Boat Capacity Limits

Jun 22, 2015
Catalina 27 Dickinson
Is there a maximum capacity for my 1981 Catalina 27? Weight or number of persons? I know number of life jackets also becomes a max. 1st time user. Sorry if incorrect format or location.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I think it depends on what you are doing, day sailing around vs over nighting, vs is what is comfortable. My 25 seems comfortable for 4 on our day sails, but I've had 6-7 a few times now. Honestly I like my size with just 2-3 people as a perfect crew size, 4-5 work fine if people like being in the cabin or the rails and are able to tolerate tacking and jibbing without getting in the way. I looked at a very nice Cat 27 this year but to me the cockpit wasn't significantly bigger which is one area I'd like to improve if I upgrade from my 25 if that helps. I doubt I could camp comfortably in the cabin with more then 3, my son says he would sleep in a hammock topside since he is a Boy Scout.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I don't think there is a technical answer to that question. The boat is not required to have a capacity plate. The old rule of thumb (Length x beam)/15 (or 18) doesn't seem to be in favor anymore. It seems to be more of a common sense type answer. Don't carry any more than is comfortable. A 27' Catalina would be very difficult to sail with 6, don't you think? 6 certainly don't fit in the cockpit. Think about comfort first, then don't go above that. I'd opine that for a motoring excursion in relatively calm water, no more than 6 to 8, depending upon adults vs children.
I think it is up to you to form your own opinion.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Gee, has it been a month since this question was asked the last time? Would someone who owns a C 27 please look at any manufacturers plate in the cockpit and give the OP an educated answer.
Boats over 20 feet do not have to have a capacity plate: http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/content/general/3_7.htm

The number of people who can sail on a boat is up to the skipper/owner. Take into consideration cockpit size, people size, skill levels and agility.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
According to the formula in the link, I can have 18 people onboard on my S27!!! (27x10)/15 =18 According to the manufacturer's plate (CE Cat B) on the boat, maximum 6 people onboard. I'll stick to the manufacturer's plate capacity.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Nope, the Captain of the boat determines capacity according to conditions, the nature of the outing and how many people he feels confident to be able to manage. USCG regulations do not require boats in excess of 20' to have capacity plates. Some manufacturers do put plates in larger boats but are not required to do so by regulation. Cockpit size has nothing to do with it as you can legally have people sitting or standing on the cabin top or deck area as long as the Captain deems it is safe. Have had 15 people in a 32' boat in a Champaign Cruise, navigated 200 yds. from the dock and dropped anchor in a protected Bay.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
According to the formula in the link, I can have 18 people onboard on my S27!!! (27x10)/15 =18 According to the manufacturer's plate (CE Cat B) on the boat, maximum 6 people onboard. I'll stick to the manufacturer's plate capacity.
US boats aren't required to have a manufacturer's plate or a CE Category. And yes, 18 people on a 27 foot boat is a lot, unless the boat is tied to dock and everyone is watching fireworks.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
I am not trying to start a fiery debate, but that information (no requirement for capacity label) could indicate the vessel has not gone through any sort of real life testing about the safety and righting forces based on occupancy? Has this changed for new(er) boats sold in US? Just curious.

Jan 11, 2014
I am not trying to start a fiery debate, but that information (no requirement for capacity label) could indicate the vessel has not gone through any sort of real life testing about the safety and righting forces based on occupancy? Has this changed for new(er) boats sold in US? Just curious.
Monohull motor boats 20' and under have a rigorous test, basically the boat must float above the gunwales when flooded. There are also capacity plates listing the maximum number of people on board, the maximum weight, and the maximum horsepower. There are also a bunch of USCG regulations that must be followed depending on the use of the boat.

However, unlike the EU where there are CE certifications for different uses, there is no similar certification for boat builders. There are voluntary standards from the ABYC, but no enforcement. If the boat is used for commercial purposes, in particular carrying more than 6 passengers, there are many regulations for certification, but very few for recreational boats.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I think a good rule of thumb on this would be not to carry any more people than can be comfortably seated in the cockpit of a sailboat. You certainly don't want to force folks to crowd below on a nice day and folks sitting on the cabin top or deck forward could be endangered by flogging sheets when tacking. Of course, a center cockpit boat could accommodate folks safely on the aft deck or cabin top, but I'd still want to limit the number to those you could sit comfortably in the cockpit if I was out sailing in anything but the lightest breeze.
I've run sailboats professionally that were licensed for 49 passengers and 3 crew, and even though there were seats for all on deck, there were numerous times when the passenger were standing about (all booms were well above head height) I just couldn't see a damn thing and the primary job of the crew became lookouts for me.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
I've had up to 5 in my Cal 2-27. well, 3 adults and to half-people (grandsons).
Tiller gets in the way of more people in the cockpit. When people ask me how many will it sleep the answer is 2.
I've gotten to the point where my preferred crew complement is 1, just me.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The size of the cockpit does not have a legal bearing but it does influence the number of people we take aboard our boats. We want most of our guests to be able to sit in the cockpit and we hate to be cramped. As most sailboats have relative small cockpits we hardly see more than six people even on the larger boats. It is the open bow motor boats that we see frequently crowded. Usually they are going somewhere but when we sailors get on the boat we are already there; we will spend hours on board and don't want to be uncomfortable.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Also depending on how many are going to actually SAIL. We've had 8 on BlueJ, everyone actively sailing and it was comfortable, fast, and a great time. 6 is the limit if only Jodi and I are 'sailing' and probably one guy wanting to 'help'

Oct 26, 2008
Gee, has it been a month since this question was asked the last time? Would someone who owns a C 27 please look at any manufacturers plate in the cockpit and give the OP an educated answer.
Good luck finding that! How does your foot taste? :poke:

Oct 26, 2008
Also depending on how many are going to actually SAIL. We've had 8 on BlueJ, everyone actively sailing and it was comfortable, fast, and a great time. 6 is the limit if only Jodi and I are 'sailing' and probably one guy wanting to 'help'
I'm always amazed when I see 5 or 6 people racing a relatively small boat, but it does make sense. When everybody has a designated role and sitting on the rail keeps a boat flat, racing a boat with a seemingly large crew works because everybody has a place to occupy and a role that prevents bodies from being in the way. When I'm sailing with 4 people total in the cockpit, 2 are sitting in a seat not knowing what to do, and Sue, whom doesn't stop talking long enough for me to actually be a captain :doh:, there are 3 people that make it much more difficult to actually sail the boat! That's when I just roll out the genoa and sail with the wind (and then motor back).

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
We once had 20 people (going for the record...) on our former Ranger 20, for a fun happy hour. :)
We were tied up in a huge raft-up at the time... Some alcohol might have been involved....

I have sailed our 34 footer with six and it worked out fine; usually one or two want to sit on the housetop anyway. No one was in the cabin.

None of these craft were required to have a "capacity plate", as others here have noted.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Give Ron a break, his boat has a passenger capacity plate on it. Many boats do have a requirement for a capacity plate to meet their intended use.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
For modern CE occupancy requirements, there is no correlation between RM and passenger count. They do factor the crew weight into the overall integrity equation, but only to factor in more freeboard requirement as you move from C to B to A. That why the pass rating goes DOWN as the category goes UP.

Jan 11, 2014
For those of you who might interested in pursuing this topic more deeply, the USCG has obliged. Here's a link to the USCG's Boat Builder's Handbook, the sections that describe (in great detail) the calculation of the safe loading capacity and display of the capacity plate. I particularly draw your attention to page 22 which gets to the meat of the issue. https://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/assets/builders-handbook/SAFELOADING.pdf

My very quick read of this document suggests that 1) boat builders have some latitude in how they display and calculate safe loads, 2) safe loads are calculated based on total weight carrying capacity of the boat. Thus, some capacity plates list the weight and people number where the weight includes the weight of the people. The load capacity is based on the amount weight that can be carried before the boat reaches a predetermined level.

A plate may say 6 persons or 1200 lbs or 1200 lbs persons and gear. So, if 5 200 lb guys get on board, there is only 200 lbs of capacity left for beer and food. At 8 lbs a gallon for beer, that is 25 gallons of beer, or about 5 gallons per person. If the guys are out fishing the beer must be consumed at rate greater than the rate at which fish are being caught, for example, for every 25 lb salmon that is caught a gallon of beer must have been consumed and subsequently placed overboard in order to keep the boat within its rated capacity.

Perhaps I should stop reading these technical papers.........