Boat Registration Number Etching

• Thread starter Kevin and Kathy O'Brien
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin and Kathy O'Brien

Okay, so I know this is petty, but I have to ask. I just closed on my Catalina 36 MkII yesterday. "Monterey", Hull number 1944 is absolutely beautiful. But ... Catalina etched the hull identification number by hand! Penmenship wasn't great either (understandable given the surface and angle). My Pearson was stamped. Is this some sort of Pride of Workmanship issue with Catalina or did their hull stamper go on the fritz? K

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Weird

I don't know about other 36s but my old 27 was stamped. That's kinda funny - hey, think of it as "hand finishing." :) LaDonna

B

Bob Carlton

Where is it etched?

My 28 is stamped under the rubrail on the port or starboard side (can't remember which) of the stern. Where is your hand-etched hull number located? Is it possible that the prior owner etched it?

J

Jon

Poor penmanship

My '2000 C310 also has an obviously hand engraved hull VIN. Looks a little amateurish . Sorry about that I guess.

K

Kevin and Kathy O'Brien

Etching Location

It is etched under the starboard side rubrail. It is a new boat so there was no prior owner. It left the factory 7 days ago. The dealer was dumbfounded as well.

J

John Mavrovich

Mine Too

My '91 C30 is hand etched also in the same location. LaDonna's comment about hand finishing make me feel a whole lot better now.

P

Paul

vin #

We have an MKII on order too. For some reason Catalina is etching the vin # by hand. All the new ones are like that. Makes no sense to me. We couldn't believe it when we first saw it. Makes it a lot easier to for shady business in my opinion.

P

Paul

re vin#

Just to clarify. It was not my intent to infer that Catalina is doing any funny buisness. Just that in the case of a stolen vessel, it would be easier to change the number without it seeming unusual.

R

R. Palaia

Makes sense if you think about production

Think about what the hull number says and hand etching makes sense. As part of the hull number, the month and year the boat is commissioned by Catalina (i.e. when it is complete at the plant). For example, H001 would mean August 2000, H is the eighth letter, eighth being August. zero would mean 2000. The last two digits are the "model" year, 01 meaning 2001. So, you can have a boat that is a 2001 model, but was complete in August of 2000. If Catalina stamped the hull numbers, this would have to be done when the hull was fabricated in the mold, which would be the very first step. By hand etching when the boat is fully complete, they can put all the correct information in the hull number with respect to month and year completed. This gives them a safety net incase production gets backed up, or if things are ahead of schedule. Roc

D

Dick Keenan

New and Improved?

In this eighth month of 2000, Roc's explanation for the etched numbers sounds just bureaucratic enough to be accurate. The etching may be a wonderful CYA aid for the manufacturer, but I'd prefer something that's a little harder to counterfeit. Here's a novel idea... what if Catalina would commit to a finish date, stamp it into the new hull, then actually complete and ship the boat on time?

J

Jon

Hidden Vin #

Besides the etching, my C310 also has what looks like a VIN label with clear resin overcoat. It's located on the outside of the molded compartment that the freshwater tank sits in, under the forward bunk, under the forward access cover. It includes a warning not to remove or deface under penalty of law.

Status
Not open for further replies.