Boarding step build

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
How much would you charge us for one?
LOL More than anyone would be willing to pay! When I asked about budget for the project we decided it didn't matter, we even looked at teak. Insanely expensive. So much of it is custom with the size and angle of the hull.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh @VisionPNW you are thinking so literally. Perhaps you might consider that @capta sails in a beautiful part of the world. It has warm gentle breezes... And a beautiful step, custom made as you have identified would be worth a passage aboard with Capta to discuss the especially pleasing experiences of stepping aboard his vessel. Perhaps event the vessel's name could be carved in the step. making the value priceless... Like a passage aboard his vessel...

Just thinking outside of the box here....

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
LOL More than anyone would be willing to pay! When I asked about budget for the project we decided it didn't matter, we even looked at teak. Insanely expensive. So much of it is custom with the size and angle of the hull.
This is a great opportunity for your students. Modify the design to make it adjustable and then set up a production line to make them. Lots of practical learning here. :)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Oh @VisionPNW you are thinking so literally. Perhaps you might consider that @capta sails in a beautiful part of the world. It has warm gentle breezes... And a beautiful step, custom made as you have identified would be worth a passage aboard with Capta to discuss the especially pleasing experiences of stepping aboard his vessel. Perhaps event the vessel's name could be carved in the step. making the value priceless... Like a passage aboard his vessel...

Just thinking outside of the box here....
Build it for free, just charge for personalized shipping and on site fine tuning. :biggrin:

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Leather! I'll have to try that on the feet of my steps.
I went with rough sawn teak. Gives good grip. Just not as beautiful as yours. Nicely done

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I purchased a Hunter 466 this spring and it came with a dilapidated rigid step that was made of plywood, was difficult to switch sides when needed, flaked paint off everywhere, and was nearly impossible to stow. After seeing Rich Stidger's step that he made a while back, I went to work and came up with a design that the admiral was happy with. I thought it would be straightforward to make... It wasn't. We designed it based off the design of the other steps inside the boat. The parts that touch the boat were covered with leather left over from the hide we bought for covering our steering wheel. Worked out the angles, put it all together, applied a spar varnish to it, and it didn't work! The toerail on the 466 extends out and pushed it out too far from the hull and it hung free and unstable until you put weight on it. After scratching my head for a while, a neighbor suggested suction cups. I THEN made a plywood mock up to make sure it would work. I recessed them into the back and they worked perfectly! Super stable, easy to bring in and switch sides (made some dynema soft shackles). This was a really fun project that took far longer than I thought, but hey, all projects take longer than my optimistic estimates. We went with 5/4 sapelle mahogany for the wood, contact cement to adhere the leather, "TreadTex" in the varnish for grip.

View attachment 186666

View attachment 186667

View attachment 186668
@VisionPWN can you tell me where you got the suction cups?

Building one of these for my boat has gotten much higher on the priorities. After a year of trying diligently to remember to pick up my boarding step every time I leave the boat I climbed off with a large arm full of cushions and forgot to pick it up. My slip invoice had a 1-hour ($80) charge assessed to this month's moorage. There are still dozens of live-aboard boats this steps along with several non-live aboard boats but that does not seem to matter.:cuss:

Apr 5, 2009
Hayden, what does your written moorage agreement say?
"2. Storage of anything on piers or floats is prohibited, except in Marina approved dock boxes. Items or materials stored on the floats or piers may be impounded at the owner’s risk and expense. Example of prohibited items include but are not limited to garden hoses, hose reels, stairs, door mats, etc. "
There is nothing about "unless" or "discretion" or anything like that. My position is that if I get fined, every other boat in the marina that has a stair should also get fined. If some are allowed than they have no right to fine me.

Apr 5, 2009
I fully sympathized with the need to regulate the use of steps because I have seen some dock steps that were a total disaster of rotten plywood construction with peeling paint all over the dock. The problem comes when I walk the docks and see several dozen boats with stairs of every description and then I get $80 added to my bill for a 1-hour charge because they had to place my 2-pound commercially built step into my cockpit. When I first came to this marina in 2005 I showed the harbor master the step I wanted to use and asked if I could take it down to the dock edge rail with a couple of #6x3/4" SS screws and was told "no problem".
The previous version of the rules stated:
9. Free access to all marina facilities must be maintained. Roadways, gangways, piers, floats and float fingers shall not be obstructed at any time without permission of the harbormaster. Boarding steps must not occupy more than half the width of the finger pier, and must be stored on the boat or in some other storage area when not in use.
The problem can be solved by a simple addition to the statement above "without permission of the harbormaster. That way, he can prevent dangerous steps from being used.
As the rules now read, no one can have steps but a quick walk of the docks shows that this is being enforced in a "capricious and arbitrary manner".

Last edited:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Hayden, time to move on to a more friendly marina. That bad attitude at your marina comes from the very top and filters down. I have left two marinas in the past that had tyrannical managers, whose bad attitude infected the entire marina staff. Everyone in that marina will be affected eventually. Also, such people cannot be reasoned with. Sail away if you can.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Bravo to each of you who commented on the inattention to the need for schools, and particularly school counselors to recognize that college isn’t for everyone. There is a high demand for people trained in skilled trades, and the jobs pay very well. It irritates me to no end that the emphasis on the “need” for a college education had tended to stigmatize those individuals who are better suited to a career path other than college.
(I have two sons with diametrically opposite learning styles. One, college educated and in management, who doesn’t know which end of a screwdriver is the working end. The other, is a hands on learner, who seems to be capable of doing just about anything he senses a need to do. They both do well in life.)
Now I will get off my soapbox...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hayden, time to move on to a more friendly marina. That bad attitude at your marina comes from the very top and filters down. I have left two marinas in the past that had tyrannical managers, whose bad attitude infected the entire marina staff. Everyone in that marina will be affected eventually. Also, such people cannot be reasoned with. Sail away if you can.
Ditto, Roy. Left our first marina several years ago for similar reasons and moved to Everett marina expecting a better result. Not so. Got entangled with the director of marina operations who would not reason with my position, so left for our current marina, Shelter Bay, where we have been much happier. Been there several years. Small, friendly staff, no hassle and easy access to the islands.

Apr 5, 2009
Unfortunately for me, this marina is just 2-miles from my house and the next nearest is more than 25 miles away and 45 minutes by car.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Trouble with these petty tyrants is that they are little people in big jobs. Goes right to their heads and they think they are now kings and by right should oppress the people around them. You will find no peace in your present marina. I feel your pain.