Blister on Rudder

Nov 13, 2020
Hunter H34 Chesapeake Bay
My boat was hauled out last week for the winter. Upon inspection, I detected a blister about 3/4 up from the bottom. See attached video. When I push on it, water congress out. Should I start peeling away to see what it exposes? I'm not planning to have the bottom painted until next summer, after I splash for spring sailing.

Thanks.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm no expert but I would open it now. Then you have all that time for it to dry out before you repair and repaint.
The .mov didn't have any video for me.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Drain now as everyone says - you'll also want to find out how the water is getting in the rudder and seal that after it dries out. Here's a recent thread to check out: Saturated rudder

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Looks like more than a simple, single blister.

I would open up the areas you pushed on, and the areas where water came out ( or the whole area if not too extensive). It is going to need to dry, and you are going to need to see what all is going on in there so yo7 can come up with a repair plan.

I had some cracks on the bottom edge of my rudder (found it about 2 weeks before launch day). No water in mine since it sat out all winter, but I did have to lay fiberglass all along the leading edge and bottom of the rudder. Seemed to work, except my paint job failed over the summer…I don’t think the paint cured before I put her in the water.

Greg

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That doesn't look like a blister to me... blisters look like ... uh... blisters.... and the fluid stinks...like rotten eggs. If it's water you have a leak in your rudder. I'd drain it (need to drill a hole at lowest part) perhaps a little air pressure and soap to find the source of the leak... make the repair.. test again.. etc. Don't let water stay in over winter, it can freeze and make more damage. But.... it's not a complicated fix.

Nov 13, 2020
Hunter H34 Chesapeake Bay
Thanks for the replies and great info everyone. I went there today and drilled three holes in the bottom. A little water came out of the most forward hole. Very little, maybe an 1/2 ounce. I peeled away the built up paint around the place on the side that I called a blister. The water there had all dried up. It looks like it could have simply been a breach of just the numerous layers of paint and water trapped in behind it. I talked to a shipwright today and I'm going to have him look at it Friday.