Boat History

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
I am getting a 1979 S2 11A, and I am curious as to the title history. Is there a way to search boat history? Love to hear how it wound up in CA. The boat is documented, but the hull name does not match the Certificate. Maybe I don't want to know.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Congratulations on the new sailboat!!

Easy........since the boat is USCG documented, request an abstract of title from the USCG Abstract of Title | US Vessel Documentation | Maritime Documentation. It will show you the past owners, boat name, hailing port and boat value. That is what I did on an older boat purchase. If the hull name does not match the USCG document the previous owner did not remove the old name and put the new one on the hull as legally required. Bought several boats and changed the name and hailing port hull markings to match the Running Letter in advance of the USCG document at the time I took possession.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on the new to you boat.
Many love their S2 boats. They are fast and fun to sail.

Names can be changed easily. Recording the name change sometimes is one of those things that gets ignored in the excitement. One of the values from documentation is the record of title. It is based on the boat's HIN and CG vessel identification number (required to be permanently attached/inscribed on the boat). You should be able to get a history of the boat names and locations the boat was registered in the CG records.

The CG will encourage you to verify and record the boat's name and location of record.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
+1 on using the documentation number to discover history as recommended by Sail SFBay above. When I bought my last boat there was a mistake in the Hull ID number on the then current Connecticut state registration. When I went to re-register the boat in Massachusetts the defective hull number was pointed out and the registration was refused. The hull number could not be read but I discovered an old documentation plaque. I inquired about that with the coast guard as suggested above and received the documents with the correct hull id number.

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
Thanks for the suggestions, I sent in a request for an Abstract of Title last week, Thursday, and received a reply this morning. I got history back to 1999 when vessel was Documented. There were three seperate loans against the title, all Paid and Released (Whew). So title is clear, however last owners changed name as painted on the side of the boat just below the gunwale. So that it something that I have to decide at some time. Another project done, again Thanks to All. Hal

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
........... So title is clear, however last owners changed name ........
Glad to hear.......the abstract of title for a 1984 boat I purchased in late 2020 showed a large number owners and many different bpat names and hailing ports..........quite a history.