blocks - Ronstan Vs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello, I want to buy some new blocks for my main sheet. I need a double with becket for the traveler, and three single blocks for the boom. The blocks on the boat are schaefer, and seem well made. I can buy new ones from Defender for $165. I can get the same blocks by Ronstan for $100. Are the Scheafer that much better? Is there something wrong with Ronstan? Anything else? I need to change the existing setup because the previous owner ran the main sheet from the mid boom traveler straight back to the cockpit for reasons I don't want to go into. I could just buy a double block for the traveler and 1 single block for the boom, but I would rather start with all new blocks. Thanks, Barry

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
Consider Garhauer too. They make good equipment.

Are an OEM supplier for Cat and others too.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
They're all good

There is nothing wrong with Ronstan, they are somewhat utilitarian, most don't have ball bearings. Both Schaefer and Ronstan make blocks that do and don't have ball bearings. Schaefer has always been a little bit overpriced, but I'll tell ya, they are well built. The ones on my boat are 36 years old and still work fine. I really like the Lewmar Synchro block we sell on this site, they're light and really reduce friction over non ball bearing blocks. (Lewmar Synchro's are not ball bearing, sort of a different technology). We carry Harken and Garhauer as well. Garhauer and Harken are also excellent choices. You really can't go too wrong with any of the above. That being said, you'll be happier in the long run with ball bearing blocks; friction (or the reduction there of) is the key, mainsheet traveler systems in particular. Dave Groshong Customer Service SailboatOwners.com toll free 877-932-7245 ext.116

Status
Not open for further replies.