Boat fire, Vancouver

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wow. Took awhile for the first responders to set up. Wonder what the dude watching the fire was doing? Guess the outside tie might be a bit far away from the fire suppression resources.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Reports by witnesses had one guy with a fire extinguisher trying to put it out before first responders arrived. The explosion that preceded the fire was heard by people in the condos across the harbor. The fire boats were hesitant to use water on the core of the fire for fear of sinking the boat. That one sounds crazy to me. I know I'm missing something but wouldn't sinking the boat put the fire out and reduce risk to surrounding boats?
Lightning was in the area, no one on board, no collateral damage, lucky.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
Looked like the Whaler in the next to slip was feeling the heat. Looked to be smoking right before they started putting water on the fire.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Yeah, John, I noticed that also. What I found weird was the lack of fire equipment on the dock. Maybe they had it but it wasn't working? I don't know. I too wondered where the fire boat was. Maybe not all marinas do not have a fire boat. I don't think Oceanside Marina has one. Then there was the brown stuff. There were some really nice sailboats there. Glad the fire was contained to only one boat.

Oct 22, 2014
Follow up might show scorching on the 3 boats nearby. Unsure what the brown stuf in the water. Perhaps chemicals from the burning boat. Maybe they were using something more than water.

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
20 minutes of video and the fire was still burning, fuel and plastic is a nasty combo. What a mess, they should have cut it loose and sank it.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Unsure what the brown stuf in the water. Perhaps chemicals from the burning boat.
The fireman at the end of the finger dock directly South of the bow of the burning boat, if the top of the screen were North, has that brown stuff coming out of his hose. The streaks of the stuff lead to the other fireman to his left also. Even though the spray coming out of his hose looks like water, I think they have a fire suppressant mixed in.
Are those two black objects floating away to port, then around of the bow, dock bumpers? They were smoking in the beginning.
There was lightning in the area but the boom of the boats explosion was not described as thunder, could have been, but I'm thinking new battery technology or meth lab.
-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I know I'm missing something but wouldn't sinking the boat put the fire out and reduce risk to surrounding boats?
It would, but oil,any remaining fuel and materials on the boat that release toxic gasses when burned would likely cause environmental damage that could easily cost more to clean up than the collective value of the surrounding boats.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Brown stuff looked like a fire suppressant to me. You can see it coming out of the hoses at various points. Boy, that was some fire.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
So why didn't anyone move the whaler?
See other marina fires first thing done is move boats???

Oct 22, 2014
CY that is an unanswered question. No info found in google searches of the event yesterday.

Anyone up in Vancouver able to enlighten us folk starving for boat knowledge? Eh?