Boat Babe on Strike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
Glad to see you made it back to CCYH. How long was the return trip and where did you head north?

Jul 30, 2004
- - st. augustine, fl
And home again!

Glad to see you made it back to CCYH. How long was the return trip and where did you head north?
Always good to be home! We departed from Great Harbor Cay at 10:00AM Thursday and tied the dock lines in St. Augustine at 4:00AM Sunday. We chose to go straight through… which was a mixed result. The Gulf Stream was extremely rough… 15-20 out of the North made for 6-8' chop & slop… not a lot of fun. The boat handled it pretty well, except for one rogue wave that we fell off of onto our port side. Autopilot was ineffective, too.

We rode it all the way to Ponce Inlet before turning out of it… when we exited the Stream, it was like crossing a boundary line, and the seas were immediately calmer. We had a great sail from Ponce almost all the way to the SA inlet where we timed it just right to catch an outgoing lunar tide… for those who have never experienced a lunar tide in St. Aug, the outgoing rush of water is at 5+kts, so we were only able to make about 1kt into the main channel… we spend an hour almost at standstill as we pushed our way in…

Our choice to tackle the Stream was for one reason… our schedule. In retrospect, we will not make a decision like that again based on time constraints. We'll head in at Ft. Pierce and 'hopscotch' it back home.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
Always good to be home! We departed from Great Harbor Cay at 10:00AM Thursday and arrived Tied the dock lines in St. Augustine at 4:00AM Sunday. We chose to go straight through… which was a mixed result. The Gulf Stream was extremely rough… 15-20 out of the North made for 6-8' chop & slop… not a lot of fun. The boat handled it pretty well, except for one rogue wave that we fell off of onto our port side. Autopilot was ineffective, too. We rode it all the way to Ponce Inlet before turning out of it… when we exited the Stream, it was like crossing a boundary line, and the seas were immediately calmer. We had a great sail from Ponce almost all the way to the SA inlet where we timed it just right to catch an outgoing lunar tide… for those who have never experienced a lunar tide in St. Aug, the outgoing rush of water is at 5+kts, so we were only able to make about 1kt into the main channel… we spend an hour almost at standstill as we pushed our way in… Our choice to tackle the Stream was for one reason… our schedule. In retrospect, we will not make a decision like that again based on time constraints. We'll head in at Ft. Pierce and 'hopscotch' it back home.
Thanks. I am planing on making the same trip in November. Sounds exciting coming back. Two years ago I made it to West Palm but did not get a weather window as wind was out of north and did not make the crossing. Swim up Tiki bar on H dock is going next week.

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Hunter 36_ 80-82 Kemah, Texas
Thanks for the pics. Boat Babe looks especially good in the Bahamas.

Ralph

DJW

Oct 6, 2004
Cascade- Cascade 42 Pearl Harbor, HI
Ralph

I would have to say that the Boat Babe just looks especially good and leave it at that.

Dennis

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Thanks for the pics. Boat Babe looks especially good in the Bahamas.

Ralph
as in the words of Tina Turner ....what has the Bahamas got to do with it .......oh wait that was something else

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Ralph

I would have to say that the Boat Babe just looks especially good and leave it at that.

Dennis
Yeah, you're right. I just thought the Babe had that glow. They say "it's better in the Bahamas". Anyway, after all the work put into Empty Pocket, it's great to see Steph and Brian enjoying her.

Ralph

Jul 30, 2004
- - st. augustine, fl
Thanks, Ralph!!

Yeah, you're right. I just thought the Babe had that glow. They say "it's better in the Bahamas". Anyway, after all the work put into Empty Pocket, it's great to see Steph and Brian enjoying her.

Ralph
Yes, the refit was terrific, but it was also completed TWO YEARS ago, so it was definitely long overdue that we get out there on EP.

It was extremely gratifying to finally taste the success of all of the design and effort.

Attachments

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Thanks for the updates, Brian. Both of your girls a looking great.

Ralph

Jun 2, 2004
Beneteau 393 Lake Texoma, Texas
Regrettably, looks like this global warming thing has created a serious shortage in boat babes. Guess Al Gore seriously underestimated the impact of global warming.

Jul 30, 2004
- - st. augustine, fl
Good GRIEF, man...

That woman needs a TAN… seriously!
:eek::eek::eek:

I was trying to post some TAN Boat Babe photos, but apparently there's server issues… apparently I'll have to try those again tomorrow… :confused:

DJW

Oct 6, 2004
Cascade- Cascade 42 Pearl Harbor, HI
Brain you slacker. Waiting until the morning really!

Dennis

Jul 30, 2004
- - st. augustine, fl
Lest we forget...

Brain you slacker. Waiting until the morning really!

Dennis
That problem is what STARTED this thread… :stirthepot: We should all be thankful for technical problems! :pix:

…and I am STILL having issues… :cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing:

Status
Not open for further replies.