Boat Ramps on the Potomac and surrounding waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2010
Beneteau 321 Edgewater, MD
First let me say that I apologize if this has already been asked.

I have a Hunter 23 that I need to launch off of the trailer somewhere in NOVA or MD. I am located in Bethesda, MD, so anywhere close would be better. I have never launched a boat in this area, so I have no idea where the ramps are located. It has to be a long, deep ramp to get the H23 off of the trailer.

Does anyone in the area knows of a good deep ramp on any of the rivers or the Bay? It is a popular area for sailing, so I hope someone has some experience.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My 1993 edition of the ADC Chesapeake Bay Chartbook has all the ramps shown with little icons. Strangly, they do not show one at Sandy Point, though I know there is a massive facility there. I assume the book is still in print with a newer edition ???

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Couple

Over the years we have launched many different 22 foot size boats at Holiday Hills Marina in Mayo VA. They have parking areas for trailerable boats and trailers, no amenities. Right now we have a Compact 25 moored and use the ramp for winter haul out and spring launch.

Up north of Baltimore on the Middle River we have a 28 foot trailerable at Maryland Marina that has a nice launch ramp and parking areas for trailerable boats and trailers, many other amenities, the 28 footer is moored.

Both these boats are just a little large for launching for every use, a 23 with swing or drop board I see no problems unless the tide and wind has dropped the water level big time.

Sep 24, 2010
Beneteau 321 Edgewater, MD
Thanks for the responses from everyone. I am mostly looking for a place to put the boat in the water to check for leaks and whatnot, not to go sailing just yet.
I am thinking about trying the ramp at Seneca Lake in Montgomery County. I think there will be less traffic at a fishing lake ramp this time of year. I'll have to check the ramp out in person, because the office is only open on the weekends this time of year.

Watercolors:

I searched for Holiday Hills Marine in Mayo VA and came up with nothing. I did find Holiday Hill Marina in Edgewater, MD which looks promising as a place for me to store the boat on land once I get it ready. Do you have a contact number or address for the Holiday Hills Marina in Mayo VA? Thanks.

Dec 23, 2008
The name is Holiday Hill Marina and I see their address is Edgewater, but the marina is almost at the end of Calawasse Rd. No one is around on weekends so using the ramp is pay by the honor system.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
The name is Holiday Hill Marina and I see their address is Edgewater.
The Mayo Post Office is at the corner of Carr's Wharf Rd and Rte 214. Casa Rio Marina is on Carrs Wharf Rd. Has a chandlery, to boot.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
the ride out from here is one of the nicest in that part of the bay...enjoy...

Dec 23, 2008
Wiener Schnitzel

Casa Rio Marina has a great selection of trailersailors and other small boats, a friend has bought his last two trailer boats there.

The Old Stein Inn is a great place to eat, if you like German food and out the river and to the right is food and drink on the water at Galesville.

Sep 15, 2007
Hunter 22 Temple Hills, Maryland
Thanks for the responses from everyone. I am mostly looking for a place to put the boat in the water to check for leaks and whatnot, not to go sailing just yet.
I am thinking about trying the ramp at Seneca Lake in Montgomery County. I think there will be less traffic at a fishing lake ramp this time of year. I'll have to check the ramp out in person, because the office is only open on the weekends this time of year.

Watercolors:

I searched for Holiday Hills Marine in Mayo VA and came up with nothing. I did find Holiday Hill Marina in Edgewater, MD which looks promising as a place for me to store the boat on land once I get it ready. Do you have a contact number or address for the Holiday Hills Marina in Mayo VA? Thanks.
There's a marinia (Dangerfield Island) next to Reagan Airport that sound perfect for what you want to do. Another one near Wilson Bridge (Belle Haven Marina), and Fort Washington Marina in Fort Washington, Maryland. All of these are on the Potomac and near downtown Washington D.C.

Jan 22, 2008
The Old Stein Inn is a great place to eat, if you like German food and out the river and to the right is food and drink on the water at Galesville.
Sorry, the Stein had a fire. They hope to be open for Octoberfest 2011.

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
Macgregor 22 Alexandria, VA
I also recommend the one north of Reagan, aka Gravelly Point, for a quick float test. You have to get to it by going northbound on the GW parkway, though, so route accordingly.

Washington Sailing Marina, just south of Reagan, and Bellle Haven Marina further down, both off the GW, are also good spots with more support if you need it.

If you want to get closer to more scenic river cruising and avoid the built-up areas, try the Pohick Bay Regional Park ramp. Decent camping, a fun pool for the kids (Pirate's Cove) and an adequate ramp. Delicious freshwater clams up Accotink Creek on the north side of the bay, if you're willing to go hunt them.

Try the Active Captain website for charts and crowd-sourced information on ramps, marinas, and more.
https://www.activecaptain.com/X.php

Good luck!

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
There's a marinia (Dangerfield Island) next to Reagan Airport that sound perfect for what you want to do. Another one near Wilson Bridge (Belle Haven Marina), and Fort Washington Marina in Fort Washington, Maryland. All of these are on the Potomac and near downtown Washington D.C.
A little further south is where I launch my boat from: Leesylvania State Park, near Woodbridge, VA - about 30 min. from downtown DC except at rush hour. Lots of fishermen there but quite a few sailors too. Home of Woodbridge Sailing School (http://www.sailwoodbridge.com/home).

Status
Not open for further replies.