Blue paint chipped away

Apr 8, 2020
Hunter 27 Aylmer
I just pressure-washed the old bottom paint right to the original blue paint. It does a great job, BTW. I found small (maybe 1/4'') circles on the blue original paint. I went on and chipped some and it looks pretty dry under them (no sign of any liquid or osmotic hydrolisis). Thing is, there are a lot! And there are many more that are still visible but are very hard to crack open. There's no evidence of decay of the white stuff (as I presume that it's the gelcoat). Boat has spent the last 5 years, at least, on the dry. Some rain water was found last year inside the boat.
The holly question: osmosis or bad blue paint contact with the gelcoat?
thumbnail1.jpg
thumbnail2.jpg
thumbnail3.jpg
thumbnail4.jpg
thumbnail5.jpg

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The last picture indicates ‘print through’ of the fiberglass mat indicating the gel coat is gone or so thin as to be transparent. If that’s the case, you might want to investigate further. It’s hard to tell based on pictures.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I am not familiar with your model boat but I have seen the white spots on my hull in the past.
They are the remains of barnacles which came off when you pressure washed the hull and took the underlying paint with them. I don't think they are the dreaded "boat pox".
The problem is easily fixed with some medium sanding around each "dot", followed by some barrier coat, followed by some bottom paint.

Of course, being as you are the meticulous sort of boat owner who always wants to do justice to your pride and joy, you will, no doubt, sand the entire bottom, apply two coats of epoxy barrier paint and then select the best bottom paint for your home port location.
The local, old salt boat owners will tell you what paint works best in your area!
And don't forget to prep appropriately after each coat of paint as necessary.
The lack of prep is the reason most bottom jobs fail. There are hundreds of You tube videos on the subject. And, btw, do the work yourself, unless prohibited by your haul out yard.

Oh, and are you missing your stern tube?

Apr 8, 2020
Hunter 27 Aylmer
Oh, and are you missing your stern tube?
Thanks for the insight ggrizzard. I had a few barnacles that came off chipping the blue paint at the same time. My stern tube has been removed for easier access to that area.
So far, if I don't need to sand off the whole blue stuff, I'll be doing Water-tite compound over those chips and Interprotect 2000E two or more coats, then bottom paint.