Boat Mocs

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I just bought boat shoes from Sperry, Dockers, and Florsheim. Florsheim are far and away the superior product. Returned the others.

Just sharing my experience.

I used to buy new Sperry mocs every year. Lately I've found them to be the least comfortable shoes I've ever worn. I literally threw away last year's pair. Like walking barefoot on concrete. Dockers seem nice, but the insoles stick to my feet and pull out of the shoes when I take them off. Hate that!

I love the Florsheim. It's the Atlantic Boat Shoe. If you search around you might find them at a very good price. I got one pair for $93 on Amazon, and another on another site on sale for $55. A real bargain.

(I have no affiliation with the shoe manufacturers or retailers.)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Interesting. I’ve given up on Sperry after every pair gets dangerously slippery after 1 season. I was looking for alternatives earlier this year and didn’t find any, but the Florsheim look worth checking out. I wonder how long the soles will last.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I use Birkenstock Milano sandals. They are excellent. Even though all leather, the leather holds up well even getting wet. The Milano does have the heal strap so they are firmly attached to my feet.

dj

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Interesting. I’ve given up on Sperry after every pair gets dangerously slippery after 1 season.
Same here, I haven’t found an alternative yet. Used to be that Sperrys lasted multiple seasons; however, quality has diminished. In years past, you could get them resoled, but no longer. Lack of availability of replacement soles from Sperry & higher labor costs have eliminated that option.
I usually keep watch for sales around Memorial Day or Independence Day for 25-30% discounts to buy a new pair.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I want a boat shoe to last long enough to at least get some paint on it.
Ha! Just finished a bottom job last week. Now have topsiders, that are about 18 months old, that are splattered with paint and will become yard shoes.