Blister attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert A Garvey

I had my boat pulled yesterday to clean the bottom and put on fresh bottom paint. I discovered two bad blisters about the size of a quarter. They have both penetrated the gel coat and I could see the glass, also they leaked water when pressed. A closer inspection revealed many other blister that did not penetrate the gel cost but appeared to be between the bottom paint and the barrier coat. I purchased the boat three years ago and at that time the surveyor found no issues with the hull. The boat is in excellent condition and has been well cared for both by the previous owner and myself. My yard owner checked the problem and advised that I would need to have the hull stripped and rebuilt at a cost of $200-$300 a foot. I have great respect for his knowledge and honesty but this seems like overkill. I would appreciate any advice on the subject. Thanks

Jun 7, 2004
Birch Bay Washington
Grind the blisters only

Opinions will vary but mine is to just do the blisters as they appear. Grind them out, wipe with acetone, dry them out, fill with West System epoxy mixed with gell bubbles, fair it out and paint it over. I have done this for a couple of decades of boats and it works for me. Don't worry, be happy!

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Agree with Patrick

There is also a Bondo material made for this procedure. Quick-easy-cheap. Just open the blisters up and rinse them out with water. Clean them up and slap the filler of your choice into the void. Use some epoxy sealer and repaint the botton. I have seen some boats that have had this process after 6 or 8 years they are just like the day that it was originally done. When the bottom is power washed a lightly sanded most of the paint blisters will be history. My boat was like that on its last trip out of the water. We have never had a blister on our 1985 H'31. It lives in warm fresh water most of the time. This is supposed to be the worst environment for blisters.

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 28.5 Palm Coast, FL
blisters?

The basic thought is...if you press on the blister and it's soft, grind it open and let it drain and dry out for a few days. Then repair it. I like marine tex. If you push on it and it's hard leave it alone.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
If you plan to keep the boat ... blisters are NOT

a big deal. More boats probably have been ruined by do-it-yourself-blister-repair than simply leaving them alone!!!! Too much hype over 'blisters' that causes much loss of $$$$$. My personal preferencee is if a DIY blister job has been performed on a boat that Im looking at .... its usually a 'dealbreaker' and I simply walk away. A grinder in the hands of an unpracticed novice usually will make blister much WORSE. You 'can' do the repair job yourself but it takes some bit of knowledge of what the 'modern' thinking of correct blister repair. go to www.yachtsurvey.com OR www.yachtsurvey.com/blisters.htm and follow the links to "BLISTERS".

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Don't worry about a few bisters

There are a number of blister repair systems available in your local chandlery which include repair instructions. There are many repair books and articles on blister repair. Try a google search. Your yard owner is not the honest guy you think he is. I've seen bottoms with hundreds of blisters than repair quite nicely. If the problem becomes recurring, the next step is to barrier coat the bottom after repairing the blisters.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
additional comment....

RichH made a very good comment. A grinder near gelcoat is a very dangerous thing in the hands of an amateur. Believe me, I know. I quickly learned that the best way to safely open and clean the blister cavity was with a hand tool such as a sharp chisel.

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Blisters

Robert, a couple of blisters is not a real problem and at this point I would leave them alone. The pose no structural issues with the integrity of your boat and outside of being unsightly will have little effect. Do keep your eye on it and it they get worse or you start to get more of them, then address the problem. Charlie

R

Robert A Garvey

THnaks for the advice

Thanks for the advice. I think I went into shock yesterday. I did find quiote a few other blisters but as I mentioned they seem to be between the barrier coat and the bottom paint.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Blisters between the Barrier and the Paint .....

.... is a paint adhesion problem. Someone probably 'hot coated' the bottoms paint: painting the barrier coat before it fully cured and the amine blush of the epoxide polymer wasnt removed removed before bottom paint application ..... bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.