boat steers backwards???

Jun 17, 2019
Catalina 30 Texas south port
Evening y'all,

So long story short, had my transmission cable swapped out and now the boat steers backwards? i turn right it goes left and vice versa, a 79 catalina 30. can someone please explain how to fix this? i would appreciate it very much so!

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
When you say "transmission" cable do you mean the cable for forward - reverse on the gearbox for the shaft or do you mean the cable from the binnacle steering to the rudder quadrant?

If its the gearbox I cannot imagine how changing that would change the direction of rudder movement. However, if its the cable from the binnacle to the steering quadrant then it would appear that they (or you) did not install it correctly. Google the steering system you have and see if there is supposed to the a "twist" in the cable run at the bottom of the binnacle. Some do that.

• Helpful
Jun 17, 2019
I too have no idea how the mechanic pulled that off. Yes, the gearbox cable. so twist the cables at the bottom, where there are like 2 separate disks that the cable goes through? i thought of that, just thought they would rub together

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus:
@smokey73 has identified your challenge. The steering cable was installed incorrectly.
This statement:
"the boat steers backwards? i turn right it goes left and vice versa"

is about your steering and not about a transmission cable. In routing the transmission cable, I suspect, the repair person thought to adjust the crossover of the steering cable. To fix what looked incorrect. Unfortunately this has doomed you to steering your boat, as you say, BACKWARDS.

But all is not lost. You just need to repair this mistake.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
this post evokes so many political jokes which would get me kicked off the forum so I’ll say only - reverse the cables. It seems clear whoever did your work shouldn’t get paid.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The mechanic must have disconnected the steering cable to gain access to the transmission cable in the pedestal. Then he reinstalled it backwards or around the steering sprocket with a twist. You can try looking down the pedestal to try to see and access the twist, but access will likely be difficult. If you can’t quickly see the fix I’d call the mechanic back to untwist things, at no additional cost obviously.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It seems that the mechanic may have taken the steering cables off to get the transmission cable replaced, and then reversed the cables when he reconnected them.

I would require him to come out and fix them. Only he knows what he did…and how to fixit.

I am sure you could figure it out…but why ?

Greg

Jun 17, 2019
had 2 different mechanics work on it cause to say the least the first rarely showed up to do the job and i am 4 hours away mind you n the second one finished the job n claims he didn't do anything with the steering so im on my own.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The steering cables are suppose to cross over from one side to the other inside the pedestal between the sheaves you show in the photo and the chain that goes over the sprocket on the wheel shaft.
Apparently your mechanic disconnected the steering cables and reconnected them straight up instead of crossing them as needed.

You can access the cable ends where they connect to the chain by removing the compass. Disconnect them, cross them and reconnect. You’ll probably need to slacken the cables at the radial wheel and ensure they remain on the turning sheaves when you tighten them.

But, I agree with the others, have your mechanic fix his mistake.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
had 2 different mechanics work on it cause to say the least the first rarely showed up to do the job and i am 4 hours away mind you n the second one finished the job n claims he didn't do anything with the steering so im on my own.
So who “swapped out” the steering cable? If the second one “finished the job”, what did he do?

Jun 17, 2019
the first one got through most of the gear cable swap, the last one had to just assemble the rest.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The guy that didn’t show up is probably the culprit…:huh:

I don’t know if you have an Edson steering system, but they did make them for the Catalina 30…

pre-1987:

1987 & newer:

This might help you see where the mechanic disconnect the cables and swapped them…I am guessing where they attach to the chain that runs over the gear in the pedestal…

Greg

Jun 17, 2019
thank you for the diagram, it is a edson. unfortunately this boat is a mystery, no manuals, i only know tid bits of information about it, prior prior owner did custom work and didnt leave anything behind, makes fixing things a real mission.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@SailingFree44 you may not have the PO to help, but you have SBO and the talent of hundreds of owners here who will freely provide assistance.

You will become knowledgeable.

Post pictures of the problem. Describe the problem and ask questions. Your not alone.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
so the chain up top needs to be flipped?
I don’t think it is as simple as flipping the chain. Disconnect one cable, run the chain over the sprocket the other way and reconnect the cable.
The cables should cross without rubbing on each other or anything else in the pedestal.
It’s not an easy fix due the limited space in the pedestal.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
thank you for the diagram, it is a edson. unfortunately this boat is a mystery, no manuals, i only know tid bits of information about it, prior prior owner did custom work and didnt leave anything behind, makes fixing things a real mission.
yes, the joy of owning an older boat, trying to figure out what the prior owners may have “fixed” or “upgraded”.
Ditto to what John said.