Boat registration

Mar 21, 2022
Bristol Corsair Tampa
Ok.... Here we go, im considering to register an old 1976 Bristol Corsair 24. I heard from someone that after certain amount of years they're considered (cant recall the word) snd due to that, they're tax exempt, or pay less, or something like that... So... You that have the answer, the know how, the experience, tbe knowledge. STEP FORWARD my friend and throw your light of knowledge into it, so i can proceed with the right advice/knowledge.
Once again, as always. I take my hat off before all of you. Your wisdom and advice is for Kings and im just your humble sailor buddy. Thx in advance.
TSP

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The answer to your dreams should lie here:

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Pretty much all states require registration if engine driven in addition to the sails. Many states exempt the boat from sales taxes after some time (in Louisiana, it is 10 years) and many states exempt from sales tax if the sale is a transaction between people not dealers..good luck!!

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
All states in the US have a financial interest in boat’s being used on “their” waters. So they tax the boat owner, or charge a use fee. To facilitate this process they require at the point of transfer “sale” registration of the ownership.

You will need to examine the local rules of the state within which the boat is home ported. In your case I believe it is Florida.

You have indicated an interest in sailing your Bristol off shore into foreign waters. This adds additional context to your ownership. The US Coast Guard requires US commercial boats to be “documented“. This is done so that ownership can be tracked (similar to title of real property) and financial companies (banks or lien holders) can be protected under international law when a boat moves beyond the boarder of the US waters. Unlike some states which on occasion operate with “loose regard for boat registration”, since the USCG monitors boats under International treaties, documented boat ownership is centrally controlled and the transfer is carefully regulated.

Recreational boaters with a boat that meets the USCG regulations can be documented. This has a benefit to a boat owner who cruises into the waters of a foreign country. The boat has some protection based on international treaties. Boat ownership is clarified for the customs officials based on the international rules.

That is a simple look at the issue. You will need to do the research depending on where you plan to sail.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Registration -- yes Taxes -- maybe.

In VA I had a 30 year-old boat and my tax was something like $15/year... and was in the same category as other "real" property taxes (like cars, trailers etc.)... as @kloudie1 indicated... some states will just fuggedaboutit once it starts costing more to collect the tax than the taxed amount. Go figure! Louisiana has a progressive tax code :biggrin:.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
As noted above, the devil is in the details.

Are you importing the boat from out of country ? Which country/state/province are you registering it in ? Engine size is sometimes a factor. Boat size is usually a factor.
Depending on use and use location, it may need to be registered at the national or state/provincial level.

Tldr: Give the kind folks here more details and they can help you better.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Florida does have a antique boat registration program, based on 25 years old and with original propulsion. Cost is only admin fee about 7 bucks a year. Check with county tag office for forms etc.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I believe the age for antique registration in Fl is 30yrs., same as for vehicles. I registered my h30 as antique when she turned 30 in 2007. Yearly reg. fee went from $50+ to $6.25.
Not all tax clerks realize this, however. I had to go to a supervisor who then had to go look this up and then try and find the paperwork.

Last edited:
May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Here's a link:
Here's an excerpt:
(2) ANTIQUE VESSEL REGISTRATION FEE.—
(a) A vessel that is at least 30 years old, used only for recreational purposes, and powered by the vessel’s original-type power plant may be registered as an antique vessel. When applying for registration as an antique vessel, the owner of such a vessel shall submit certification, as prescribed by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles or from a marine surveyor that the vessel meets the requirements of this paragraph.