Boat Possibly Declared a Total Loss 1987 Hunter 31

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I think you're giving up to soon unless you just plain do not want the boat anymore. I have a 38 yr old boat that i bought five yrs ago pretty cheap. I did my own survey probably better than any surveyor could. I had one of these some 30 yrs ago so I know the boat well and it has a good reputation. I used it the first yr while making my refit plan. I worked four winters on major projects/upgrades and always had the boat ready to sail during spring/summer/fall. It is finished and I basically have the equivalent of a new boat (some areas better). I have $55K "invested" in this boat (including purchase) which should last the rest of my sailing days. And, for that $55K, i have a boat with all new systems, engine, electronics, tanks, rig, windlass, sail, galley, etc. etc. And for that $55K, I know what I have. I was willing to do all the labor (which I enjoy) and have done 99% of it. Dont get mislead down the path that if you spend more money buying a "newer" boat, everything will be good......

Oct 20, 2016
Hunter 31 Seattle
After spending all afternoon looking at options, repairing might be the better route. If insurance won't cover it and I have to toss the boat, I'd be losing like $20,000 for what I'm into the boat. If I fix everything, I'd at least have a running boat, and it wouldn't be substantially more than fixing.

This is what people were trying to tell me, but I think my anger about this whole situation didn't have me thinking straight. I tend to be impulsive and irrational, especially when things don't work out like I planned.

Port Townsend rigging says they could possibly fix the mast by installing a doubler at the spreader position. They said if feasible it's around $3000. Definitely something I'm looking into. From talking w/ them and seeing photos on the website, their work looks excellent and promising for my situation. This sounds basically like what another rigger told me was possible.

Might be worth a trip to Port Townsend. I think they might be able to fix up the mast and deck, and have the boat ready to sail back. I think motoring to Port Townsend would take about a day. It could be tough since I have the mast off already, I'd have to have the mast step sealed back up and mast installed, just to have the boat hauled out and mast unstepped again. This will be something to figure out. It would be good if I could get the mast over to Port Townsend rigging without having to put it back on my boat.

What would be the cheapest and easiest way to get the mast to Port Townsend from Seattle? It's sitting on sawhorses by Shilshole now.

http://www.porttownsendrigging.com/gallery/nxphoto.aspx?gallery=sparbuild&lbl=Spar Building

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
Is it not possible to lash your mast to the pulpit and pushpit, then tape some plastic around your mast step and take everything with?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't know the geography or conditions of the trip from where you are to Port Townsend, but it seems more reasonable to leave the mast unstepped and to motor over there. I've taken a boat out of a yard because I didn't agree with the repair plan. It's a little uncomfortable but you can live through it. It's just business. You have the right to do what's in your best interest.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
What Scotty and Shemandr said! Is the mast at Seaview? They should be able to crane it to the boat or put it in the slings and lower it down to the boat. No different than commissioning a boat off the truck..you might get to Townsend in a day although days are getting short. You should be able to make pt. Ludlow and then Pt. Townsend. Ludlow has a resort if you dont want to overnight on the boat. Might want to go through the canal at Pt. Hadlock. Plan the tides...

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Take some pix and send to the rigger at Pt. Townsend and see what they think. I think Brian Toss is there and he's one of the best. I'd still call NW rigging for a sanity and comparison check. You know,,second opinion??

Oct 20, 2016
Hunter 31 Seattle
Port Townsend Rigging says they have their own trailer and regularly pick up masts in Seattle, so this is most likely what I'll do. They seem to be the most capable rigging shop in Puget Sound based on what they've told me over the phone and what I see on their website.

A repair would definitely make the boat worth keeping, so I'll hope that they can fix it. I'm shocked these guys at Seaview would be so confident that the mast is toast, when another shop is fairly confident that it can be fixed. I would think that they'd at least recommend Port Townsend Rigging rather than simply telling me that the mast is finished. I guess this is why people say to shop around.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2016
Hunter 31 Seattle
Call Andy at NW Rigging in Anacortes.
Mark, thanks for the recommendation! You were spot on with these guys, they're very confident they can fix the mast even tho Seaview said it wasn't possible. I'm pretty blown away at their estimated price and confidence as well as the ability to pick up the mast from Seattle.

Since you knew the right rigging shop, who would you recommend for fiberglass work?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Three solid folks in the Puget Sound for rigging IMO... TOSS.$$$ well respected reputation... Bob Doyle in Everett known to sailing community with international experience (solved my problems)... and NW Rigging in Anacortes...

The PT Rigging site looks great and they are using good words to describe their mission and viewpoint.

As Mark identified, would be a long one day trip. Do able. 32 miles from Shilshole. 5.5 hours at 6 knots. An all day adventure with a nice port at the end of the trip.

Oct 20, 2016
Hunter 31 Seattle
PT Rigging said pickup in Seattle is no problem, so no need to motor over. I'll have them fix the mast and replace some of the standing rigging, then ship it back to Seattle. I'm hoping to do the fiberglass work in Seattle.

I've spent a lot of time on the phone with Bob Doyle recently, and he also took a look at my boat a couple months back for other reasons. He seems extremely knowledgeable, and he's called me a number of times, free of charge, to help me out. Nobody has spent the amount of time helping me on these issues like Bob. Based on phone calls with Bob, I'd definitely recommend him for work.

Bob's shop had this very mast down 3 years ago to work on roller furling damage (I'm starting to wonder if the roller furling damage and spreader damage are possibly related). Bob said at the time there was no standing water in the mast step, and the spreader attachment looked ok to him. Bob said he recommended to the previous owner to pull and reseal the mast step, but the previous owner declined. If they had followed Bob's advice, the deck would likely be ok right now (unless that spinnaker chock was installed AFTER this). Personally I believe the previous owner had a lot to do with this, that guy cut corners left and right to save a little time and money, and I'm having to undo a ton of stuff that guy did.

It's also possible that the previous owner knew about the spreader repair, but decided it was good enough for him since Bob didn't seem alarmed about the condition. That buckling around the spreader could very well have happened recently, there's no way to know when it happened. I'm sure if Bob had seen buckling in the mast, he wouldn't have worked on it.

I don't know when the spinnaker was mounted next to the deck step. It could be that the previous owner mounted that spinnaker chock in the last 3 years, and that's what has led to water build up inside the mast. Seems really hard to believe that water wasn't in the mast step before if that spinnaker chock was there all along. Bob said it was definitely the rainy season when he worked on the boat, and it was totally dry inside the step.

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
I believe a Hunter 31 (not certain, but either a 31 or at most a 34) of that vintage was just declared a loss at my boatyard and will likely be cut up. It nearly sank because of a failed knot-meter through hull. But even though it didn't sink, the interior was flooded including the wiring (I heard the engine did turn over, though). But no matter--insurance company declared it a loss. But my point in bringing this up is that there was nothing wrong with the mast. If you're interested, it would have to be shipped out from NY, but send me a private message and I'll put you in touch with the boatyard manager who can give you details and possibly arrange a salvage sale.

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
I'm sure glad that Seattle Hunter has found some options other than scrapping his boat. With a little effort and a few repairs he will have a descent vessel and maybe get a fist full of loot when goes to sell. That's awesome!

Oct 20, 2016
Hunter 31 Seattle
I'm sure glad that Seattle Hunter has found some options other than scrapping his boat. With a little effort and a few repairs he will have a descent vessel and maybe get a fist full of loot when goes to sell. That's awesome!
There's too much up in the air now to know what will happen. Best case scenario, insurance will cut me a check and take the boat away. If insurance doesn't pay, fixing the mast and deck makes the most sense. I'd only scrap the boat if riggers told me that a repair isn't possible after they've looked at the mast up-close. I've been talking to a few of the best riggers around, so they should be able to tell me the best option at this point.

I think a new mast just isn't an option due to the very high cost vs the value of the boat, so I'd have to go with a repair. My guess is that estimates for the mast and all hardware will come in at over $20k.

Oct 20, 2016
Hunter 31 Seattle
At this point I've talked to 4 separate yards. Only 1 said repair was possibly feasible, and that was coming from their front office staff, not the person in charge. At this point I'm going to work with insurance, my best hope is to get the most money possible. Unless a used mast works out, I'd say repair isn't something I'd want to do. They had a good point too -- a boat with a repaired mast is basically worthless to sell. I didn't ever intend to keep this boat long term, I had hoped to keep the boat a few years as a starter, then sell.

Opinions definitely vary on this, but it seems the people with the most experience and best reputations are saying that a repair is not worth doing. I'd like to talk more to the yard that says a repair might be feasible, it could turn out their opinion will end up matching everyone else.

It looks like more realistically a new mast and standing rigging is somewhere closer to $30k when all is said and done. For a Hunter 31, not worth it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I guess, if you try to install a new everything to bristol condition then $30K is a possibility. But if you look at a used mast in good condition, and standard design of rigging, your more likely in under $15K. If you do any of the work yourself then you may be in under $10K. With your engineering skills most of the work is within your ability or at the least with guidance from some of the skilled in the trade.
On the other hand you might rather be sailing in a new boat and getting out of this one is a better fit.
You might consider a donation of the boat to one of the boat charity groups in Seattle.
Sea Scouts takes in boats. http://seattlebsa.org/

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
At this point I've talked to 4 separate yards. Only 1 said repair was possibly feasible, and that was coming from their front office staff, not the person in charge. At this point I'm going to work with insurance, my best hope is to get the most money possible. Unless a used mast works out, I'd say repair isn't something I'd want to do. They had a good point too -- a boat with a repaired mast is basically worthless to sell. I didn't ever intend to keep this boat long term, I had hoped to keep the boat a few years as a starter, then sell.

Opinions definitely vary on this, but it seems the people with the most experience and best reputations are saying that a repair is not worth doing. I'd like to talk more to the yard that says a repair might be feasible, it could turn out their opinion will end up matching everyone else.

It looks like more realistically a new mast and standing rigging is somewhere closer to $30k when all is said and done. For a Hunter 31, not worth it.
Wait a minute...what about your post #48, concerning NW Rigging's confidence that they can effect a solid repair? And I thought PT Rigging also felt that a repair might be possible? Did they change their mind about this? By "yards" are you talking about boatyards or these professional riggers? If the former, you should give far less credence to what they say than to either of the professional rigging outfits that have given you advice.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
...Riveting! Half want the ship refit and saved! Half want her torn asunder! Aaaah! Which will it be, "Hump or death!" Keep digging, and KEEP POSTING.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
After spending all afternoon looking at options, repairing might be the better route. If insurance won't cover it and I have to toss the boat, I'd be losing like $20,000 for what I'm into the boat. If I fix everything, I'd at least have a running boat, and it wouldn't be substantially more than fixing.

This is what people were trying to tell me, but I think my anger about this whole situation didn't have me thinking straight. I tend to be impulsive and irrational, especially when things don't work out like I planned.

Port Townsend rigging says they could possibly fix the mast by installing a doubler at the spreader position. They said if feasible it's around $3000. Definitely something I'm looking into. From talking w/ them and seeing photos on the website, their work looks excellent and promising for my situation. This sounds basically like what another rigger told me was possible.

Might be worth a trip to Port Townsend. I think they might be able to fix up the mast and deck, and have the boat ready to sail back. I think motoring to Port Townsend would take about a day. It could be tough since I have the mast off already, I'd have to have the mast step sealed back up and mast installed, just to have the boat hauled out and mast unstepped again. This will be something to figure out. It would be good if I could get the mast over to Port Townsend rigging without having to put it back on my boat.

What would be the cheapest and easiest way to get the mast to Port Townsend from Seattle? It's sitting on sawhorses by Shilshole now.

http://www.porttownsendrigging.com/gallery/nxphoto.aspx?gallery=sparbuild&lbl=Spar Building
You should also reach out to Brion Toss in Port Townsend. He's a great guy and one of the best out there at his trade.