Boat rescue off Block Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I find it much more dubious for someone who has never sailed offshore to question the wisdom of those who do.
No, but it's not the wisdom of leaving that's really at issue here. The vessel and her crew is a unit. With modern vessels, the crew will almost always be the weak link. The most essential task of the master in making departure decision like this one is balancing the capabilities of the vessel and crew against the probable conditions. The vessel and crew clearly weren't up to the job. The master clearly failed in that essential task.

Two more tough and experienced hands, and the boat would be in warm water now with the crew watching for flying fish. Of course, it would have been hard to find experienced hands willing to leave with that forecast.

The article in the Providence paper is a priceless read.

J

jgarmin098

I watched this boat leave Greenwich Cove while waiting for the snow storm to arrive. At the moment they motored out, the Weather Channel radar showed snow approaching the western edge of Rhode Island.

My wife and I were so shocked to see it leave, we hopped in the car and drove over to the end of Potowamut to see where it was headed. I thought maybe the skipper was concerned about being on an exposed dock in a Northeaster and was seeking shelter elsewhere, perhaps in the lee of Prudence Island. Once we arrived at our vantage point, we watched incredulously as the boat contined south right down the bay to the ocean. I remember saying to my wife, "I'd love to know what the back story is on that guy."

As is typical of starting a voyage downwind, the conditions were probably very pleasant aboard. The boat was on starboard tack with only the (135?) jib unfurled. The bay was actually still quite sedate and the boat moved at a relaxed pace. As my father taught me when I was just a wee lad, "Don't start a down wind sail without first trying to beat back into it. That way you'll know what to expect when it's time to come home." Had this skipper turned around just briefly to beat back into it, I'm certain he would have beat right back into Greenwich Bay and back to the dock.

Oct 6, 2006
- - Scotch House Cove
It does not surprise me that the boat is "not seaworthy" as it was reported that the transmission did not appear to function properly leaving the dock on Friday nearly wiping out their solar panels when things got out of control as a result. Seasoned, or not, they left port not ahead of the storm, but into the storm and if they are experienced sailors, they used extremely poor judgement here, everyone here at the marina questioned their sanity before they departed the marina on Friday, but what are you going to say to them? I'd be willing to bet that the fuel filters clogged, the reason for lost power, and I would also bet that the integrity of the rest of this boat is questionable.... in my opinion....

BillyB

Dec 25, 2008
C&C 36 Belfast, ME
I have an interesting take on the recent rescue of MOONSHINE. We bought her new in 1989 from a guy named Starrett who bought plans from Morgan and built a number of 45 footers in FL and AL. He modified the original design's deck to a center cockpit and the boat could be either rigged as a masthead sloop or ketch. It had a Volvo Penta 2003 at that time and was a bit underpowered fora 30,000 lb, full keel vessel. We had a Monitor windvane, solar panels on the stern rails, a Windbugger, VHF, SSB, 406 Epirb along with other safety items.

In 1992 we left Boston for Cuttyhunk, Bermuda, the Azores, Portugal, Spain, Gibraltar, Morocco, the Canaries and Cape Verdes before return to the Caribbean and evenutually home to Massachusetts. Our crew consisted of myself, my lovely wife and our two daughters then 7 and 9. During our travels we encountered similar weather conditions as those experienced by her current owners but offshore and without the cold and snow. Plenty of nights sailing at 8 kts under bare poles usually in the right direction. I never felt in danger but always followed the dictum that said "sailing is the art of learning how to wait".

MOONSHINE appears much as she did when we last saw her around 2000 when she was sold to a Maine fisherman, presumably not the present owners. The dodger even looks the same as the one we had made in 1990. I am surprised at those that say she looks tired if only because the pictures are so poor making even our identification one for discussion. The article quotes someone as saying she wasn't seaworthy although she seems to be riding well at the dock with only the sail damage apparent.

Our daughters are now out of college and I think the better for our trip. I know I am and dream of going again once the kids start sending checks in our direction.

Mar 23, 2008
Hunter 26.5 Urbanna, Va.
Whew! After reading all of these posts I must add one salient point to the conversation. Every sailor should know not to begin a voyage on a Friday. It is bad luck. Has been for centuries.

Nov 8, 2008
Macgregor 26s Fallis, Alberta, Canada
Hats off to the coast guard! It's unfortunate that the brave people of th CG have to put their lives on the line so often fighting Darwin. People that ignore all the information available, like this particular bunch really need to get out of the gene pool.

Dec 28, 2008
Pearson 303 Shelter Island
It looks to me that the boat has two jibs. The outer one is a roller and the inner one is hanked on.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Either the boat was a cutter or it had an inner forestay added. Many cruising boats have a solent stay or inner forestay of some sort added, since it make the use of a storm jib far simpler and helps the boat balance better.

Status
Not open for further replies.