Boats not winterized

Jan 23, 2021
beneteau 323 Corpus Christi marina
As newbie, wondering what risk there is to a sailboat in the water being exposed to deep freeze temps.
It’s at Kemah Texas, on south side of Houston Texas. Forecast is for temps in the 20s for 24+ hours.

Decades ago, had boat in northern state, but it was winterized and on the hard every winter.

Extremely cold temps for unusually long period forecast for Texas.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
If it were mine I would be doing something to prevent some very expensive damage.

Our weather forecast just keeps getting worse. I went back to the boat today to remove the bimini, remove all the liquid cleaning agents and turn on a space heater. I have winterized the boat but now I can sleep better. It may get to -10f. The dock was unbelievable slick and I fell once taking the bimini down. We may get 10 inches of snow.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There is a lot heat in the water that will help protect the boat. Anything below the water line will be at the water temperature, which will likely be above freezing.

The vulnerable parts will be hoses above the waterline. Pump the head dry, maybe pump some anti-freeze through the head pump.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
what's the water temp? sitting in the water you should be fine as long as it doesn't stay cold for days on end. I winterize hundreds of boats a season. As long as the water is warm, you have a bit of sunshine and the wind isn't howling you should be fine.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Went over today to check on the heater.. All good .. then opened the bilge boards and lockers below the waterline to get the bayou heat into the boat. The water temperature rarely falls as low as 50 F so there won't be a problem.

Jan 23, 2021
Dlochner, SailingLoto, kloudie1: Thanks to each of you! You’re input all makes sense.

I’m 4 hours (one way by car) from the boat.
Boat is still at POs private dock within guard-secured gated area.
Delivery that was originally set for last Monday fell through at short notice.

So I’m in a bit of a bind and it’s good to hear that damage risk should be low even if I can’t get to it for mitigation.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
If you are on good terms with the PO you might ask what he had done in the past or what he might recommend from what he has seen other people do recently. He might even offer to assist with some of the needed precautions if he is there. It would be a simple thing to ask for help.

Jan 23, 2021
If you are on good terms with the PO you might ask what he had done in the past or what he might recommend from what he has seen other people do recently. He might even offer to assist with some of the needed precautions if he is there. It would be a simple thing to ask for help.
Great suggestion. Unfortunately, I‘ve not met him and broker says he’s out of town...

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
So here's the weak link in relying on the ambient water temp, there same exposure that exists from not covering a boat in the northern climes. If you get a freezing rain or a snowfall/thaw/freeze rain cycle, the cockpit scppers could freeze, and rain or snow melt fill the cockpit and..

from https://www.certifiedsales.com/listings/YS210014.html

Actual Condition
It is reported that while stored on land rain water accumulated in the cockpit and spilled into the cabin. The cause was clogged scuppers.
Damage includes: Cabin sole damages caused by standing water from submersion. The dampness of atmosphere is believed to have caused all of the damage to the interior woodwork as well as the metal surfaces of the engine and generator, refrigeration compressors. The wood and metal surface corrosion occurred over an extended period of time. The highest submerge line that could be determined was located just below the main engine lower pulley.

There appears to be no other related damage to the vessel, engine or related systems or components that could be determined at time of inspection.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The water temperature in Houston is about 60° F. Even in Galveston Bay the temp is in high 40s. In all likelihood the air temp surrounding the boat will never get to freezing because of the warm water. At worst, there will be a little frost on the deck. Even if there is a huge ice storm, the ice will melt quickly. Really nothing to worry about here.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The forecast is for an unusual run of Arctic blast temps starting Monday night through Wednesday. Low temperatures in the high teens for 5 plus hours.

It will be more than frost on the pumpkin but not oh boy sharpen up the ice skates.

Blowing out the water lines and a little heat in the boat near the engine should be enough to weather the storm.

Looks to be enough to freeze a cup of water sitting exposed on the deck but not the lake solid for ice fishing.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Thanks to all for your replies. I heard back from broker. Good news is that a heater is now running in the boat.
Good news in several categories. Protected boat, sailor helping sailor, a broker who offers service after the sale, and the value of good communication and good relationships. It warms the cockles of one's heath!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Forewarned is forearmed

In the winter, portable heaters are the wrong way to keep your boat from freeze damage. Boat U.S. marine insurance claims files confirm the assessment that the leading causes of winter vessel fires are unattended portable heaters and overtaxed electrical systems. Unattended heaters are easily tipped over by wave movement and other forces.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
This only applies to boats IN the water: Put a thermometer in your head...check temp in 24 hours and again in 48 hours. If not below 30 (yes I know 32 is freeze temp), you shouldn't need to winterize anything unless freezing temps in the 20s or lower last longer than 48 hrs.

--Peggie

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
Thanks to all for your replies. I heard back from broker. Good news is that a heater is now running in the boat.
I'd be more concerned about an unattended heater left on then the little bit of chilly temps.
The last thing I would want is a neighbor at the marina or boat yard with a heater left on, and nobody on board.... imho

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Two winters ago there was a boat at our club that had it's engine freeze and crack. It was in the water, the owner wanted to get the most out of the season. It was early December (in Canada!) and the temp went to -6C*, the water around the boat was not frozen. Everyone said he was crazy, but his response was that the boat is in the water and the water is not frozen so it will be OK. He now has an outboard hanging off the back.......
Cheers
dj

• Wow