Boat weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
Any of you guys actually had your boat weighed? I was looking back through some records and found the reciept for my boat being weighed on certified scales in 1986. I don't remember what the tankage was, but it had normal sailing equipment on board. It came in at 23,300 pounds.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Yes, our marina crane has the scale built in. One year at haulout with minimum water and fuel it was #19000.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
So much for the listed displacement of 17 800! It is amazing how quickly we accumulate weight in our boats as well as in ourselves. Blaise - I wonder if you happened to have an exceptionally well stocked cabinet of alcohol?

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
mine was just under 20k but i did not have all those extra heavy pulgs put in the keel for stability. LOL.
It ads up reallly quickly. I think i will unload mine completely every couple of years (If i am ever able to get one again) to keep the weight in check.

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
I think I did have a gallon of scotch on board. I believe the deep draft boats had more ballast than the specs showed. I have sailed on both the shallow draft boats with more weight in the keel (according to the brochure) and my boat, and my boat is much stiffer in spite of having 1100 lbs less ballast.

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
Ah yes. All your finer Scotches come in the gallon "Fun Jug" size.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter H37C, H23 Annapolis MD
Not sure how much mine currently weighs but when I hauled out this year the guy doing the powerwashing was kind enough to let me know that I should repaint my waterline a few inches higher... because he had noticed that as boats get older they start to settle deeper in the water! At which point my friend responded that if I'd get rid of the 2 tons of extra crap I have in the boat I would not have to add one more task to the list this year:>)

Mark

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
There is sippin scotch and guzzlin scotch. The "fun jug" size is definately the guzzlin scotch. By the way, the 23300 lbs was with the original engine and five group 30 batteries. We also have A/C, and a 5KW generator.

Jul 7, 2009
Beneteau First 405 Myrtle Beach, S.C.
I told the crane operator the book weight was around 17,000 pounds when I hired the lift. He told me his boom scale read 21,500 pounds when he picked it up. Just like my bathroom scale , way inaccurate.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
So Jose, which boat is yours? That looks like our crane. Now I wonder too about the accuracy.

Jun 2, 2004
This weight thing got me to thinking. Yeah, I know, don't hurt anything. Anyway I wonder how much stuff on the boat should be brought home? From the time I bought her in 1998 I started outfitting like I was leaving for a circumnavigation. I have enough tools to rebuild the Yanmar. Enough wire and connectors to completely rewire the boat. Spare prop, backup alternator, extra winches and blocks, rode to anchor in Superior(700') when I sail on Erie(50'), pumps, belts, impellers, filters, electric drill, vacuum, cleaning supplies for the whole marina, varnish and varnish remover, brushes, and the list goes on. And how do I use the boat? Three or four hour day sails and an occasional overnight.

I guess I was always afraid that I would start a project and not find what I needed. So I will take it all home, organize it in a meaningful way, and take it to the boat only when I know that I will need it. . . . . .maybe.

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
Ed i think you have about three boats worth of stuff on yours, I know cause i had about 4 boats full on mine. I could not believe how much i have stacked in the shed.
Still looking at boats sure hard to find anything as good as my old 37c,

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
Oh i wanted to say mines was deep draft and 4 cyl yanmar original. still did not weigh out much different. just under 20k loaded.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Through the years, back before I even contemplated owning a boat, I managed to acquire duplicates or triplicates of most hand and power tools in my garage for many a home improvement or auto take-apart (and usually get back together again) project.

Somehow, after getting into this sailing thing, a lot of these superfluous garage gadgets have managed to migrate to more-or-less permanent residence on my boat.

Weight of this stuff ... several hundred pounds at least, I'm sure.

We're not living on our floating palace, so I'm not inconvenienced with the many tools occupying quite a few of the otherwise under-utilized storage places. It's great comfort to know that when the whim strikes, or an emergency arises, a useful tool for the job is likely at hand.

My bootstripe is still above the waterline by an inch or two all along both sides. So the weight issue hasn't become critical just yet!

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Holy crap Ed! I want to take YOUR boat to Mexico. You are the first person I have ever heard of that carries spare winches. I do carry extra belts, fillters, oil, lots of tools, ss fasteners of every description and a starter. I also carry a lot of sails. But no winches. I am impressed.

Sep 10, 2009
Hunter cutter 37 1981 St-lambert
Our boat most have been well over 23k pounds when we left the states for the Bahamas. The rear bed is used as a storage for food, and unfortunately the weight was so off to one side that we HAD to buy 7 cases of beer and 7 cases of coke (to go with the rum) to level the boat. Oh btw, 300 feet of 5/16 high test chain + 300 feet of 5/8inch three strand + 150 feet of 1/2inch three strand just barely fits in the anchor locker. If you add to that a 45 pound rocna + 35 pound bruce, the nose literally dive down just below the waterline, but I'm convince this is the bare minimun to be cruising around (with the two danforth with their chain and rode stored in the cockpit locker). I'd say that anyone condering cruising with their h37c should raise their waterline a good 4-6 inches

Status
Not open for further replies.