Boat transport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
We are very close to being the new owners of a Beneteau 375, unfortunately some 1,000 miles from our home. The boat broker and marina have given us lists of boat haulers to get transportation quotes from, but I was wondering if anyone here has recent experience shipping a boat from the east coast to the gulf coast. Good or bad experiences, cost, reccomendations? Thanks.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
We are very close to being the new owners of a Beneteau 375, unfortunately some 1,000 miles from our home. The boat broker and marina have given us lists of boat haulers to get transportation quotes from, but I was wondering if anyone here has recent experience shipping a boat from the east coast to the gulf coast. Good or bad experiences, cost, reccomendations? Thanks.
just had an allmand 35 hauled from covington ga to mobil bay this past week.....he was great ...when we got there last tuesday the boat was in the slings on the travel lift wating for us to get her ready to splash...very good service you may contact him ....Greg Mason ...770-945-2353...

regards

woody

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Have you considered having a delivery skipper deliver the boat for you? By the time you pay to have the boat readied for delivery, transported and reset up you may have a couple thousand dollars.

I would guess that you are looking at $3000 for the delivery only. Then you may need to pay the driver for any lay time, depending on the marina. You will have charges on each end for packing the boat and re-rigging. You may also have highway permits. I would guess you will have about $5-6k in total costs.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Then there is this service: http://www.uship.com/boats/ . Where boat haulers bid for your business. I was fortunate to find a reputable local hauler who was taking a boat from Lake Erie to Florida. So he had a boat both ways, mine from Tampa to Lake Erie. He was not a bidder but beat the best bid by $500.

Nov 11, 2009
Ericson 31 Independence Lake Lanier
I had a 31' Ericson transported March of last year from Smith Mountain Lake Virginia to Atlanta, Georgia. I was refered to Sean and Kim Smith, they are a husband and wife team.

Sean and Kim were very cost competitive and schedule conscience. I would highly recommend them.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 25_73-83 NORTH POINT MARINA/WINTHROP HA IL
A few considerations not relating to the departure and arrival point: 1.) If you are a particular person and your boat is in pristine condition (gelcoat) before shipping, it will be considerably less, if not horrible, with the accumulation of road grime and diesel exhaust at trip's end. Although they do not recommend shrink wrapping for safety and time reasons, I would never ship a boat again over land without that protection. All new boats are shrink wrapped for delivery.We shipped a boat from Miami to Chicago and it took three days of cleaning with engine degreaser to clean the boat. It was one of the top U.S. boat transport carriers. 2.)Remove as many items as possible that could suffer breakage and 3.)Even in over-built, heavy displacement boats you will find stress cracks that weren't there before. Unless time is a factor, I would never ship a boat over land if it could be delivered by water by a competent captain and crew.And my total cost 5 years ago was $7,000. once I added all the extras on each end. Good luck and congratulations on your new boat. Ron

Feb 26, 2004
Pearson 365 Ketch Memphis, TN
I used Joule Yacht Transport to move a 17,000 lb Pearson Ketch from the Chesapeake Bay to Memphis and they did a perfect job.Rigging/De-rigging cost more than the move. They were very reasonable. They can be reached at http://jouleyacht.com/

Ol Dave

Jun 25, 2004
- - Mukilteo, WA
I used Joule Yacht Transport when trucking our Catalina 320 from San Diego to Seattle last September. They did a great job and were very reasonably priced and on time. The cost of shipping our boat was about $3000 trucking and about $1200 decommissioning and commissioning on each end. I learned through research and common sense that the best person to pack you boat for shipping is you. Good luck.

Attachments

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
I strongly recommend

I would strongly recommend sailing it here yourself. I have done the east coast back to Slidell twice. Once from Long Island Sound, and once from N.J. Both trips were extremely enjoyable and pretty easy overall. Buy yourself some charts, a cruising guide, get a good chartplotter, and make a lot of new sailor friends. Most of the trip you will have the choice of the ICW or offshore. Boats are not made to ride on trucks. Sailboats are made to sail.

Sep 25, 2008
Morgan 415 Out Island Rogersville, AL
When I bought my Morgan 41 OI I considered sailing her from Savannah, GA to Rogersville, AL. I am so glad I trucked her instead because it took a good year to get the engine squared away even though the surveyor didn't find any issues.

Unless your benny is fairly new, the engine and mechanical systems will be an unknow. It is no fun being broken down for long periods of time far away from home.

Concerning surveyors: there are many good ones out there, but, during 30 years of boating, I've never met one.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I would strongly recommend sailing it here yourself.
I second that. I originally was going to sail my boat back to Maine from Detroit where we purchased her but some work came up. Once she arrived here by truck, it was pretty clear that sailing her back would have involved six weeks of unexpected preparation and repairs in Detroit despite a "good" survey. That certainly would have resulted in divorce right then and there and I could have spared myself two further years of agony:)

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
My experience told me that they can get pretty beat up on the overland trip. I did not have a choice considering my boat was in Stockton, Mo. and needed to go to Stockton, Ca. 2,000 very dirty miles. Some minor gel coat cracking and very very dirty from mud, sand & snow on the roads.

If you can take her on her bottom, you can do it in a few weeks. If you get a delivery capt, it will be there in a few days.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Delivery

If you can't sail it back yourself, my second recommendation would be a delivery capt. You would more than likely be doing your new boat a favor, and may very likely be at least competitive in price with trucking. This would not only allow a very good shakedown by a knowledgable person, who would be totally insured, but would allow you to sail some of the trip if time permits. While I have never met him, there is a guy who reguarly posts on the cruisers forum who is a delivery capt. Name of Jon Eisberg. When not making deliveries he sails everywhere, single handed, from the Carib. to Nova Scotia on his own Allied30. From reading his posts over the years, I have absolutely no doubt about his honesty nor his abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.