Blown exhaust not enough I guess

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
That is my concern, so I am biting the bullet and getting a new one from Westerbeke as they will stand behind it. The Z-400 is what I see as well, but I do not have a Kubota dealer nearby and do not want to hold up the yard's dock longer than needed, nor do I want to give them a tractor part that might have some silly little difference that stops the mechanic in his tracks. All of the input here has been terrific, however. I am still curious as to chicken or egg as cause, but will be sure there is good alignment when all is done. My sense is the odds say the belt broke first, being 25 years old, but we will never know I guess. Turns out my engine panel is a standard model with no low oil/overheat alarm built in. Been sailing now for 50 years and this is my first tow, so I cannot complain.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
That is my concern, so I am biting the bullet and getting a new one from Westerbeke as they will stand behind it. The Z-400 is what I see as well, but I do not have a Kubota dealer nearby and do not want to hold up the yard's dock longer than needed, nor do I want to give them a tractor part that might have some silly little difference that stops the mechanic in his tracks. All of the input here has been terrific, however. I am still curious as to chicken or egg as cause, but will be sure there is good alignment when all is done. My sense is the odds say the belt broke first, being 25 years old, but we will never know I guess. Turns out my engine panel is a standard model with no low oil/overheat alarm built in. Been sailing now for 50 years and this is my first tow, so I cannot complain.
More likely than not, the belt failed because the coolant pump was or had failed. The pumps fail for a number of reasons. Corrosion, bent shaft, too much tension in the belt are the three most common. I had mine go out when the boat was about 13-years old. That replacement pump has been working well for the past 23-years.

I got my pump from the local Kubota dealer, but they are also available from many suppliers on-line.

• Helpful
Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
For the M12, it turns out the situation is tricky. There were apparently two different M12 cases, one where the impeller offset from extends from the pump flange 3/8", the other is 1/2" and they are not interchangeable. One has to remove the old one and measure because they do not even go by serial number of the motor! The 3/8" offset requires pump part no. 301336, the 1/2" gets 302756. Both then require the same gasket, 301340. Hansen Marine (NE Distributor) reports about once a year someone tries to "eyeball" the clearance and winds up putting in the wrong one and cracking the casting, so not something to fool with. Those of you with other Universal engines may have it easier.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
This turned into 6 hours of shop labor as two of the 4 pump bolts sheared and also the Adjuster bolt on the alternator bracket. The tech's (an old guy who has seen a lot) opinion was that the pump seized shearing the belt not the reverse. Maybe the lesson is if your engine is 20+ years old, change out the fresh water (coolant) pump as you will get no warning such as a drip we see on the sea water pumps.