Bluewater capable

Status
Not open for further replies.

dch

Jul 5, 2004
- - Amelia Island, Fl
I have an '86 Idyll 11.5, the boat is in excellent condition. She has a shoal draft keel and displaces 15,000#. I know as a "production boat" folks will say that this boat is not a bluewater boat. Could someone enlighten me as to whether this boat would be considered bluewater. Next Winter I am going to sail to the Bahamas from Ft. Lauderdale. I feel very confortable on this boat going to the bahamas but was curious what some of you thought as to going any futher. Also, has anyone sailed a Beneteau of this size from Florida to the Bahamas and what was your experience? Thanks, DCH

Jun 25, 2004
Islander 36 San Francisco
I consider it Bluewater

I think you have a great boat. Personally I would consider this boat “bluewater”. Many people have sailed around the world on boats much less compatible that an Idyll 11.5 and have had a wonderful time. Of course on the other hand some people get sea sick on the QE2. You of course need to make sure your boat is in good shape and well equipped to make any journey and as with any boat voyage the most important things are the captain and the crew. You need to feel comfortable in your boating skills. Sounds like a great trip in the making. --Dan

Jul 13, 2004
Beneteau 345 Tampa
Beneteau Bluewater

The boat is very capable, I'd take my First 345 anywhere. Like the other fello said, it's more about the crew's ability. Are you perpared to change fuel filters while underway in the gulfstream? Do you carry at least three spares? Can you reef the main without a second thought about the effort? Go, have fun, the boat will do fine, so will you if you are perpared for the trip.

dch

Jul 5, 2004
- - Amelia Island, Fl
Thanks

Thanks for the response. I feel quite capable in my abilities. I just wanted some confirmation of what I already felt was true about the boat. dch

Status
Not open for further replies.