Boats and cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
This is really more of a wintertime - type aimless discussion, but a short exchange on another thread got me to thinking; what car manufacurers correspond to various boat manufacturers? If we can agree that Hunter is Ford, Catalina is Chevy, and J-boats is maybe Porsche, what about the rest? Are MacGregors Ramblers?

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I think Macs are more like Toyotas. They're everywhere. The Lancer is more like the Rambler.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Funny you should start that discussion. I was always a Chrysler fan 'cause Dad drove 300s. Pic my first real car not counting my '34 with the Hemi. The early Chryslers were way ahead in engineering for reasons we won't debate here. Not the best assembled but the best designed. So my Hunter is a Plymouth! Oh, with three on the column and twin 4-barrels. Lots of fun when gas was $.25 a gallon.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I Think One Would .............................

....................... liken a MacGregor more to a Yugo.

Got a kick out of these jabs taken at Yugo:

Attachments

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
I think an O'day would be an Oldsmobile 88. Reliable, roomy, and safe. You can make them faster, but it was not the primary design.

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
Our Sandpiper is like an MG Midget. Small, cute, nimble. Except that it's much, much more reliable. :D

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
I think an O'day would be an Oldsmobile 88. Reliable, roomy, and safe. You can make them faster, but it was not the primary design.
I had a (numbers matching, mint condition) 1970 Oldsmobile Rallye 350 from about 1998-2006, that car had a 0-60 of around 7-8 seconds, because for the first 5-6 seconds it just spun the tires, but when it got to about 35mph, well you better hold on tight because it took off like a rocket! Most NFL linebackers couldn't have held their head off the headrests when all 4 barrels were dumping fuel into the engine at a rate similar to a toilet flushing water... In about the time it took you to blink you'd be doing almost 100mph. That car was more fun to drive when gas was still around a under a dollar for premium.

And yet, people often made them faster still...

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
....................... liken a MacGregor more to a Yugo.

Got a kick out of these jabs taken at Yugo:
====

I dunno, my first sailboat was an Ensenada 20 and that mfg's idea of fine finishing seemed to be spatter coating the raw glass on the cabins overhead. Like other mfgs would do cockpit lockers.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Well, my first boat is a P18. My first car was a Studebaker!. But, I often compared it to the Volvo`s (old style, 240`s) that I love, Brown , ugly, safe, ahead of it`s time! truly, none of my buddie`s had one.

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
Some of these pairings make mass transit buses look good.
Ray

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
This is really more of a wintertime - type aimless discussion, but a short exchange on another thread got me to thinking; what car manufacurers correspond to various boat manufacturers? If we can agree that Hunter is Ford, Catalina is Chevy, and J-boats is maybe Porsche, what about the rest? Are MacGregors Ramblers?
If Hunters are Fords, then the Cherubini Hunters are a '67 Mustang.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I think Dalliance is right. Cherubinis are the original mustang. Great following, ahead of their time, almost cultish, timeless, reliable, good performance or good family vehicle depending on model.
Interestingly, there was a line of sailboats put out by Chrysler. They had a knockoff laser which wasn't nearly as good a boat and some interesting, well-built and designed keelboats.

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
My Snark is not fast. My Snark is not roomy. My Snark is named Porpoise and it sails with my Mac named Sailing with Porpoise. My Snark is funny and fun for the kids. Kind of like a Toyota and a scooter.

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
My Snark is not fast. My Snark is not roomy. My Snark is named Porpoise and it sails with my Mac named Sailing with Porpoise. My Snark is funny and fun for the kids. Kind of like a Toyota and a scooter.
Older Macs are like VW Bugs, cheap , available, good first car for someone who wants something to fix up the way you like and drive, and no one is going to complain that you ruined a classic.

Newer ones are like Pontiac Aztecs. :eek:

And remember what they say about scooters... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.