Boat Meals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Four Points asked for the recipe to this un-named dish I served him on the leg from Milford to Croton. It’s one of Strider's regular dishes and always gets good reviews. It’s also a simple boat meal.

Have a cup of chicken broth ready. The best I’ve found is the Trader Joe’s kind that comes in a box with packets like fast food ketchup ones. It’s more chicken flavor than salt, unlike the cubes. Use about 3/4 cups of water instead of full cup.

Put salted water on for spaghetti and enough olive oil in a medium size frying pan to cover about three quarters of the bottom.

Chop up two bunches of scallions. Onions can be substituted. Sauté the scallions. When starting to turn tender, add a couple splashes of white cooking wine.
Add about half a package of bagged baby spinach.

Spaghetti water should be ready about now. Thrown in a modest amount for two people.

When spinach is cooked down, add the chicken broth and simmer. Take a couple table spoons of the finer stuff from a package of crumbled feta cheese and throw in.

When spaghetti is done, drain, add to frying pan and stir. Add a good amount of crumbled feta cheese on top.

Serve. It’s better than you would believe for something so simple.

If you have some artichoke or eggplant tapenade or combination of the two, a couple tablespoons thrown in just before the spinach is added will really make people remember this dish. A half pound of bay scallops thrown in with the scallions also works well.

(I'm having the first of may Shrimp Scampi meals tonight. There were nice big domestic shrimp at the Solomons Pier)

Another simple recipe:

Peel shrimp and put in bowl. Put the water on for spaghetti.

Cover the bottom of a frying pan with olive oil and start heating.

Lay out more garlic cloves than you think reasonable and then double the amount. Crush into the oil with a garlic press. (Don’t ruin good shrimp like you get along the coast with garlic from a jar.)

Pour Italian bread crumbs into the bowl of shrimp and toss around.

Put the shrimp one by one into the oil and turn over to coat. Cook turning a couple times. Sprinkle a little bread crumbs from the bowl on top.

If you have a broiler, you can skip the turning and just put frying pan under broiler after shrimp are about half cooked.

When shrimp and spaghetti are cooked, drain spaghetti and put into frying pan. Stir and serve with parmesan cheese.

You wouldn't believe what this tastes like with shrimp a couple hours off the boat.

Later:

Hey, everyone on Facebook is doing it (I mean, reallly....) so

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Roger: My wife is an accomplished cook and enjoyed your recipes! Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.