Boat Name Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

I am about to take delivery on a 320 and am trying to find info on peel and stick graphics for the boat name. The boat is documented so ther will only be the name and port. Where do you put these on the new style transoms? Put it on the side instead perhaps? Does anyone have suggestions for the name lettering? Do these hot printed ones you see at the boat shows hold up? Can they be produced by anyt local sign and banner maker or is there something special about how they are made with regard to water resistance or adherence to fiberglass?

J

Jay Hill

Not a pro, but...

...I just had a stick-on sign made for my boat, Salty Dog. (Pictures available in Photo Forum and Owner's Album.) Not sure if any special type is required, but the sign and homeport lettering cost less than $10. For that price, I can replace it every year. The boat is scrubbed thoroughly no less than once per week, and the letters are holding up fine so far. (Installed Sept. '99) No major temperature changes yet though.

G

Gregory Stebbins

"scrubed no less than ......greez

Thanks for the guilt!!

J

Jay Hill

Please Notice...

...I said THE boat is scrubbed no less than once per week; I did not say *I* scrubbed it no less than once per week. Besides, it's a school boat, and should look spiffy (short for "Ship Shape and Bristol Fashion") for clients, no?

D

Doug B

West Marine

West marine is where we had ours done. They have a section in their catalog in which a very wide selection of vinyl colors are available as well as many stock type styles. It also comes with a "kit" comprised of cleaner, squeege and instructions. Went on easy and has not so much as peeled up a corner since installed regardless of hitting with wax buffer pad or scrub brush. I would highly recommend. Doug

J

Justin Wolfe

Vinyl lettering

Anyone that can do vinyl lettering can make a name for you. A sign shop, West Marine, in popular boating spots there are "marine graphics" people, but they all use vinyl lettering. It holds up as well as the rest of the boat. As well if not better than paint or gelcoat. It's amazing, and until you are faced with doing it yourself you don't know this, but I'd venture to say that 90% of boats named in the last 5 years used vinyl lettering. The rest use paint.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Just Did It.

Put vinyl names on both side quarters on my L40.5 and the port just below the transom step. Most I have seen out here in (rainy, cold) SoCal are done likewise. Also had the club burgee duplicated and put on the transom port side and the club letters on the starboard. About $600 through a sign house that also does marine. Looks good and lots of compliments. My last boat was a combination of vinyl and hand painted. Paint needed every three years. Never on the vinyl that was under the waterline underway. Good Luck

A

Andy Hansom

Boat Graphics

We orderd our vinyl graphics from www.boatgraphics.com. They are very easy to install and look great it took about 30 min for both sides. They used a custom font we supllied with two colors look at Vanishing Point in the photo album Andy Hansom

M

Mike Pajewski

Try a local sign shop

Tom, I had my graphics printed at a local sign shop in Davenport, Iowa. All I had to do was pick out the color vinyls (they had lots) and the type of font. I selected a drop shadow design in the smae red and blue as the stripes on my 26. The dealer deleted the squiggle stripe on my H26 and left room for the name and continued the sheer stripe aft. The guy behind the counter put the picture up on the computer screen, I liked it and he set the plotter in motion and voila, I had my boat's name in 8 inch letters. The cost was less than 20 bucks. Of course my boat is named "Loon." They sell the material by the number of characters, so longer names cost more. Installation takes a few minutes. Make sure the surface is wax free (household ammonia is good) then remove the protective sheet that goes next to the hull, position your graphic and rub it on with a plastic squeegee. (credit card works too) After you've rubbed it on, carefully remove the top layer of transfer paper, and your boat will proudly display her name. I bought the graphics for my first boat at the Strictly Sail show, and paid through the nose. The local sign shop did the name for the second boat much cheaper and there was no waiting and no difference that I can tell. The graphics have been on the boat for three seasons (we now live in Wisconsin) and there has been no cracking, fading or damage. When I changed state registration numbers, I had to take the old ones off, and they were well attached after two years. Mike Pajewski H26 "Loon"

M

Matt Reed

First Choice Signs

There's a company in Charlotte, SC, called First Choice Signs that does mine. They do the graphics design and use email to work w/you for approvals. The final product is vinyl and comes on a peel-away sheet. Cheap and really easy to affix -- takes about 5 minutes. Can't remember the number but area code is 704. Ask for Hugh.

M

Matt Reed

First Choice Sign's Number: 704/566-1921

web: fcsigns@webserve.net

Status
Not open for further replies.