Blistering Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Larry K

I am about to put an offer in on a 1998 36cc. The only thing that I have heard negatively that is of concern to me is that Beneteau has had troubles with blistering in the past. Can anyone enlighten me on this subject? Do you know if instances where these boats have had problems beyond the norm? Thanks you in advance for whatever help you can give me.

J

Jack

Not since the late 80's

Dear Larry, I knew that Beneteau had some problems in the 80's with blistering, but I understand that the problem has been corrected. We owned a 1991 Beneteau 370 and never had a blister problem and we currently own a 1999 411 without any blister problems either. I would have absolutely no reservations about buying another Beneteau in the future and niether should you. Best of Luck, Jack Benteau 411

P

Phil

No blisters

We own a 1996 Beneteau 321 that we purchased new. It came with a hull guarantee that was transferable to new owners. I don't recall how long the guarantee was good for, but it shows the faith that Beneteau has in its barrier coat. We have had no problems with blistering, or with anything else on the boat. Call me a completely satisfied owner -- if only the boat was 40 ft. instead of 32.......

S

shm

more history on blisters

The bad rap Beneteau got for blisters is because of a run of bad hulls when they first started production in Carolina. The layup in the 1985 U.S. manufactured boats had a batch of bad resin. As soon as the fault was found they recalled those boats and repaired the problem. As far as I know they have not had more than their share of osmotic blistering since. I own a French manufactured 1985 first 345 and have not had a blister problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.