Boat Weight, Has anyone weighed their boat?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i was waiting to hear from you Larry. :)
my standard bet is $0.05. i think i got you.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
i was waiting to hear from you Larry. :)
my standard bet is $0.05. i think i got you.
;) I’ll take that bet at that price. My guess is the ascow would be faster in light air, below 10knots apparent. It would also be faster in heavy winds with spinnaker when it could plane with a flat hull. I suspect my boat would be faster on a reach in 10knots plus (apparent). Keep in mind my boat isn’t a race design - it’s a cruising tri with a fairly luxurious interior. The Ascow is a stripped out racer. That brings us back to the question of weight.
A tri is fast due to narrow hulls at and below waterline, which mean lower resistance. The Ascow is a planing design with a flat bottom. Both are sensitive to weight as it affects performance.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the scow planes way earlier than you might think. also a speed trick is to get the scow on edge to reduce the wetted surface. the tri is fast because of low wetted surface not having to carry all the lead around.
the scow will plane in a tight beat driving hard into the wind.
the scow is a rare animal. like a funny car dragster is rare.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
the scow planes way earlier than you might think. also a speed trick is to get the scow on edge to reduce the wetted surface. the tri is fast because of low wetted surface not having to carry all the lead around.
the scow will plane in a tight beat driving hard into the wind.
the scow is a rare animal. like a funny car dragster is rare.
Perhaps I‘d lose that bet then. :confused: But I could eat lunch comfortably, at the level cockpit table while those guys in the skow are rail meat. :)