Blue Water Copper Shield bottom paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
Anyone have experience of more than one season with this paint? And what was it. I just stripped my hull and am thinking of using it. Thanks Ernie

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
blue water paints

Anyone have experience of more than one season with this paint? And what was it. I just stripped my hull and am thinking of using it. Thanks Ernie
- - - - // - - - -

Blue water paints. I have used them. They are not the biggest company but usually fairly priced. Their chief chemist developed the interlux equivalent paints then sold the patents to interlux. He retained previous formulas for his use and started Blue Water Paints.

I added copper powder to mine from:
http://www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html

Ed K

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Yeah- The copper content looks great and I like the fact that its hard, but I ordered the Blue Water stuff this AM so now that's what we'll use this year. Price is good at $ 106 per gallon. Time will tell. Thanks
That's not a bad price. I'm paying $131.00 a gallon. Hey what the heck. Give this Blue Water paint a try. It might be good stuff.

What I like about Super Shipbottom Ablative bottom paint is the fact that it has a high copper content, you only need one coat, and it can be applied over most bottom paints or even bare fiberglass because it has the primer built right into it. I'll apply it to my bottom this year and next year I'll use what ever is left over in the can to spot paint the hull where needed. So I'm not doing the whole bottom every year.
They will ship one gallon through the US Post Office but more than one gallon needs to be shipped UPS with an extra $20 hazardous waste charge tacked on to the price.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
upside down paint

That's not a bad price. I'm paying $131.00 a gallon. Hey what the heck. Give this Blue Water paint a try. It might be good stuff.

What I like about Super Shipbottom Ablative bottom paint is the fact that it has a high copper content, you only need one coat, and it can be applied over most bottom paints or even bare fiberglass because it has the primer built right into it. I'll apply it to my bottom this year and next year I'll use what ever is left over in the can to spot paint the hull where needed. So I'm not doing the whole bottom every year.
They will ship one gallon through the US Post Office but more than one gallon needs to be shipped UPS with an extra $20 hazardous waste charge tacked on to the price.
- - - - // - - - -

Yea, they will ship one gallon thru the mail. And ship it upside down, to boot. Some years ago I ordered a gallon from them and it arrived late in a plastic bag. They had packaged it top down.

Yea they reshipped it. So when you order from them specify top up with package labeled the top needs to be up...

Ed K

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
- - - - // - - - -

Yea, they will ship one gallon thru the mail. And ship it upside down, to boot. Some years ago I ordered a gallon from them and it arrived late in a plastic bag. They had packaged it top down.

Yea they reshipped it. So when you order from them specify top up with package labeled the top needs to be up...

Ed K
I told George my mailman to be careful of that stuff when it's in his truck because the fumes from that stuff could kill him. They no longer ship it in metal containers. The stuff can eat out metal. It's shipped in plastic containers now with plastic lids.
I'll have to email the guy's secretary and remind her of this. I think that they run a small business and that guy named Ed does all the work. His wife is the secretary and she takes all the orders. They make one color a month from what I've heard. She said that she'd ship me the paint at the end of March.

Status
Not open for further replies.