Boat adrift in The Gilf of Mexico

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Sad to see.. The weather has been pretty rough over the past week or so.. Probably an un-intentional overboard..

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The top companionway board is out. The skipper is dead somewhere, either down below, or in the sea.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well someone is on board... That is the way the movie "Clear and Present Danger" began.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Looks like a well set up boat..
Reminds me of an incident a few years ago .. As I neared the Rigolets to get out to the Gulf of Mexico, I heard a nearby boat call in to the sheriff's office (they do rescue) about a sailboat motoring slowly in a circle with no one visible and not responding to radio.. We watched the boat doing its lazy circles and when the sheriff got there, he radioed back that all was OK.. The guy was passed out drunk on the cockpit floor.. OOPS..

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
From my sources on the Sabre listserve:

The boat hails out of St Joseph, MO and is owned by Jerry Walker. She is a 1977 S34 named My Time and was previously named Maxwelton preceded by Good Karma, preceded by Quietly.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
WOW... I just realized why there is such confusion about this boat. First it was empty then it was occupied and all was well.

It happened in the GILF of MEXICO.

That pretty much explains it.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
He was probably asleep when the boat was first spotted.
The boat may have been under sail by the looks of the small jib and sheets set. AP sailing downwind, hatch boards in, slide closed overhead, cowl vent aimed into the wind, captain sleeping below after a rough stretch of water.

Looks pretty tidy on deck except for the grill hanging off the stern but a Magma is a permanent fixture on many boats.

Are those self rescue loops at the stern ladder (to break it free) and starboard rail? This could be a cruising rock star on a typical day. :)