Boat Speed

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
OK, Sail #307, M-25, wing keel, fixed three-blade. At 2600 rpm I see 5.5 to 5.8 knots on the paddle wheel and 6 to 6.2 on the GPS. New ablative bottom paint in Jul 14. Dodger and Bimini.

Jan 24, 2011
Hunter 30-2 Lake Champlain
2GM20F/ 1990 H30 (wing keel, faired poorly, poor bottom paint condition)... at 3000 RPM I get about 5.5-6kts. That being said, That is with the lever all the way forward. So, either the tach gauge is off, or the lever doesn't have full throttle travel.

Dec 5, 2014
catalina 30 st pete beach
This thread has a solid base of information. I will add my 2 cents of advice: 1.Verify your shaft RPMs with an independent rental piece of equipment (it works like a timing light; attach an adhesive reflective timing mark on the output shaft of your engine to establish a baseline.) Check your engine manual to verify recommended WOT RPM and if it varies from the norm then consult you're local propeller provider. Adjustments to the pitch may make a world of difference. 5.5 knots on your 310 with you're engine seems a little low; as some other replies would indicate. Good Luck and Good Sailing.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Captain James,
Thanks for the advice. I have done all that you recommend (consulting with my yanmar service person) and determined that the prop is close to perfect. Am going to do more real world testing next week after the bottom is cleaned and see what it looks like. I suspect/fear that I am just running up against an engine a little too small for my boat which is why I posted the question to start. Will post my results as I have to test at slack tide with minimal wind and a clean bottom. We'll see....
bob

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Amos,
We have the same engine (2GM20F) and I can tell you that maximum RPMs are 3,800 in neutral and 3,600 in gear. This is from the manufacturer and I have verified this with my own tests using an instrument to read RPMs. I can hit 3,530 rpm @ WOT. Hope that helps.
bob

Dec 5, 2014
Captain James,
Thanks for the advice. I have done all that you recommend (consulting with my yanmar service person) and determined that the prop is close to perfect. Am going to do more real world testing next week after the bottom is cleaned and see what it looks like. I suspect/fear that I am just running up against an engine a little too small for my boat which is why I posted the question to start. Will post my results as I have to test at slack tide with minimal wind and a clean bottom. We'll see....
bob
Your on the right track Bob. I wish you luck. Pray for 15-20 knot winds, set sails for a beam reach and you will probably increase your speed and save money on fuel.
Ah, the beauty of sailing. If you don't mind me asking, where do you primarily sail?
I am located in Florida and charter sail, dive and fish both coasts
My friends call me Jamie.
I think the Captain's credentials makes me seem pretentious.
Thank you for you're thoughtful reply.
Jamie

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Your on the right track Bob. I wish you luck. Pray for 15-20 knot winds, set sails for a beam reach and you will probably increase your speed and save money on fuel.
Ah, the beauty of sailing. If you don't mind me asking, where do you primarily sail?
I am located in Florida and charter sail, dive and fish both coasts
My friends call me Jamie.
I think the Captain's credentials makes me seem pretentious.
Thank you for you're thoughtful reply.
Jamie
do you also salvage boats

Dec 5, 2014
Yes. I am authorized to engage in commercial assistance towing (including salvage).
I don't dive cold water however. My Florida blood rebels below 80 degrees F. My direct contact (if permitted by this site) is rms2010@hardeemail.com.
Friends, family and clients call me Jamie.
Have a blessed, great day. It sounds as though you may need some help. I am not soliciting any business from you but if you email me personally with more details I will do my best to refer you to the right folks in your area that may be of assistance.
Note to web master: I am new to this site and enjoy it. I do not wish to break the rules of membership. Please contact me if I am pushing the envelope.
Thank You
Capt. James Hand USCG

Dec 5, 2014
bob,
good to know, I will check the charts and weather for your area. I am retired, so these projects keep me interested and involved with fellow sailors. I will keep in touch and if you happen to venture a little bit further south. I will be glad to assist you in any way possible. Be it navigation, marinas, service or emergency assistance towing (no charge for a fellow sailor in need). I joined for the fellowship, not to make money.
Fair winds and following seas.
Jamie
PS: Check in with captron. He is a knowledgeable local Capt of a 30' Catalina sailing out of Madeira Beach (Johns Pass) and has a wealth of local of knowledge in the Gulf of Mexico south to the the Keys & the Dry Tortugas.