boat restoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2010
chrysler mutineer 15 lake nokamixon
i have a chrysler mutineer i would like to separate the hull from the deck.when i took off the aluminum seam cover i saw the two halves are stapled together so i stoped.i am concerned about putting it back together after removing the staples.has anyone done this before or have any suggestions for me.
thank you

Jul 20, 2010
Precision P28 Lake Ouachita
I removed all the screws between the hull and deck on my Venture 17 though I didn't try to physically separate the two. I did it because I wanted to finish the interior of the cabin and the screws were in the way. I replaced the screws with T nuts on the inside and used shorter screws that didn't protrude inside the hull. I used lock-tite on the shorter screws. It made for a very neat joint between hull and deck. Maybe you could remove the staples and replace with something like that. It just requires a bunch of them but the T nuts are available in SS through Ace Hardware.

Sep 24, 2010
I removed all the screws between the hull and deck on my Venture 17 though I didn't try to physically separate the two. I did it because I wanted to finish the interior of the cabin and the screws were in the way. I replaced the screws with T nuts on the inside and used shorter screws that didn't protrude inside the hull. I used lock-tite on the shorter screws. It made for a very neat joint between hull and deck. Maybe you could remove the staples and replace with something like that. It just requires a bunch of them but the T nuts are available in SS through Ace Hardware.
thank you for the info.
i will see about giving that a try.i am new to all of this so going to take my time.boat is actually for my son who goes to sailing camp every summer in georgia.thanks again

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Besides the staples, the entire seam will be joined with a permanent type adhesive, probably epoxy based. It is very probable that even if you were successful in removing the staples you would damage both hull and deck when trying to separate the two.

Rather than attempting to separate the deck and hull, I would try removing as much old crud as possible and recaulk the seam with 3M 5200 or 4200, then additional fasteners.

Sep 24, 2010
I Wanted To Sererate Them To Repair Some Damge From The Inside.is This Not A Good Idea

Jul 12, 2004
-chrysler -c26 full keel longwood
I would go with Joes advice! once you start separating you open up endless other issues. unless you really would rather work on your boat then sail it I would scrape and clean and use 5200 the quick set type not the slow set. the staple where used to hold it in place until the bonding agent set .

Sep 24, 2010
I would go with Joes advice! once you start separating you open up endless other issues. unless you really would rather work on your boat then sail it I would scrape and clean and use 5200 the quick set type not the slow set. the staple where used to hold it in place until the bonding agent set .
the problem i have is not with the seam leaking.when the boat was parked someone backed into it. the damage is at the seam and above & below it.about the size of a softball.can i repair this from the outside? most things i have read recomend to do it from the inside

Jul 12, 2004
-chrysler -c26 full keel longwood
you can repair it from either side the advantage of doing it from the inside is you minimize your final finish area. which ever side you decide make sure you get a good taper on the patch so you get more surface area on good fiberglass, and build it up with layers growing in size

Sep 24, 2010
you can repair it from either side the advantage of doing it from the inside is you minimize your final finish area. which ever side you decide make sure you get a good taper on the patch so you get more surface area on good fiberglass, and build it up with layers growing in size
alrite thank you.i wasnt sure if i could do that,but that saves me alot of time and effort.agin thank you for the advise

Sep 24, 2010
TRIM

alrite Thank You.i Wasnt Sure If I Could Do That,but That Saves Me Alot Of Time And Effort.agin Thank You For The Advise
Does Anyone Know Were To Get Replacement Rub Rail Thas Is Same As Original.aluminum With Bow And Coner Caps To Cover The Seam

Jul 17, 2009
Endeavour/Chrysler E-32/C-22 swimming pool
Hey Shawn there are a cew members here www.chryslersailors.com with C-15 that could help. I even posted where you can get a nanual for your C-15. I did seperate rhe deck from hull on a C-22 so it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.