Boat renaming etiquette

Aug 14, 2014
S2 9.2A Selby Bay, MD
We are planning on renaming our boat (purchased last fall) to start the spring season. Her present name means nothing to us and could be viewed by some as offensive these days.

Anyway, we had settled on a new name only to learn this week that a another new member to our club/marina is bringing his boat that bears the name we had chosen.

I am hoping to get opinions on whether it would be considered "bad etiquette" to rename our boat with our chosen name, leading to two boats in the marina with the same name.

Thanks in advance.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
With so many things to worry about.... I know three guys named Frank and two women named Susan. It's no big deal. Happens all the time. as long as they don't share the same slip, it'll be just fine

Aug 14, 2014
S2 9.2A Selby Bay, MD
Thanks Ctskip - I just need more answers like yours to convince the "Admiral" that we needn't change our plans. :)

ALNims

Jul 31, 2014
Hunter 356 Huis Ten Bosch Marina, Sasebo, Japan
Why not put a II behind the new name. You can keep your chosen name and distinguish your name with a II. Something along this line could work. What is your new chosen name?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
what would you do if you go into marina or port and come across a boat with the same name ...change it....i hope not ..... just name it whatever you wanted to to begin with and enjoy the boat and don't get caught up in keeping with the jones's

Aug 14, 2014
S2 9.2A Selby Bay, MD
All good points! I will tell the Admiral I am going to move ahead with the name as planned. Now lets just hope it doesn't anger/confuse Poseidon during the renaming ceremony. :)

Coyote

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 30T Madeira Beach, Florida
I certainly wouldn't change my first choice for a boat name based on another vessel bearing the same name. It's a marina,, boats and owners come and go, and for the most part, they are rented slips,,, and so many marinas have a large number slips, our current marina has over 300, and there are docks I've never even walked on,,
the other owners should take it as a compliment -- you could always use your boat brand S2, as part of your name when doing club events if needed,,,

fwiw-
Coyote

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... I am hoping to get opinions on whether it would be considered "bad etiquette" to rename our boat with our chosen name, leading to two boats in the marina with the same name...
I am on my third boat named after my daughter: "TERI LYN"; I , II, and III.

On the bay for the start of The Great Schooner Race, there was a power boat in front of us named "Blue Whale". On our port was a sailboat named... "Blue Whale". Go for whatever you want. No matter what name you pick, you probably will NOT be the only boat with that name.

Aug 14, 2014
S2 9.2A Selby Bay, MD
Alright - I just told the Admiral she's been out flanked - I am moving ahead with the boat name I desire.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Alright - I just told the Admiral she's been out flanked - I am moving ahead with the boat name I desire.
:stirthepot: don't cast it in stone just yet the admiral may balk on ya :eek: and we all know what that means :D

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Why not put a II behind the new name. You can keep your chosen name and distinguish your name with a II. Something along this line could work. What is your new chosen name?
Put a II behind HIS boat name.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
I have always had the desire to name my boat Dog House. I know it can't be original, but I have always enjoyed calling her that.

The next one was Nachos, as in nachos boat.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
If you name your boat before the member arrives with his, he'll be the copycat. Name your boat what you want to name it. Have fun!

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I purchased my boat, Amazing Grace, in July. The spouse and I discussed name changes but decided to keep it. I made arrangements with the marina for a slip. To our great surprise, when we backed into the slip after a two day journey with our new to us boat, another Amazing Grace was berthed in the slip immediately adjacent.

Karma!

Feb 4, 2015
Beneateau 49 Newport
I would not rename the boat. I have had several boats over the years and have never renamed them. It's like renaming an adopted child. Also, very unlucky. See http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm
Renaming a boat is, of course, not something to be done lightly. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all are those who have defied the gods and changed their names.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
well....those are kind of harsh words:naughty:.
as much as it doesnt matter so much what you name the boat, it DOES matter what the admiral thinks, or more specifically what she thinks you think about her feelings.

sometimes it can be tough getting our better half "onboard" with our passion for our boat, and if she ever thinks you care more about the boat than you do her, what little interest she has in it may begin to fade and it will probably be an uphill battle for you from then on.
its better to make sure she remains a part of the decision process in all things, at least in appearance if not in actual fact or practice:D.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
+1 to what Centerline said. As long as y'all both agree I still think you shouldn't let another boat's name influence your decision, though.

Aug 14, 2014
S2 9.2A Selby Bay, MD
The Admiral and I have a fantastic relationship - 27 years and going strong! I am lucky in that she was the one that pushed for us to get into sailing. So, the "out flanking" was merely a comment made in jest.

I think what we've decided to do is play off on the name with a slightly different spelling. That plus the fact one couldn't confuse our boat for a 47' er should allow for the two boats to happily co-exist.

As for the renaming, there is apparently one in the club who is well versed in these matters so I trust we can appease the powers that be when it comes time to rename her.