Boat Without Autohelm - Your Thoughts

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
It looks like we found a boat to replace our current boat but it does not have an autohelm and we are told by the current owner that it would cost $8,000.00 to put one in. It does have however depth, wind, chartplotte instruments & VHF radio.

What are your thoughts about not having an autohelm? There is one on our current boat but we did not use it much this summer.

Otherwise, if the owner who is wanting to downsize as he mostly singlehands his boat finds the boat that he wants, he is interested to sell to us.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
What kind of boat are you looking at? $8000 will buy you a top of the line below decks auto helm with chart plotter. There may be less expensive options, like a wheel pilot, but whether that is a viable option depends on where and how you intend to use it and boat size.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
What are your thoughts about not having an autohelm? There is one on our current boat but we did not use it much this summer.

Otherwise, if the owner who is wanting to downsize as he mostly singlehands his boat finds the boat that he wants, he is interested to sell to us.
(1) Without the autohelm you have one less thing to install/maintain/calibrate/break/stop working/fix. (2) If you did not often use the one on your current boat you may have answered your own question. (3) Do you like to sail your boat or do you like to sit and watch? (4) The second quote has a big "IF" in it. Waiting for the owner to find the right boat may take a while, but at least you have your own boat to sail and winter (unfortunately for many of us) is near.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I like it for single handing. I can turn into the wind and raise my main with both hands. I can also go below for another beer or to recycle one.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It sounds like the seller may be misinformed (which can be an advantage to the buyer.) I'd check around. Put it in yourself.
Our first sailboat (A MacGreggor 26D) came with one and spoiled us. I purchased the next sailboat without it and then added it. It's cheap however for a tiller steered boat, which we had at the time.

Ken

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Just cross tie with one of your stern lines with quick wrap across wheel or tiller over to other stern cleat. Works fine for beer or long runs. Just have to monitor compass yourself. I have autohelm and don't use it but probably would for a long coast hop. Chief

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
What kind of boat are we talking about? I installed Raymarine this year for $2000

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
These $ figures just make me appreciate how nicely equipped my boat came.
Equipment will never be as cheap as when you buy it already installed. Provided it works correctly.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Keep in mind that depending on the boat size and your use, a wheel autopilot should be fine. Used ones are not that expensive. You'll need a control head most likely (something like a Autohelm/Raymarine ST4000 or ST5000, etc) and the wheel ring/motor and a bearing input source (not your magnetic compass at the helm). All these things can be had fairly cheaply used. If you intend to connect it to your chartplotter, it will need to be compatible with that. I would think you could easily get everything you need for well under $1000. (Don't tell the seller that unless he is your brother-in-law or a good friend)

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the autopilot will work in the hold heading mode without being interfaced with your chartplotter (at least my old ST4000 did). That is fine to get the sail up, go get a beer and the subsequent head break required later, etc.)

Also - keep in mind there were a lot (and I mean a lot) of boats damaged in Hurricane Matthew that swept through the Southeast US a few weeks ago. A lot of those boats were not sunk, but grounded or otherwise beat up to the extent that they will be a total loss so there should be a lot of parts available. Any boat owner without comprehensive insurance will be looking to salvage what they can to offset the cost of disposal. That is particularly true for older boats where those wheel autopilots may be sourced. In fact, I know of a Hunter 34 (mid 80s) that is in that situation and depending on his arrangement with the insurance company, may have some parts available. I'm going to be talking to him I hope about something else and I'll ask him. PM me and I'll get back to you with what he says.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If you did not often use the one on your current boat you may have answered your own question.
This. ^^^^^

It all depends on how you use your boat.

Our autopilot died halfway up the coast from SF to Vancouver Island. Hand steering was no fun, but we managed. Had it repaired by Dan in Durango, CO. I wouldn't be without one on a boat 25 feet and larger.

Your boat, your choice. :) Not sure why you're asking us about something that is YOUR choice.

If you like your new boat, go shopping for a new auto[pilot, there are LOTS of choices out there these days. Not so many different vendors, but there are different "grades" of units.

and we are told by the current owner that it would cost $8,000.00 to put one in.
That part I don't get. Just because he told you that, you suppose it's true? Why? Have you shopped around at all?

Good luck whatever you decide.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
First off, an autopilot is a crew member that never needs food, grog or complains. It does it's job rain or shine w/o needing a break, often working 24/7. And it will never go on strike, want to join a union or ask for more pay. All this assuming you have a wheel.
An under deck autopilot is one of the MOST reliable pieces of equipment aboard a boat and least maintained, if properly installed. Ours went over 30 YEARS before the motor quit. We replaced the motor for $500 and it's again our 3rd crew member, loving referred to as 'he who steers'.
If you are handy, they aren't at all hard to install, so you have two options. You can buy an excellent (do not buy Raymarine, their tech support is terrible, especially on their autopilots) new unit for under $4g's and install it yourself, or find an older (more electric/less electronic) one in a used chandler. Benmar, Metal Marine (Wood Freeman) are two that come to mind and both are nearly bulletproof, for $500.00 or less. If you go with used, make sure you can get the installation and operating instructions with it or from online.
Having it professionally installed will probably double the price on a new one.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
On my Pearson 30 of 11 yr we did not have an autopilot; sailed far and wide but not longer than overnight at a stretch except for a couple of times. The Bavaria 38 had one installed when we purchased. I wouldn't want to go back to not having one no more than I'd return to not having a windlass. If this AP breaks and needs replacing or up-grading, there's no question I'd make the re-investment.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I assumed because the Poster said AutoHelm that he was thinking electric (it does work but does eat electricity), and the $8K sounded over priced (maybe the seller will discount the boat due to this deficiency). Then I wondered could he mean a WindVane auto pilot. Some of them can cost 8 boat bucks... Perhaps 51RD can clarify, boat size / auto pilot or wind vane etc...

If your post was to ask do we sailors like our autopilots, I think the answer lies in the facts:
We give them personal names, we think of them as part of the crew, never used in a race, we rely on them when we are alone.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Funny you should post that. I am having problems with my autopilot (another post) and for the first time and yesterday I went for a sail and had no autopilot. I really miss it and I am working non stop to get it figured out. Sailing is not as much fun without it. I would definitely get the autopilot but 8K seems awfully steep. A good wheel pilot should run you less than 2K.

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
Your boat, your choice. :) Not sure why you're asking us about something that is YOUR choice.
If you like your new boat, go shopping for a new auto[pilot, there are LOTS of choices out there these days. Not so many different vendors, but there are different "grades" of units.
That part I don't get. Just because he told you that, you suppose it's true? Why? Have you shopped around at all?
Good luck whatever you decide.
Stu : I am asking because I always appreciate the various points of view that are expressed here. The skipper and I are very new to sailing, slightly over one year. All of this happened over the weekend in the thick of mast de-stepping (we are a volunteer club)and so of course, no time to shop around, but I appreciate your mentioning that there are different "grades" of units. Cheers!

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
First off, an autopilot is a crew member that never needs food, grog or complains. It does it's job rain or shine w/o needing a break, often working 24/7. And it will never go on strike, want to join a union or ask for more pay. All this assuming you have a wheel.
An under deck autopilot is one of the MOST reliable pieces of equipment aboard a boat and least maintained, if properly installed. Ours went over 30 YEARS before the motor quit. We replaced the motor for $500 and it's again our 3rd crew member, loving referred to as 'he who steers'.
If you are handy, they aren't at all hard to install, so you have two options. You can buy an excellent (do not buy Raymarine, their tech support is terrible, especially on their autopilots) new unit for under $4g's and install it yourself, or find an older (more electric/less electronic) one in a used chandler. Benmar, Metal Marine (Wood Freeman) are two that come to mind and both are nearly bulletproof, for $500.00 or less. If you go with used, make sure you can get the installation and operating instructions with it or from online.
Having it professionally installed will probably double the price on a new one.
My skipper husband is very handy and this he would be able to do himself. The $8,000.00 must involve labour as we thought that was quite steep. Just really beginning to look into this as all this happened yesterday and I always appreciate the knowledge and various viewpoints freely given in this forum. Nice to know there are others other than Raymarine. Thanks Capta.

And many thanks to all who took the time to reply. Much appreciated and will pass all of this information to the skipper!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
It was under 2.5k to install the latest Raymarine with linear drive. I already had the chart plotter, but that is not absolutely necessary the P70 control head can do the job just fine. $500 of the price was for the Edson tiller - so I have a emergency steering without having to steer with a 1.5' wood tiller. I did do all the work - the biggest of which was fading a mount for the drive unit. Wiring was under 2 hours.

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
It was under 2.5k to install the latest Raymarine with linear drive. I already had the chart plotter, but that is not absolutely necessary the P70 control head can do the job just fine. $500 of the price was for the Edson tiller - so I have a emergency steering without having to steer with a 1.5' wood tiller. I did do all the work - the biggest of which was fading a mount for the drive unit. Wiring was under 2 hours.
Thanks so much Leslie. The boat has so many other great features and would suit us very well but it is nice to know that should we want to venture further than our regular day sailing, the possibility of our doing this ourselves at much more reasonable rate could be in our future!