Boarding Ladder Failure

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My C30 is still on the hard while I prepare for launch, which will be May 6th if all goes well.

Yesterday I found the port side ladder support leg bending in and down. This leg is welded onto the main ladder frame tubing. The main tubing is collapsing at the weld, causing the leg to bend inward.
I've used the boarding ladder maybe 6 times while the boat has been in the water.
When on the hard I rarely need it to get on the boat, using rolling stairs instead.
This past week I climbed aboard using the ladder, maybe 4-5 times a day, for the past 5 days.
I weigh around 235.

I only noticed the bent leg yesterday. I think I would have noticed it earlier but it's possible I missed it.

Here are some questions I have:
1. Could this have happened slowly over a period of time or is it a sudden failure?
2. Once the tube starts to collapse I imagine it is weakened and it will continue to collapse under less stress? True?
2. Is using the ladder while on the hard over stressing the ladder compared to using it when you're in the water?
3. Any ideas for repair or replace?

I should mentioned that this ladder is designed to fold up and fill the gap in the aft railings. It becomes the back rest for the helm.

I'm concerned internal corrosion may have weakened the wall of the ladder tubing and it is a sign the ladder is on its way out.

I appreciate all thoughts and suggestions
Thanks
Ward

Edited to add photo of complete ladder.
Boat Ladder.jpeg IMG_1866.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I'm concerned internal corrosion may have weakened the wall of the ladder tubing and it is a sign the ladder is on its way out.
The ladder appears to be Stainless Steel tubing and swivels up and out of the water normally.
Corrosion would be negligible.
But corrosion near the weld area is possible, but can be re-welded.

Mine was bent for unusual reasons, not corrosion.
The repair is different.
They will heat the tubing and bend straight.

Jim...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I had my ladder repaired. Found a local welder on the line who did SS. He charged me $90.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The foot may have been just a bit off center when it was originally made. If it was not hitting the transom exactly squarely, it would slowly bend away from the spot where it touches the transom. You may be able to remove the bumper and slide a piece of pipe over the leg and bend it back slowly until it is directly under the vertical tube. Yup, it will continue bending now that it has gotten off perpendicular..

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
At the risk of delaying launch date I think I would remove the boarding ladder from the boat and check on getting it repaired or perhaps replacing it. Reasoning: (1) The leg is bent and appears to have caused some marring of the gelcoat where the leg meets the hull. (2) There is some minor staining under the round attachments to the hull. It would be a good time to replace the fasteners and re-bed the attachments. (3) Check on the other through-hull fittings in that area because there is some other staining visible.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here are some questions I have:
1. Could this have happened slowly over a period of time or is it a sudden failure?
2. Once the tube starts to collapse I imagine it is weakened and it will continue to collapse under less stress? True?
2. Is using the ladder while on the hard over stressing the ladder compared to using it when you're in the water?
3. Any ideas for repair or replace?
I'll take a SWAG at the questions.
  1. It happened over time and is still happening. It will ultimately fail perhaps suddenly. You could poke at the weld and the metal. Suspect the lower part of the foot weld was weak, perhaps because of the weld. The surface rust would cause me to wonder about the metal. You can do some tapping with a happed and see what occurs.
  2. Yes and Yes. If you have rust at work you have nailed the ultimate outcome.
  3. I'd take the ladder down and inspect it. I think the ideas of getting a welder to take a look and a shot at a repair is a good one. You may spend $50 to $150 on the repair. Better than expending several hundreds of dollars on a new ladder. While down you can clean up the ladder and make it good for a couple more seasons. Also get a new rubber end for the ladder legs. It looks like it is leaving marks on your pretty boat top side.
Plenty of time to do the deed. You do not need the ladder on the boat to launch. Just back into your slip when you get the ladder ready to reinstall.

Nice ladder and design. Fits the boat well.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Better than expending several hundreds of dollars on a new ladder.
The price for a new ladder from Catalina Direct is :eek: $1,333:angry:. I'll call the Catalina factory tomorrow to see if they have any laying around for a better price but:

The suggestions for repair all sound good. I'll be pulling the ladder tomorrow and will look around for a shop to repair it.

The maring on the gel coat is from the PO who didn't have rubber feet on the ends when I bought the boat. I have spares to put on.

The one bad rust stain is the drain for the compartment housing the steering mechanism. Edson used an iron bracket for the stop on the radial wheel.

Many thanks!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... the PO who didn't have rubber feet on the ends when I bought the boat. I have spares to put on.
I assume it is one-inch tube? I always put a one-inch washer, or maybe a quarter $ into the rubber cap so the tube does not push it's way through the cap . The same deal as for the vertical supports for cockpit seats mounted to the stern rails.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2012
Hunter 27 Penetang ON
Regarding your question #2 (2), I have a telescoping boarding ss ladder that nestles into the sugar scoop transom on my H27. Early on I read somewhere in the Hunter owner's manual that using it to board on the hard is NOT recommended. Admittedly, mine is a different setup to yours, but I feel that the same caveat applies in your case.

• Helpful

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Update.
Catalina Yachts is looking to see if they have one. They have plenty of older ladders, not sure if they have this design.
My yard sent me to a local fabricator , who turned down the job to repair the ladder.
I have friends in CA looking around at used boat parts places in their area. Someone gave me a link to a place more local.
Tomorrow I will contact some machine shops I used to do business with pre retirement to see if they can help.

A boarding ladder we can trust is important to us.
IMG_0652.jpeg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
I assume it is one-inch tube? I always put a one-inch washer, or maybe a quarter $ into the rubber cap so the tube does not push it's way through the cap . The same deal as for the vertical supports for cockpit seats mounted to the stern rails.
I pulled the rubber cap off and saw that the legs have plugs welded in. No wonder the legs didn't punch through the rubber caps.
IMG_1872.jpeg
IMG_1872.jpeg

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
The ladders on the Catalina 28s were sealed units with caps on the legs just like your photo. Over time water can get in as the rivets holding the pads loosen. Eventually water gets in the tubes and when the ladder is locked upright that weld would likely would be be sitting in it. It looks like the weld is holding but the tube at the joint is weakend. Do you hear water sloshing as you move the ladder?
The right repair person will make it good as new. There is a guy I can recommend in North East, Maryland, he added stern seats to my stock railing. Hopefully you can find someone closer

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Update:
Last week I found a fab shop specializing in SS restaurant equipment. They believe it bent due to the large leverage action due to the multiple steps under the support leg. They thought they would be able to bend it back.
Picked it up today. The shop did a great job bending the bent leg back into place. Hardly noticeable unless you know it had been bent.
We talked about a gusset or other reinforcement. The shop owner feels any welding on the SS tubing will create another weak spot.
I'll keep a close eye on it.

And no charge. Professional courtesy from my firefighter days. Turns out the owners son, another employee and I were volunteer firefighters together back in the day.

Ladder Repaired.jpeg

Thanks all