Blue water over the bow

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
Tried to go out into the ocean today off the cost of Atlantic City NJ.. the longport inlet has really filled in with sand and all the waves are really building in the slot. i could see the ocean was calm, but trying to beat out through the inlet i took three blue water shots over the bow and then decided to turn around and sail the bay.

i'd like to know when everyone else thinks enough is enough.. the boat was handling it just fine, but i didn't like it.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i'd like to know when everyone else thinks enough is enough.. the boat was handling it just fine, but i didn't like it.

a man has to know his limitations in order to be successful......

regards

woody

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 35 and Mariner 2+2 Alexandria, VA
Sometimes when it seems like work, it often is. Better to enjoy the day then get beaten to a pulp. Plus you know the boat was good for it so that is a confidence builder.

We did the same a few weeks back, tucked into Shark river to give the seas a chance to subside, the boat did just fine, but the crew was definitely tired. As luck would have it, about 30 minutes after tying up, that big line of thrunderstorms rolled through and we were able to watch it with dark and stormies in hand.

I would be completely happy with your decision.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
I have found

I have found on several occasions that the boat is much more capable than I am. And not too many years ago, I really got my a&% kicked coming in that exact same place. Do what you feel you can handle. That way you will almost always be safe, as the boat can take more.

Feb 16, 2011
Macgregor 26X Michigan City, IN
Respect mother nature...and trust your instincts. :D

Tried to go out into the ocean today off the cost of Atlantic City NJ.. the longport inlet has really filled in with sand and all the waves are really building in the slot. i could see the ocean was calm, but trying to beat out through the inlet i took three blue water shots over the bow and then decided to turn around and sail the bay.

xsiddr

Jun 14, 2009
BENETEAU 361 Worton Creek, MD
We kept our boat for years in Longport. I grew up going in and out that inlet. It has become truly treacherous. Two years ago, after a really frightening time coming back in, we decided that was enough. That inlet had become too unpredictable. We moved our boat to the Chesapeake and couldn't be happier. Sometimes, it's not the weather or the skill. Great Egg Harbor inlet is just dangerous.
Regards
Bob
s/v Kaylic

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Brought a boat back from Harbour Cove last week and the GE Inlet was a mess. And it was a nice day! That inlet changes every time I'm in it!

Sailed yesterday and last night and Absecon Inlet was pretty rough during the day but flattened out nicely at night. The ocean was lively to say the least. I understand it was the same today.

http://youtu.be/OsbfVuKYO4s

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36_1980 Bass River, NJ
I was on the Longport Beach with my beautiful wife yestarday. Water temp is nice, took a day off work to enjoy the weekend.
First I was a little bummed because the wind was steady but the ocean surf was snooty. Then I watched a few sailboats head out GE and seen you get pounded going out and head back in. It is so wise to check your
gut when sailing and react accordingly. GE is not a nice inlet on most days
and its going to continue to close and shift unless some major (doubtful )
dredging takes place.
Absecon Inlet does create some strong seas but it's depth takes
some pressure off.
Enjoy the rest of summer sailing to everyone.

Joe
s/v Trinity

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
I was on the Longport Beach with my beautiful wife yestarday.Then I watched a few sailboats head out GE and seen you get pounded going out and head back in.
Ha... so you saw me make the attempt and abort. i could only imagine what the top of my mast looked like swinging back and forth as i hit those waves.. The period was so short when i was done getting over one wave the next was right there for me to spear with the bowsprit. its too bad it was so bad there, it would gave been a stellar day of sailing off the beaches..

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I have taken green water over the bow several times and I really would rather not. The boat handles it with no complaint BUT I don't.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
a man has to know his limitations in order to be successful......

regards

woody
Gutherie, Allen, Harrelson, Pecker or Pride (Sheriff Woody, Toy Story)?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Happened to us years ago in the BVI. They are called standing waves. Tide vs wind. after the third or 4th, you are home free, out of the slot into the flat wide open sea. In our case we were leaving Bitter End and
not worried about coming back in later. Big waves on the stern could be worse than on the pointy end. You done good to know your limits.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA

Good decision...go with your gut. When your gut says, "I probably shouldn't do this, but...." that's when you get in trouble.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine

Wind was horrible the night we moored at Damariscove Island, ME. You could hear it howling in the trees on each side of us but nestled in our SAFE little cove, we slept on calm waters. Next morning the wind had lessened but the waves out of the mouth of the cove were still daunting. About 1:00, we decided that we needed to run to the next island even if the weather was a little rough, so we girded our loins, started the iron genny and steamed out. By the time we reached the outer channel marker (about 5 minutes), we had almost soiled our shorts. We high tailed it back in and grabbed the same mooring we had left. Worked out well. The other moored boat invited us for dinner on the island with some other friends. Met some fine people and enjoyed some casual conversation. When we got back home I checked data from the nearest weather buoy. Waves were 8 1/2 feet that day. Discretion is the better part of valor.

Status
Not open for further replies.