Boat Dreamin’

Jun 16, 2019
Catalina 22 Kenosha
I just sold my Catalina 22 that I’ve sailed and maintained for many years.I’d like to move up to a 27-30’ Catalina.How important is it to get a marine survey on a used boat in this range.Also, how easy/difficult is it to single hand a Catalina 30?Thank You!

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Your homeowners insurance automatically includes your boat at no extra cost and no survey is required. The game changes above 26 feet. You need survey for a separate boat insurance.
Single handing can be done easily on boats of 55 feet as long as it is setup for single handing. That requires all running rigging to be available at the cockpit. I single handy C36 everywhere and I have been in 42 knot wind and 8 ft waves.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
How important is it to get a marine survey on a used boat in this range.
I would not buy a boat that size without a survey, if for no other reason that your insurance company might require it; but a good surveyor can keep you out of a lot of expensive trouble.
how easy/difficult is it to single hand a Catalina 30?
Easy. I single-handed my Catalina 36 several times, no prob. Just rig jack lines and clip on, you don't want to wave goodbye to the boat if you fall off. An autopilot is a big help for when you're setting sails but not totally necessary. Just move about the boat slowly and deliberately, and don't panic.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Any boat can be single handed if setup correctly. Catalinas are typically setup well for short handing. I have single handed many.

I always get a third-party opinion on a boat. That may be a survey or a knowledgeable friend. It's easy to fall for a boat and overlook flaws.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Single handing a 30-ft Catalina should not be difficult if you’re set up for it as folks have said. Ultimately, it may depend on what kind of sailing you will do as to how “successful” you are at it. But, I imagine that you have single-handed the Cat-22 so know the basics such as hoisting & reefing the mainsail and tacking and trimming the headsail, w/o benefit of an autopilot (when self-tailing winches are very helpful). On the survey question, I’d get one now b/c it’s likely now or later in any event. For boats more than 20 yr old many insurance companies require it. Some marinas require a recent one for boats over 20 yr old b/f giving you a slip. Then, there is the benefit of knowing more about what you will be buying, etc.

Last edited: