blisters??

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Ihlenfeldt

I noticed some eight inch blister-type blemishes near the waterline. I assumed they were blisters as they were gel coat white. They were hard and could not be punctured (no water). I took some 120 grit sandpaper by hand and sanded them off. It seems the gel coat underneath is intact. 120 grit by hand should not go through the gel coat. The boat has had vc-17 on it and it was put on by the dealer so I don't know if the blemishes were there when new. They are all near the water line on one side of the boat and seem to be in several groupings. Any one else have a similar problems?

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
YES!

Hauled my 410 (hull #47) in June for its second birthday, and discovered a dozen dime-sized blisters. Shocked. I took photographs of them, sent them along to Hunter and requested advice. Have not heard back from them yet. Bill, how old is your 410 ? Hull number?

B

Bill Ihlenfeldt

John, my hunter 410 is a 1998, #160 put in service June 1999.

J

Jim Russell

Blisters

Bill: I've had a couple of similar blisters on my 340 that was delivered in June 97. They were unique in that they only occured in they starboard aft quadant of the hull, but all were just above the waterline. The factory notes that while these are blisters and covered under the warrenty, they are not the variety that generates considerable concern. They are most likely caused by moisture condensation in the above water final coat of gel. This may have occurred if this area was finished on a particularly humid day. Note also that the above water final gelcoat is different than the below water gelcoat. Interesting that all three boats were delivered in the late spring early summer period. Since the blisters did not penetrate the glass at all, they would not cause delamination, etc. However they should be repaired and Hunter stands by their warrenty. Contact them to see if you really need to do any more than sand them out. See the home web page of HOW for their email access. Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.