Boat delivery from New England to Virginia

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Thanks for the advice.
I'm mostly familiar with the lower Chesapeake below Deltaville and Hampton Rhoads. The new Boat has autopilot a C80 chart plotter and radar. No AIS. I have AIS and an Axiom display on my current boat (for sale), and I love it. I'd like to add AIS but my dealer said to upgrade to AIS and an Axiom display I'd have to also upgrade to digital radar. So I'll stick with what the boat has now for the time being.
I was thinking about renting a life raft. I will install an EBIRB.

See page 181 -- I believe you can connect an AIS unit.

I'd recommend a CLASS B AIS (it makes a big difference when they can see you too). You can get an automatic spliter for your VHF antenna, you don't need a separate antenna for the AIS (unless you go with a Type A, which you'll not do).

As Kings Gambit points out, I'd sail around Newport for a bit, get used to the boat and gear before I headed on out and south. Block Island, is worth a trip. Newport itself is a lot fun -- but if it's early in the Spring, a lot of places might not be open yet.

How early in the Spring?

Steve

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I would like to mention one thing that is pretty important. Aside from weather that might cause wind and waves, the water temperature is very important to your comfort on deck. The colder the water temp the more miserable sitting in the cockpit at night can be. I don't mind the fall trip south but trips early in the spring are horrible. Make sure you have layers to keep you warm and foul weather outers to keep you dry.
I would also suggest more than one of each. It really helps.
You should put a good line cutter on your prop shaft, in case you do run into a crab pot you shouldn't need to go swimming to get clear.

Jul 6, 2017
Hunter H 41DS Hampton, VA
That is the plan. To get used to the boat first. The trip will likely be at the end of May. So not too early. I'll look into the AIS unit. Thanks.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
You can get an automatic spliter for your VHF antenna, you don't need a separate antenna for the AIS (unless you go with a Type A, which you'll not do).
Sorry for the thread drift, but splitters cause significant signal loss which might be an issue when you need VHF range. There are splitters that don’t cause loss (or have less loss, or Vesper has some gain) but they are an added failure point, more expensive, and add to continuous (idle) power draw when your electronics are on. IMHO a cheaper and better approach is to use a separate second antenna for AIS which is mounted on the taffrail. It could also be put to use as a spare VHF antenna so it adds redundancy and testing options. I don’t think the lower height of your own AIS antenna would be an issue, as Class B AIS is short range anyway, and consider that bigger ships have their own height so the signal will be line of sight.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Sorry for the thread drift, but splitters cause significant signal loss which might be an issue when you need VHF range. There are splitters that don’t cause loss (or have less loss, or Vesper has some gain) but they are an added failure point, more expensive, and add to continuous (idle) power draw when your electronics are on. IMHO a cheaper and better approach is to use a separate second antenna for AIS which is mounted on the taffrail. It could also be put to use as a spare VHF antenna so it adds redundancy and testing options. I don’t think the lower height of your own AIS antenna would be an issue, as Class B AIS is short range anyway, and consider that bigger ships have their own height so the signal will be line of sight.

Absent some malfunction, I believe the Class B's range is a function principally of it's height above the water (and the height of the receiving antenna). I've routinely had 20 nm contacts bi-directional contacts with our AIS with ships. They should be considered "line-of-sight" anyway. Having them at the masthead -- or at least a higher spreader would be very important to me. Having one low really compromises your SAR benefits.

As for reliability, I've had splitters on my VHF antennas for over four decades (VHF/FM, for over four decades, and AIS, for over two). I've never had a failure.

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
I have a hunter 41 and lived in CT but would winter the boat in Md, and last trip was to deliver it to Charleston. It is a straight forward and fun trip with bad weather bail out options. The Boat is capable and really comes down to the captain and crews ability and some good planning. I would do it with buddy or two so you can do the last leg overnight in the ocean. IMHO I would do Block Island then inside the Long Island Sound which if you want to get some night sailing in the sound is a good place to practice. Just watch out for those pesky lobster pots. ( lots of stop offs to pick from , hold up in port Washington for the best East river tide and a good 60 hour weather window. Block to Port Washington is about 15 - 20 hours of sailing ⛵ also Free Moorings at port Washington. Down the East river out NY harbor (why not get some sight seeing in and learn the boat) then 5 to 10 miles off shore to keep the southern currents in your favor and sail the 50 or so hours to Va. many duck-in points or if you want to chunk up the trip along the way ( Barneget NJ, Atlantic City NJ, Cape May NJ, Chincoteague inlet....) you get the point. Other option is a Block Island to VA outside, little over two days if you keep a straight line to Va. The down side is you will be 30 to 60 miles off shore and if You have any issues your much further from any help. Happy holidays
Excited for you, this trip was always the highlight of my Season

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Forgot to add did not talk about going up the Delaware through the Chesapeake & Delaware canal down the Chesapeake bay because your adding a lot of additional tide planing, 250 + miles and days to your trip. It is a great trip but the lower end of the Delaware and the Chesapeake can be as rough and challenging as the ocean so unless you have all the time in the world I would weather plan well and do the nearshore run. May is a great time for the trip and if you plan right you will have a run to Norfolk with following seas.

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Those are two inlets I wouldn't describe as "duck-in" points.
Understand your point Barneget is considered one of the more dangerous inlets on the east cost but I guess what I was trying to saying is for this portion of the trip if you find you have some mechanical issues Sea tow can come out and get you or if conditions permit you have a place to limp into. Also barneget is not as hard as people make it out to be, it is dangerous in fog and when seas are barreling down the inlet causing you to surf in. Key is use common sense , keep close to the northern jetty and away from the shoaling. Happy to provide a gpx file to follow. Also drop a track line so you have a tested course out. On the skill level I would rate it higher then Cape May and AC inlets but with the wrong condition Cap May can be challenging as well.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Interesting thread. I generally don’t trust the idea of a taking a boat, new to an owner, on a long, potentially complicated, trip on what might be a time schedule w/o some prelims. So, I hope a few day’s worth are figured in b/f departing RI!! Intriguing alternative suggestions re: mostly running the NJ and Delmarva peninsula coasts outside, versus winding through the various combinations of canals, rivers, and protected waters inside. The LIS/East River and Delaware Bay legs of that latter route appear tedious to me. Atlantic City & Cape May/Lewes stops, with a final push outside along the peninsula sound fun with opportunity to work the new boat, etc.:). Have fun planning.
Agree with idea that taking a newly purchased boat that you’re unfamiliar with could become more exciting than desirable. Going outside of Long Island could also switch from extreme tedium (one long, long, beach, with no breaks big enough to duck into or much topographical interest) to very exciting and dangerous if it turns into a lee shore. Long Island Sound would provide plenty of stopping points if any were needed. Even having to possibly power through Hell Gate and the East River would be interesting. With the current, NYC goes by too fast to be tedious.

Dec 21, 2019
Hunter 34 My boat is moored at Colorado
Beware of the outgoing current and wind from the east. The bay has the shape of a funnel, because the bay narrows, and the waves are quite frequent. Good luck!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Took out an old chart of the Approaches to New York. I stepped it to be about 160 n.mi. Block Island to Atlantic City. But, one can't help notice that the outside route takes you near, potentially through, three major traffic schemes:yikes:. That means crossing altogether up to six lanes, or their respective seaward projections, depending on your course. The route via the East River avoids all of that; then eventually spits you out near Sandy Hook Bay, NJ where I imagine one might anchor the night.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Last time I ran Cape May to Block I saw one ship. There were several fishing trawlers about half way. The ships dont want the headache of running down a yacht but the fishing trawlers dont seem to care! Up and down the coast I've found the fishing boats to much more of a pain than shipping.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
From Newport to the mouth of the Delaware Bay, it’s a little less than 275 nm. The “corner” at Block Island is a little over 25 nm from Newport Harbor. From there it’s a straight shot to the main channel up Delaware Bay.

the first set of shipping separation lanes are a little less than 1/3 of the way to Delaware Bay. Those are the generally the busiest: and are separated by a number of miles: the Ambrose to Nantucket lanes. The ships along these lanes, first heading west into NY Harbor, and then heading east for Europe and Canada. If you are motoring, it’s usually not an issue, you just have to watch how you “cut through the line”. If you are sailing, you have to be mindful of the traffic.

the other two shipping lanes less defined where you cross them. The shipping is headed to the start of the separation zones. The “start” of the zones are usually to the wet and north of you. Depending on the traffic, I’ve seen almost no traffic to four or five ships/cruise liners heading in- and out-

Since our intrepid passage maker with the new bigger boat hauls fro the Norfolk/Hampton Roads area, which is a very active area with the home of the Atlantic Fleet and the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay & Norfolk Harbor, the little traffic along the route is pretty routine.

The Delaware Bay has ALWAYS featured ship and barge traffic which is going with the tide. You just watch your “6” and stay on the edge of the channel, it’s actually fun. (There is not much else that’s fun about Delaware Bay, except occasional schools of Porpoises ;^))).

If you are concerned with some ship traffic, don’t go through New York Harbor or the Verizanos Narrows Bridge. ;^))). It is fun, but it’s not what I’d call relaxing.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
, I believe the Class B's range is a function principally of it's height above the water (and the height of the receiving antenna). I've routinely had 20 nm contacts bi-directional contacts with our AIS with ships.
Class B transmits at 2W, Class A at 12W. Expected max range of class B is about 10 nm regardless of antenna height. I’m not surprised if you routinely receive ships 20nm out, but would be surprised if they could routinely receive your signal.
PS I have had a splitter fail on two separate occasions on different boats. Yes they are generally reliable.

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Beg to differ - those big guys do run down the little guys --- and keep going. My son was working a 45' trawler that ended up in two pieces. On the plus side, the crew was unhurt (physically - not counting 12 mos PTSD) and got a helicopter ride out of it.
Fog was an issue in the incident, and will be at the end of May. Don't expect them to be looking for you and don't expect them to stay in the shipping channels. YOU are the only one looking out for you!
I've done the East River. If you're on the helm, you will NOT have time for sightseeing - you'll be travelling faster than you're used to traveling (by sailboat) and will be watching ATNs and traffic. You'll be lucky if you even notice the UN building!
Personally, I'd plan on RI to Cape May then up the Delaware to the C&D. Whether to stop in Cape May depends on your mast height and whether you want to. Once through the canal, pick an estuary on the E side and rest up for the trip down the bay. Take a crew you enjoy being with.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2009
Hunter Deck Salon Seabrook TX
We have a Hunter 44DS and recently made the trip from Houston to Hampton; loved it! We wish to take her North this Spring/Summer and love to hear more on how your trip goes. We are at Hampton Yacht Club. Where will you be keeping your boat in Hampton? joyce.wagner@verizon.net

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
34729990-A155-4EFC-B7A1-78132F9E47CD.jpeg

Stay out on the edge of the channel and you will get to see the UN and the Grand old lady. The high speed Shuttle’s are what you need to keep a look out for but if you hail them they will work with you.

Will_S

Feb 4, 2019
Beneteau 350 Newburyport
Nice trip if in fair weather. I grew up on Barnegat Bay, so number 9's advise looks right to me. Manasquan's approach is right on, inside the inlet is the train bridge which can be tough during a strong current, then the Point Pleasant Canal out into Barnegat Bay down past Long Beach Island to AC, where you have to go outside again. The route is dotted with marina's and easy anchorage. Going from Boston you will take 2 days to have time to shake out the boat before cutting across to round Long Island assuming you stop at night. Onset or Marion harbors after the Cape Cod Canal are great places to pick up a mooring.