was my boat covered by insurance last night? The answer was no, it was not covered. The rep said "well you have insurance provided you removed the boat from the water now." I explained that the marina is booked and my boat is scheduled to be hauled out on 11/26. The rep reminded me that the boat will have no insurance until it is on the hard. This was not an acceptable response.

So I inquire just what "severe" issues that my survey reveled that warranted an immediate cancelation of my policy? To be clear to the forum, I did not receive an advanced notice or even a listing of the issues or time to correct the issues.

These are the three reasons why BoatUS canceled by insurance with zero advanced notice. Quoting from the survey:

1) RUDDER: Fiberglass construction, appears in serviceable condition, but with a small open void on the bottom of the blade and with some frayed/lifting laminate edges along the bottom portion of the port side of the blade.

2) GALLEY STOVE: Propane range. An attempt to test the unit revealed a crack in a fitting in the fuel supply line and an apparently malfunctioning 12-volt solenoid fuel shut-off valve, both in the propane storage compartment.

3) EXHAUST: Water fed with a riser, fiberglass muffler and flexible hose to the outlet on the fantail. All appears to be adequately installed and in serviceable condition, but with some rust on the muffler’s mild steel drain petcock.

Starting with #1, I explained the rudder would be repaired this winter and I emailed the rep a prior email exchange with the marina. I asked BoatUS to clarify how they could deem the rudder to be a hazard today when the surveyor said it was in serviceable condition. The rep asked manager of the underwriter(s) for a second opinion and BoatUS would not change their position. Regardless, the issue will remain open until I provide yard receipts or another survey to confirm said repairs are satisfactory.

#2, I explained that there is no longer a propane bottle in the boat (it was 24 years old, rusty, and not fillable anyways) and that the solenoid was miss-wired and was corrected. The cracked fitting was attached to the bottle and was already disposed of. Again, not good enough - provide yard receipts or another survey to confirm said repairs are satisfactory. I guess the owner is not qualified to remove a propane bottle from the propane locker.

#3 - I questioned why this is a safety issue given even if it did break off (no chance of that occurring anyways), that would leave say a 1/4" hole in the muffler water tank, and only leak while the motor is running and thru hole is open. Yet a third time, show me the yard receipts or get another survey.

Informing the rep that I will likely continue to repair any existing or future issue(s) on the boat myself, the response was if on any of the above three items, then to chase said repair(s) with another survey.

After 20 minutes on the phone, BoatUS issued an endorsement that extends coverage until 11/27, the day following the scheduled date of my haul out. I asked if BoatUS was open on Thanksgiving should the marina miss my haul out for some reason beyond my control. The rep caught on and granted me a one day extension realizing they are closed for the holiday.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I have said here and elsewhere over and over that ALL insurance companies are getting stricter and stricter in what type of compliance they want to see in regards to safety on your boat..

There is no such thing as being "grandfathered" into an unsafe situation because your boat was built before standards. This is a myth... You comply with what the insurer wants or they drop you like a hot coal. Boat US is an excellent insurer I think arguing with them would be fool hardy....

As I see it you got very lucky. I see surveys far worse and boats that require thousands in repairs to be insurable. Your is cake walk.

FACT: You as a private boater do NOT need to comply with the ABYC standards

Catch 22 / CAUSE FOR CONSIDERATION:
Your surveyor surveys to ABYC standards and your insurance company underwrites your boat based on the surveyors report!

These are just a bit of the "insurance/survey" items I have had to deal with over the last few years:

*Bond a keel stepped mast to external ballast (after a strike claim)
*Bond numerous boats for AC Grounding to DC Grounding
*Add over current protection where it did not exist (house banks for example)
*2 Boats for the AC inlet / breaker 10' rule
*1 Boat for an improper AC main breaker (not double pole)
*Multiple boats for GFCI outlets
*Multiple boats for lack of DC over-current protection
*Multiple boats for LPG system issues
*1 Boat for AC/DC isolation (cover for AC) behind AC/DC panel
*Multiple boats for fuel system issues (too many to list)
*1 Boat for a reverse polarity indicator
*Approx three boats for non compliant battery chargers
*2 Boats for ignition protection issues on gas boats.
*1 Boat for lack of a bilge blower
*Improper bonding of chargers and inverter/chargers
*1 Boat for a bilge pump alarm
*Multiple boats for deteriorated below waterline hoses
*Remove a non compliant on-demand water heater (Excel)
*Multiple battery system compliance issues including venting, acid containment, over current protection etc..
*Multiple unsafe termination issues (solder, wire nuts, improper lug stacking etc.)
*Steering system failures (meat hooks etc.)

There are probably more that I am just forgetting... Insurance companies and surveyors today are playing a CYA game. In today's day and age it does pay to use the available safety standards as a solid guideline for boat upgrades. The survey industry uses them so the closer your boat is to those guidelines (ABYC) the better chance you will have a skating through clean on an insurance survey. LPG systems are a hot ticket item as you found out!!

It is getting tougher and tougher to find a lick & stick surveyor these days due to the litigious nature of our society. I would say your surveyor did you a HUGE favor if that is all he found... I am sure "lick & sticks" are out there but NAMS and SAMS are getting very structured and precise in what they want to see...

I had one owner who pulled the "I'm grandfathered because my boat was built before the standards existed." card on the insurance company and they dropped him at renewal. :cussing: Once dropped he had an extremely trough time finding insurance for his forty year old boat. In the end it cost him $700.00+ more per year than the $120.00 in safety requirements the insurance company wanted to see. He's now probably spend 4000.00 more in added insurance premiums over the $120.00 in safety improvements the insurance company wanted D'oh!!!!:doh:Please consider that!!!

NOTE: "Lick & stick" is a term for those of us in states that require State inspection stickers on cars. Anyone who's ever owned an old car knows what a "lick & stick" garage is..... A few extra dollars and the problems just go away and he licks the sticker and slaps it on... (wink)

Did Boat US handle this well by not notifying you of cancellation? Absolutely not! However I would not suggest pissing them off either. Finding insurance on a 1987 can be tough and pricey and all will want a survey too... The Devil you know.........;)

Trust me with a 1987 C-36 your surveyor did you lots of favors. It could have been MUCH worse!!!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
my opinion is... a good insurance company would not want to cover a boat with known and visible faults that would put lives at risk.... or even the boat for that matter, but boats are cheaper than lives....

i can also understand their point in being a bit hard nosed about it, because they want you to understand the severity of it, and that it needs to be taken care of NOW.
BUT... they DID give you a bit of a grace period after the phone call, winch shows they understand that you are doing your best to remedy the situation as fast as you can....

and i also agree with them that they cant just take the word of the boat owner that the problems are solved, but it needs an ok from a surveyor that is willing to stick his neck out to take some responsibility for the quality and extent of the repairs....

so, respectively, the only complaint that you have in my opinion, is the lack of notice of termination.... and with the grace period you were given, knowing there are problems, puts them at risk for a few more days while you decide whether to have the boat repaired , or let it blow up...(thats a joke of course).... but they allowed you some protection while you get the boat out of the water for repairs.... not all insurance companies are as understanding.

but from a boat owners point of view, it is an irritating and stressful issue, and i feel your pain in having to deal with it.... no matter what the issue is, who caused it or how it has to be handled, if it is something that is being forced on you and has to be taken care of immediately, its a stressful PIA.....

Aug 15, 2014
Catalina 36 Deale, MD
Good feedback and I have had time to cool off. Guess I should have slept on it before posting. Still keeping it out there, renewal ramifications be damn.
But let this be a warning to others that:
- you could suddenly receive an email in the afternoon saying that your insurance is being canceled that same day.
- regardless if a marine surveyor said a system is in "serviceable" condition, insurance companies carry the trump card to say otherwise. So budget the cost in your boat purchase of repairs to any system that has a blemish yet still deemed serviceable.
- budget the cost of a follow up survey.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure they are not allowed to cancel your coverage without some reasonable advanced notice.

Mar 20, 2012
I think you should be able to get a surveyor to inspect just the items that has been repaired, rather than doing the whole boat all over again... it would be much cheaper.

showing him/her the original survey and also what the insurance company's complaints are, he/she should be able to say yay or nay, and issue a notice of compliance to satisfy the insurance company of the previous deficiencies.....

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I am not a fan of the Gestapo tactics of insurance companies.. I often wonder how huge the outcry would be if these same or similar "conditions of insurance" were to be placed on automobiles..?? This is another case where the "rich boat owners" are being charged lots of dollars just because they can be.. Makes me sort of wonder about the appearance of illicit collusion between the insurance guys and the surveyor.. like does a surveyor get a bonus for each nit-picking item he can come up with..?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure they are not allowed to cancel your coverage without some reasonable advanced notice.
I don't think that's right. Most policies will state that 'An occurrence in the change of the risk' is basis for them canceling your policy.

Anytime a new survey comes back to them (in particular on a 20-30 year old boat) you have to expect that there will be 'changes to risk'. How they see them is anyone's guess, but you can expected a internet-based insurance company without local agents will take the safe route. Address them before the survey gets submitted to them.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
I have found Boat US to be a very willing company to work with, except on things that a surveyor has marked A-1 repair and on things like your propane system. They do not know your boat, your propane system, and such. BUT they are taking the risk of settlement, payout, litigation - in the event something happens as a result of the propane system failing.

They are not going to expose themselves. Similarly on the exhaust, if that rust is all the way through or allows the petcock to fail to seal, the boat could sink. A LOT of boats sink at the dock, this time of year.

Fix the items they have identified as a result of the survey, and have those repairs signed off, you should be able to get them looked at, without a full survey.

I would guess that any other company is going to be much the same. And if it hasn't happened to you yet, be prepared for a survey to be required every two or three years by your insurance company, if your boat is any older than 4 or 5 years old, for them to insure your boat.

the times, they are a changin' but as to the collusion comments, I doubt it seriously as most surveyors are simply doing the job -YOU- hired them to do.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
I don't think that's right. Most policies will state that 'An occurrence in the change of the risk' is basis for them canceling your policy.

Anytime a new survey comes back to them (in particular on a 20-30 year old boat) you have to expect that there will be 'changes to risk'. How they see them is anyone's guess, but you can expected a internet-based insurance company without local agents will take the safe route. Address them before the survey gets submitted to them.
If there was a mortgage on the boat and the bank was an additional insured there would be no way they would allow coverage to lapse.

Nov 8, 2010
If there was a mortgage on the boat and the bank was an additional insured there would be no way they would allow coverage to lapse.
If this happens, the insurance company would inform the bank. The bank would then attempt to secure insurance for the boat AT ANY COST and bill you for it. Same thing on your house. Read your policy. And your loan agreement.

If you hold the ownership/title or a bank does, the insurance company treats you the same. If they don't want to insure it, they drop you.

Aug 15, 2014
Catalina 36 Deale, MD
No liens here and not to be concerned, those items will be repaired along with list of other to-dos. The items or suggested repairs were never in dispute by me. All would have been (and will be) repaired this winter. Even the 1/4" petcock (where I am concerned that replacing it could crack the NLA fiberglass muffler that so many have trouble with). BTW - there is zero chance that petcock would sink the boat. Perhaps leak out ~ 1.5 gal of 75/25 mixture of Prestone marine antifreeze. Please, there is no need to make those statements. The principle issue here was method of notification and the surprise of holding the trump card. I learned that notification by a certified letter or phone call with some reasonable amount of time prior to changing the terms of the insurance (that effectively canceled the insurance as the boat is in the water) is not a perquisite. That and when a certified marine surveyor says a widget is in "serviceable condition", that statement is actually meaningless.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
If the Boat is paid for

Anything more than liability insurance does not make sense economically.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Anything more than liability insurance does not make sense economically.

Tell that to my customers with 6 & 7 figure boats..... Even a mid eighties Catalina 36 is a 45-55K investment not to mention all the money you spend each year on her.. Are you willing to just throw 55K out the window on a gamble...? I'm certainly not.... If you wre to buy a new car for 45K would you just get liability? What about on your house?

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
If this happens, the insurance company would inform the bank. The bank would then attempt to secure insurance for the boat AT ANY COST and bill you for it. Same thing on your house. Read your policy. And your loan agreement.

If you hold the ownership/title or a bank does, the insurance company treats you the same. If they don't want to insure it, they drop you.
I'm calling BS on this one. I own and manage commercial buildings. There is no way in hell any insurance company would cancel a policy WITHOUT NOTICE and without TIME TO CURE any unsafe condition or violation should one arise.

In fact, I just checked my own boat policy with Progressive:

"We will give at least 20 days notice of cancellation in all other (non-nonpayment) cases."

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Shop for an insurance broker, let him manage the insurer. On-line direct insurers and call-center customer service sucks, as you have discovered.

Nov 8, 2010
I'm calling BS on this one. I own and manage commercial buildings. There is no way in hell any insurance company would cancel a policy WITHOUT NOTICE and without TIME TO CURE any unsafe condition or violation should one arise.

"We will give at least 20 days notice of cancellation in all other (non-nonpayment) cases."
Re-read the original post. BoatUS HAS a process to notify. Seem they didn't follow it exactly. And remember they didn't CANCEL it. They modified the terms.

My comment (the one you called BS on) was about what the BANK would do. If a bank discovers a loan collateral that has cancelled insurance, they will insure it. Do you disagree with that??

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT

I agree. Insurance companies are regulated and REQUIRED by law to provide WRITTEN notice prior to cancellation.

Mar 20, 2012
I agree. Insurance companies are regulated and REQUIRED by law to provide WRITTEN notice prior to cancellation.
I agree with Jackdaw, because the bank WILL either acquire insurance at your expense, or if it cannot be acquired, they will call the loan, payable immediatly.... its all there in the fine print.

and as far as the insurance company being required to give notice, they only have to send the notice to the address they have on file for you.... they DONT have to call, they DONT have to make sure you receive the notice, or IF you even read it when you do receive it.... as was the case with the OP... and the wording was kind of misleading to him in their opening statement in the notice, but was better explained as he finally got around to reading the whole letter... but at a later date

AND, when he called them, they extended his grace period....

no fair person can hardly bad mouth an insurance company for wanting to make sure they are protecting themselves, as well as protecting you... even if they have to threaten cancellation in order to get someones attention.... damn form letters.... nothing is on a personal level any more...