Boat Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rholley

I'm looking around for recommendations on a boat cover for a Hunter 170. Thought I'd do a little research before rushing out and buying. thanks in advance

J

john12527

I rushed out

I bought a typical dark blue tarp cover for mine. Then I talked to a guy from Hunter Composites. He strongly believes that most cracks in the ACP hulls are caused by covering the boat with a dark cover. The theory is that the sun bakes down on the tarp, the temp shoots up pretty quickly and the temp difference between the covered portion and the uncoverd portion is more than the plastic can handle. He recommended light color, or ventalation, or both; or not covering the boat if that is an option for you. Hope this information helps, John Kivel

Jun 16, 2004
- - -
tarp

I had a tarp made by an awning shop a couple of years ago....very light tan in color. They would have also made a fitted color for me, but the tarp works fine. by all means do NOT get a dark tarp (your instruction manual should verify this). My boat has developed several small cracks over the winter even with the light tarp. Straightforward to repair, but why increase your chances by adding a dark tarp?

R

rholley

Interesting

Thanks for the quick replies. And very interesting. I was actually looking at the standard dark blue tarps at a local boat shop before I decided to post. The boat is currently in my garage and I'm forced to move it to outside storage. I am assuming that the "not covering" option includes inside or under shed type storage as opposed to simply putting the boat outside without any cover at all?

ChuckF

May 4, 2004
- - MA
Silver tarp

I use a silver tarp. These are typically heavier guage than the blue and will reflect more of the solar energy. Harbor Freight Tools is much cheaper than any boating stores for tarps, plus they have all sizes and types. Chuck Watery Tart

B

Bustoff

what size?

What size tarp did you figure out was right for the H170? I'd guess the 15 x 19 would cover the boat without the mast. Do you try to cover the trailer too?

Mar 23, 2004
- - Paradise, CA
Wally_Mart

I have both my Hunter 216 and my Geary 18 covered with a silver boat cover from Wal-Mart. Works great and is inexpensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.